Main Menu

Does my (a.i.)art look big in This?

Started by The Legendary Shark, 23 January, 2024, 09:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordmockingbird

tried to get dredd having a bath, but really had to fight bing to not keep generating nudes. best i could do:

https://imgur.com/a/KSl9DSt

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I feel honour-bound to mention that Jim B-AI-kie already drew Dredd in the bath.

Woolly

'Drew' being the operative word here.
Not f*cking 'typed'.

The Legendary Shark

[pedantry alert] I bet the initial script was typed... [/pedantry alert]

Yeah though, I agree that human artists are always better, but not all of us have access to such luxuries as properly talented artists like yourself or personal artistic talent.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

lordmockingbird

I appreciate it! Love a good tub moment

Tomwe

I'm having a real hard time with how AI is being pushed right now. See new Samsung advert where they say they are investing in 'you', then say use our AI and your imagination. But we all know that the AI is trained from human creations. Is a person's creativity coming up with what to ask the AI to do?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tomwe on 13 February, 2024, 11:39:02 AMBut we all know that the AI is trained from human creations. Is a person's creativity coming up with what to ask the AI to do?

Basically: get a shit version of what you would have got if you paid an artist to do it, but you don't have to pay an artist, and the artists' whose work this shit version has been derived from don't get a penny.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Fortnight

AI art is basically digital inbreeding.

It's entertaining for the layman to have a chuckle at for now, but with learning-models learning from the pool of art that's available, and generating art that's itself being fed back into that pool, that pool will become polluted.

Then there's the near-inevitability of human art becoming influenced by AI art.

It will eventually stagnate into a single pretty, but generic sloppy turd.

If AI can be trained to reproduce assistance-tasks to help a human, then that'll be useful. But if AI continues to produce the finished product, it'll pollute culture hideously. Possibly irreparably.

Pop is eating itself.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 January, 2024, 07:46:25 AMI'd just like to note that there are still ethical concerns with Bing's image generator. Artists can ask to have their work excluded from the AI's image scraping, but they have to 1) know it's happening, and 2) actually submit a request to be excluded.

This reminds me of the wide scale book scanning Meta engaged in years ago (before they were Meta).  They went to libraries around the world and scanned every book they could, just as they managed to drive up almost every street in the world and photograph it.  The purpose was to build a huge searchable library.  They claimed it wasn't breaking copyright because of fair use, and they would only ever return a fraction of any book in answer to a search query.  They weren't handing out free copies of entire books.

A lot of authors were very unhappy.  They had to actively take steps to be excluded, and the one-sided deal meant that if they stayed in they may get a paltry royalty payment.  It went to court and the authors lost.

I don't know if anything further happened, but as far as I kept up with the story in the news, my mind boggled that they were not in trouble for scanning whole books.  It shouldn't matter what they're doing with that content, or how they limit giving it to others, the fact is they made complete copies for themselves, without permission in advance or any equal contractual negotiation.  That alone should have been enough breach of copyright to stop them.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Interesting, isn't it, how corporations can get away with this crap, but individuals cannot? And the law is so slow. Inconsistent too. Apple may well have made a fortune on 'rip - mix - burn', which flirted with fair use in the USA. But even today, it is in all but a tiny handful of exceptional use cases illegal in the UK to format shift music. If you rip a CD to your computer (assuming you still have a CD drive), that is copyright infringement. Police won't be smashing down your door, but you're still committing an illegal act.

As for AI, I agree with Fortnight. There are excellent use cases when it comes to iteration and editing. A lot of that work is happening right now in mobile photography (and specifically mobile, because I'm sure when pro retouchers look at the results, they'll see the joins) and LLMs. The latter of those things are genuinely useful if twinned with a seasoned writer/editor. But there's relatively little value in AI doing anything from scratch, and you can almost always tell when someone's tried to do so.

Two examples I recall recently. One was someone attempting to do a music track but with a different singer over the top. It sounded stilted and the pop equivalent of uncanny valley. And then dialogue on an event, which was seemingly AI-written and auto-generated in terms of the voice itself. The script was terrible. The voice sounded robotic. Most of those things could have been better using AI within a creative/iteration loop, but when it's the final product, you have problems.

(Obviously, that might not be the case in years to come. But given that AI is now being trained on AI content, I don't hold out much hope for things getting better. And when you've used some of these systems a lot, you rapidly start noticing that they look far better on a surface glance than they really happen to be.)

Matt Timson

A.I. "art" is for people who can't be bothered to learn how to draw.

It's the absence of art.
Pffft...

Funt Solo

I was looking for a face-on Dredd image for a 3D art project and shit AI versions of Dredd are becoming more and more common in Google results:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Vector14

I would much prefer to see a scrappy amateurish scrawl with your joke strips above than the highly polished ai efforts.

Personal effort always engages me more regardless of the level of artistic "professionalism".

Often single panel joke comics work better with crude art. Look at how popular Modern Toss is or David Shrigley. Their newspaper comics wouldnt work at all if they were rendered by Alex Ross or Glenn Fabry,nevermind an AI.

Or closer to home here I loved Dash Decents advent calender strips and his "simple" art work actually added a lot to them rather than detract.

At the same time, I know you are just having a bit of fun with these, so if you're enjoying yourself, have at it.  :D