Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

I think one would suspend disbelief just so as not to watch DH 4 and 5 again.

I never saw 5.  4 was bad enough.

Keef Monkey

I can actually enjoy DH4 on a 'doesn't stand alongside the first 3 but is a fun enough action movie' sort of way, but 5 was just dreadful, really couldn't find anything to like there.

Street Trash is a film that showed a couple of times at All Night Horror Madness nights that I went to but always on a night where I never made it to the end so never caught it. Watched it on Shudder there and it's really something. Absolutely dreadful, but in the kind of outrageous and gross-out offensive way that probably would have been a fun riot at one of those movie nights but on your own on a Thursday morning falls pretty flat. It's like Troma times a thousand and has some hilarious body melt gore moments so did make me laugh a few times, but pretty hard work without an audience to enjoy it with.

Dandontdare

Enola Holmes - liked it, great fun. Millie Bobby Brown nails it as Sherlock and Mycroft's little sister. Some people may hate the fourth wall breaking, but I thought it was very well done - there's one glance to camera when she first meets The Boy that is so telling. My only big problem was the last ten minutes: [spoiler]When Helena Bonham Carter just shows up, I wanted Enola to punch her, or at the very least demand some answers about her terrorist bombing campaign, but it was all forgotten with a hug[/spoiler]

JayzusB.Christ

Ah - I was sure it was a series.  Might have a watch later.

Me, I finally got round to watching On the Waterfront - deserves its place in cinema history.  I always had this feeling that Marlon Brando was a bit of a twazzock, but that was the first time I saw him play a decent, upfront kind of guy (well, apart from his few minutes as Jor-El, that is).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

I also watched Enola Holmes and I agree with Dan that it was very enjoyable
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Zodiac. That was really good!  Don't know how I missed this one for so long,  probably because I recoil from real-life serial killer things, but it's actually a brilliantly original take from Fincher.  Very much desensationalising both killer and killings,  and focusing on the investigations and investigators, with a great sense of place and of time and its passage. 

RDJr isn't quite in his full modern pomp,  but Ruffalo is on brilliant form. Easy to see how they were paired for Avengers soon after.  I don't much like Jake Gyllenhaal or Chloe Sevigny,  always finding it hard to see them as anything other than actors,  but they're solid here. Beautiful cinematography, great colour pallette(s) and a compelling story. It's a long runtime,  but it flies by.  Recommended.

Tiplodocus

Tiny Tips also recommends ZODIAC  so I will add that to the list.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

IDENITY THIEF Melissa McCarthy ends up on a mismatched buddy road trip (does she make any other kind of movie?) with he bloke whose identity she stole and "hilarity ensues". Except it doesn't. At all. Not one little bit.

I'm done with Melissa now. I found her amusing two or three times but the ad-lib shtick just gets cruder and less funny every time she gets in a car with someone.

More like "SHITEdenSHITy Thief".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 September, 2020, 02:02:01 AM
Enola Holmes - liked it, great fun. Millie Bobby Brown nails it as Sherlock and Mycroft's little sister. Some people may hate the fourth wall breaking, but I thought it was very well done - there's one glance to camera when she first meets The Boy that is so telling. My only big problem was the last ten minutes: [spoiler]When Helena Bonham Carter just shows up, I wanted Enola to punch her, or at the very least demand some answers about her terrorist bombing campaign, but it was all forgotten with a hug[/spoiler]

Agree with all of that - a really high energy piece with a great line in joie de vivre. ("Enola Bueller's Day Off".)

The denouement was problematic, and I assume that's because it was trying to tie things up but at the same time leave them open for a sequel. Clearly, tying and untying at the same time leads to problems.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 September, 2020, 10:35:55 AM
Me, I finally got round to watching On the Waterfront...

I went through a phase in my 20s of catching up with all these classics I'd heard about: The Godfather, Gone With the Wind, Citizen Kane and (yes) On the Waterfront.

It's just so good. The classic scene with his brother is (perhaps predictably) what attracted me to it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Enola Holmes a highly entertaining addition to the burgeoning alt.Holmes genre, and I'm forced to conclude that MBB is going to rule the world if they ever make movies again: serious star quality. Cavill pulls off the neat trick of being an action-variant Sherlock who gives every impression of being both intriguing and hugely capable, but never once moves out of the background. I was sad to find myself thinking "wow, he'd make a great Superman". Rest of the cast pretty great, plot rather silly and some of the set dressing quite ropey, but who cares when you're having fun. Would work well as a double bill with the Levinson/Columbus Young Sherlock Holmes.

Many bonus points were earned for confounding my weary theory that the (really quite saggy) conclusion would involve a Doctor recently returned from Afghanistan.

Jim_Campbell

Going to agree with all the positive words here for Enola Holmes. Don't get me wrong — it's not going to change your life, it's not pushing the boundaries of the medium... but it is tremendous fun. Brown is terrific, and I mean honestly great. The entire movie rests on her, and she carries it with apparently effortless charm.

Aficionados of Holmes lore will likely bridle at the traducing of Mycroft, but Cavill's unusually beefy Holmes breezes through the story with much charisma and is surprisingly convincing. The plot, TBH, is largely secondary to the fun, which is hugely infectious. Also: I didn't want to kill Helena Bonham-Carter, which is an achievement in itself.

A genuinely entertaining way to kill a couple of hours and thoroughly recommended.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

What can I say about Enola Holmes that hasn't been mentioned? Fun, charming and hugely entertaining. Cavill's thoughtful and sincere Sherlock was an interesting change to the typical Sherlock Holmes which he played very well. Even non-Sherlock Holmes fans will enjoy this film I think.

Mardroid

Bad Samaritan

I saw this on the Horror Channel, but this was much more a thriller. It starred Robert Sheehan ( the Irish kid from Misfits and the bloke with the medium powers from The Umbrella Academy) playing a scammer/burglar type partnered up with another chap. Basically they're the guys who take your car and park it at posh restaurants, except they drive it to your house and burgle it first while you're eating a poncy dinner with your yuppy chums.

As you can imagine, he ends up at the house of the wrong yuppy, in this case played with some angsty relish by David Tennant.

I won't say what happens after that but I found it highly enjoyable. Sheehan, curiously, [spoiler]while in a more villainous vocation compared to the other two roles mentioned above, shows a stronger more moral centre here.  (The characters in those other shows are a bit dodgy too, but he doesn't outright rob people that I remember... although his Misfits character was being punished with community service so, I'm not sure what he did.)[/spoiler]

They're both very good, and I found it all rather enjoyable.

broodblik

I watched The Devil All the Time on Netflix. I almost stopped watching after the first third of the movie, but I did at least finish it.  It felt like a lot of disjointed stories but all of them do come together. The last 20 minutes of the movie is where everything happens. I am not sure if I can recommend the movie it is a dark, morbid, twisted tale.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.