Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

You won't be disappointed, it's really good. It's based on a true story too.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 30 July, 2017, 01:58:02 PM
I'm always on the lookout for a rom-com that isn't more like a rom-shite, a shite-com or more often a shite-shite. So I will check this out.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Mardroid on 28 July, 2017, 04:42:08 PM

I hope they continue to keep the X-Men-verse separate however. I think X-Men and the other mutant spin-offs work better in their own universe.

I really enjoyed the crossover in Deadpool. The irreverence of it caused me deep joy and I can't wait for the sequel - this is still my favourite Marvel flick, with Logan a close second.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

Drive Angry - it is very silly B-Movie but it so enjoyable!

William Fichtner was so brilliant as The Accountant.

Rara Avis

The first time I saw this movie I didn't get it because I had never been in love. The second time I couldn't watch it because I had.

That scene where Jim Carrey just loses it in his car as Beck (I think?) sings ' Everybody's gotta learn sometime..'

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 30 July, 2017, 01:58:57 PM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Mardroid

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 July, 2017, 06:28:35 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 28 July, 2017, 04:42:08 PM

I hope they continue to keep the X-Men-verse separate however. I think X-Men and the other mutant spin-offs work better in their own universe.

I really enjoyed the crossover in Deadpool. The irreverence of it caused me deep joy and I can't wait for the sequel - this is still my favourite Marvel flick, with Logan a close second.

Agreed, although I think Deadpool fits better in the X-men film-verse than the Marvel film-verse.

Also I don't have an issue with other films/series spin-offs set in the X-Men universe. Legion for example. (Actually I'm not sure that is set in the main universe or its own, but I don't mind if it is. I understand Professor Xavier exists in Legion, but I however, although he has yet to appear.)

But I'm glad the main Marvel film-verse is separate. I wouldn't want the X-men to turn up in that, or mutants in general, in the way X-men uses the word.

The closest we've come to that so far is Quicksilver turning up in both, and he isn't mentioned by that name in either, and the characters are totally different, aside from their power, and the source of that is different. I wouldn't count Scarlet Witch as a cross-over either, as I think the character in the comics is closer associated with The Avengers than the X-men, and her abilities are the result of genetic engineering in the films rather than mutation.

Tiplodocus

Dunkirk.

Bloody help that was tense. As Tiny Tips says, a twelve year old watching that would have share themselves. Zimmer  knocks it out of the park especially with the final musical flourish on the final Spitfire.

Can't wait to see it again.

By the way, awesome in Imax. If Nolan is going to go to the trouble of strapping an Imax camera to a Spitfire, the least I can do is see it in that format.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

Wargames. I watch this one fairly regularly, but I came up with a little drinking game for the next time.

Every time someone says DEFCON or you see the DEFCON sign, you take a drink. Every time Gen. Berringer says DEFCON you take two drinks (or finish your drink).

TordelBack

Terminator Genisys. So I thought Family Guy was going a step too far doing their extended Terminator spoof episode entirely as ropey CGI, but boy was I wrong: absolutely hilarious

More seriously, it was good of Alan Taylor to populate his movie with such appallng performances and insane miscastings that Emilia Clarke didn't really stick out.

(I did like CGI 80s Arnie though).

I, Cosh

The 80s electro pop soundtrack is definitely the best thing about Atomic Blonde. It's possible that the mishmash of conflicting elements is a stylistic metaphor for the asinine observation towards the end about the various spies and agents always trying to present a different face to each faction. It's also highly unlikely.

On the one hand, you've got some respectable actors trying to give the whole thing a Smiley's People kind of gravitas. On the other, glammed up Charlize battering everybody. And on the third, the aforementioned Deutschland '83 period stylings.

The action scenes are all well done, but again there's an odd mixture of cartoonish martial arts and wacky Die Hard roof-jumping followed by a couple of much more brutal extended fights towards the end where you're obviously meant to be stunned by the impact of screen violence.

I saw this on a rooftop summer cinema in Budapest and my girlfriend excitedly pointed out all the supposed parts of East Berlin that were actually filmed right round the corner from where we were. There were also points when I couldn't tell if the sirens were in the film or real life.

It's easy to understand how mashing up all these ingredients with a dash of male-gazey Sapphism seemed like a good idea and I did enjoy it at the time but I guess I wanted it to be great and was disappointed. Ultimately, if you want to watch a fantastic, violent spy thriller with a tough female lead, a bunch of respectable actors gleefully double-crossing each other in shifting timelines and some bone-crunching fight scenes then stay at home and watch Haywire.
We never really die.

Buttonman

Mardroid

Dunkirk
I saw it on imax. Unfortunately the screen was far smaller than I'd expect from Imax but the screen clarity and the sound was amazing.

The film itself wasn't really my cup of tea, but I think it succeeded well in what it set out to do. I don't mean that in a patronising way. I think it deserves all commendations it receives. It was a wonderful spectacle, and it captured the various viewpoints of the characters well. I just didn't enjoy the story that much, and I feel a bit of a Heathen for admitting that. No disrespect intended to the real people who took part on the real events during that Dark time. Many were truly brave souls. I think it was the jumping between several viewpoints which prevented some of my enjoyment, making it seem rather fractured in narrative. I'm not sure. I appreciate that collecting a wide swathe of viewpoints to encapsulate that seminal event was probably the point.

Apestrife

Saw Alien 2 and 3 the other night. 2 was like I remembered i. A really good action movie. Quite exciting and good fun. Doesn't hold up as well as 1 does for me, but still good. Then there's 3. Perhaps the assembly cut is different, but it wasn't for me. To say the least.

Is the assembly cut much different? Hear that it's quite good.

Mardroid

I think the assembly cut is better. While some scenes are just a bit different and don't really add much to the story (the alien hatches from a different animal for example) it has a whole chunk of plot [spoiler]involving a twist[/spoiler] included that wasn't in the theatrical cut.

It's a bit messy as a cut. There are scenes which look grainy, and there's a bit of minor duplication (I noticed a character repeat a line), so it's not perfect. But overall I found it very interesting and it adds a whole lot to the story.

You also get to see a bit more outdoors stuff at the start too. That doesn't add to the plot at all, but it sets the scene better concerning the prisoner's planet, working the oxen, etc, it's visually quite stunning in a lonely desolate kind of way.

Steve Green

Valerian and the...

Looks fab, some great ideas in the first mission.

Scuppered a little bit by the leads, Valerian seemed like he needed to be more Han Solo, but comes across as more human resources sex-pest nightmare.

Delves a bit too much into videogame territory, ship computer narration "you need this item", "these are the 4 sectors", but the visuals still make it worth a look - saw it in 3D and just enjoyed the graphics.