Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Jennifer's Body.

It wasn't very good.

Positive points. Well... it was watchable. Even amusing in places. And the lead girls were attractive, but that's to be expected. [spoiler]Oh and I'll admit I liked the twist at the end. Although it was a bit predictable.[/spoiler]

Actually the idea wasn't that bad but I think they should have included more suspense. Then again it wasn't trying to take itself seriously and had it's burnt tongue* firmly in it's cheek.

About it really.

*Wasn't that bit wince-worthy? In an ouchy sense I mean.

JamesC

I really like Jennifer's Body - found it really entertaining.

Watched I Give It A Year yesterday.
It was quite funny but didn't have the charm of those 90's Working Title rom coms. The main characters were both pretty unlikable in my book and I don't think the film had a 'feel good' vibe which I think these films probably need. One of those films where the secondary characters outshine the leads.

Hawkmumbler

Ted (2012)-  :lol:

Tron: Legacy (2010)-  :)

Rock of Ages (2012)-  ::)

Hitchock (2013)-  :|

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1969)-  :D

Zarjazzer

Cobra, yes that one with camp Dredd starring. Unintentional hilarity all round with  every eighties cliche in the script,tough,maverick cop  faces down the psychos (bikers) and those at city Hall (mahhnn),whilst protecting some big haired lady babe. Part of the film resembles the worst of 80's pop videos on a "fashion" shoot (it is L.A. after all) .The big shoot out at the end has SS hitting five guys mostly  on motorikes with just five shots from a pistol. The appalling music sounds like Gloria Estefan put through a mincemeat machine, and the cowardly television editing means we don't even get to see the big bad die properly. It can't be being edited for naffness for that would exclude the whole movie.

See this movie to test your sanity.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

JamesC

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 10 February, 2013, 11:39:30 AM
Cobra, yes that one with camp Dredd starring. Unintentional hilarity all round with  every eighties cliche in the script,tough,maverick cop  faces down the psychos (bikers) and those at city Hall (mahhnn),whilst protecting some big haired lady babe. Part of the film resembles the worst of 80's pop videos on a "fashion" shoot (it is L.A. after all) .The big shoot out at the end has SS hitting five guys mostly  on motorikes with just five shots from a pistol. The appalling music sounds like Gloria Estefan put through a mincemeat machine, and the cowardly television editing means we don't even get to see the big bad die properly. It can't be being edited for naffness for that would exclude the whole movie.

The Spectrum game was ace though especially when you went on the define keys screen: Up, Down, Left, Right, Murder.

Mabs

Dune - a rewatch. Its been ages since i last watched it, its not a masterpiece by all means, but boy was it close to being one. Watching it again i realised a lot of sci-fi films had taken inspiration from it, not least The Chronicles of Riddick. Just the design of the Necromonger's ship screams Dune, not to mention names of planets like Helium PRIME and Dame Judi Dench narration at the opening is very reminiscent of Dune's opening. I wonder if we will ever get another attempt at a movie? Frank Herbert's original novella is so rich, that i would love to see a new film.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

von Boom

Quote from: Mabs on 10 February, 2013, 12:41:12 PM
Dune - a rewatch. Its been ages since i last watched it, its not a masterpiece by all means, but boy was it close to being one. Watching it again i realised a lot of sci-fi films had taken inspiration from it, not least The Chronicles of Riddick. Just the design of the Necromonger's ship screams Dune, not to mention names of planets like Helium PRIME and Dame Judi Dench narration at the opening is very reminiscent of Dune's opening. I wonder if we will ever get another attempt at a movie? Frank Herbert's original novella is so rich, that i would love to see a new film.

Was it the Lynch or Smithee version?

I agree that Dune is still a good film, even with the flaws. I would love to see a really good attempt at Dune. Just so long as Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson are NOT involved in any way.

Buttonman

Two films that deal with obession and mania -

The Big Year : Owen Wilson, Jack Black and Steve Martin compete to see who can see the most birds in one year. I liked this mostly gentle fun with some cracking locations and excellent cast - Rosamund Pike - yum!

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre : Our second favourite Dobbs goes nutty over the gold and takes on everyone including some top notch Mexicans "Badges? We no need badges...". Got the Blu-Ray and although it shows up some rear projection work it was great.

Mabs

Quote from: von Boom on 10 February, 2013, 12:47:42 PM

Was it the Lynch or Smithee version?

I agree that Dune is still a good film, even with the flaws. I would love to see a really good attempt at Dune. Just so long as Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson are NOT involved in any way.

Its the Alan Smithee version. (i've seen the theatrical version too).

I echo your sentiments too; if there is another attempt we need fresh perspective and a director with a big vision and scope, not to mention experience- but importantly not have soneone breathing down their neck. But i for one would love to see another go at it.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Zarjazzer

Quote from: JamesC on 10 February, 2013, 12:39:14 PM
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 10 February, 2013, 11:39:30 AM

The Spectrum game was ace though especially when you went on the define keys screen: Up, Down, Left, Right, Murder.

Hey having now watched this game on youtube it's better acted than the movie. :)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Charlie boy

I actually feel sorry for what Lynch suffered on Dune. He had the studio pulling cast members out for promotional interviews without giving him any notice- ruining his shooting schedule, he wanted it to be a 15 but the studio wanted it to be a U to be the 'new' Star Wars- meaning a lot of great sounding scenes were removed from it, scenes he had already shot for part 2 were thrown into Dune- just odd, and then there was just the constant badgering he was getting on what the studio wanted it to be. What good came of it? He did Blue Velvet and when the studio asked for changes he said he would take a pay cut if he could have final say and they allowed it , and that is how he has worked since (with the exception of the Twin Peaks TV series).
I think it's in the latest Empire that Lynch gets asked how close he really came to directing Return of the Jedi and he says something like "I met George for dinner and we discussed a few ideas, but then he showed me a picture of something called a 'wookie'..."

Spikes

Professor Bear

Watched the original Dune movie recently, followed shortly after by the Sci-Fi Channel version.  The first one is a better single-sitting movie experience, but the latter uses its longer runtime to create a story more sprawling in scope, and I find the blatant painted backdrops in many desert scenes to be quite charming, giving the production a stagey feel the Lynch/Smithee version lacked.  The CGI is very obvious, but it's a committed production and captures a nice multiplanetary feel compared to the film's more desert-bound romp.

judda fett

Have to give this a rewatch soon. Would love there to have been the Jodorowsky version with the Geiger and Moebius designs they started. Real shame that wasn't seen through.

Spikes

Schindlers list. Havent seen this in an absolute age, but a bit of random channel surfing brought this up. Incredibily long, but one of those films you just have to watch from start to finish.