Main Menu

Titan / Enceladus vs Necropolis - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! H2H Rd 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 March, 2021, 06:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Tjm86

I would have to agree with regard to Flint's artwork on Titan / Enceladus.  From his early days on Fleischer's (whisper his name ...) Rogue Trooper to this is amazing development.  Ezquerra's work on Necropolois is certainly not the best to be sure, then again I'm a major fan of his early Strontium Dog work which I think is amongst his best work.  I would have to agree with his rendition of the Dark Judges.

Neither story is perfect either.  The ending notwithstanding, the sudden shift in narrative felt a bit cheating to me when I first read it back in the day.  It holds together better now but even so ...

I feel a little like I need to go back and re-read Titan / Enceladus too.  My recollection of it isn't as strong which doesn't augur well for it either.  It felt a bit at times like there were some great ideas that just didn't seem to make sense.  (I still don't get Dredd and the horse ...)

So I'm going to go old-school with Necropolis at this stage.

Mikey

On the other vote thread, I mentioned I recently re read Apocalypse War. The reason I did is because I had done a re read of Titan/Enceladus late last year - think that indicates where I'm voting!

Necropolis is a true classic epic - it's not that complex, but is full of great moments.

So it's Titan/Enceladus for me.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JayzusB.Christ

Definitely Necropolis.  Yeah, the last couple of episodes were a bit rushed, but like every decent Wagner epic, it didn't finish with the 'The End' caption.  The repercussions went on for years and helped shape the lead-up to Mechanismo and the culmination of the democracy arc.  (I just wish Garth Ennis hadn't been the one to kill Big Tommy Silver - like McGruder, he deserved better.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Bolt-01

CalHab

Southstreeter

Necropolis

The culmination of years of storylines, plus never bettered art. I like Titan, but it's basically Dredd being beaten up repeatedly.

Rogue Judge

Necropolis

Necropolis is a dark, exciting epic, one I always look forward to re-reading.

BPP

Titan / Enceladus for me.

Although I expect we'll have the dead man v necropolis as the final and people's heads will explode.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 29 March, 2021, 03:14:36 PM
Although I expect we'll have the dead man v necropolis as the final and people's heads will explode.

This was of course always the plan... BOOM!!!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

tbh for most of my votes here, the writing has been the clincher, especially when wagner is on fire with his multi year layering of rich sub plots that always, always, always, pay off.
but my vote here went for necropolis despite my feeling that this is one of the master's weaker scripts. honestly, it's such an unsubtle, all-action, fast read, a gaudy telephone directory that reads faster than early noughties marvel at their most compressed disdain for words.
titan is a much richer literary experience imho.
but carlos here makes it a non-contest. seriously, these pages are dangerous in their leaking-off-the-pages violent radioactive audacity. what an experience to know there will be something definitive and exhausting and awe-inspiring with every turn of every page.
i wouldn't want all my dredd to be like this, but what a kinetic and beautifully horrible artefact the collected necropolis is. gave me some serious lucid nightmares when i was younger too - which all the best sci-fi kids' comics should.

DrJomster

Titan / Enceladus Gets my vote.

Some interesting premises and gorgeous art. And yes, Dredd does suffer a bit in this one!

In comparison, I've just never really liked Necropolis. It doesn't draw me in at all. On paper, it really should.... but it's just a bit "ho hum, here come the dark judges again" with a bit of "a gang of kids on the run" type stuff. By the way, you can't see it, but I'm ducking for cover as I type this!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Dr Feeley Good

No comparison whatsoever, got to be Necropolis by a country mile...