Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Finished the trilogy off. Of the three this was probably the most satisfying film in terms of an ending. After seeing them all I realise you really have to see them all in order to get the complete story.

Frank

Quote from: von Boom on 15 October, 2013, 02:25:54 PM
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Finished the trilogy off. Of the three this was probably the most satisfying film in terms of an ending. After seeing them all I realise you really have to see them all in order to get the complete story.

I recorded it from the telly, and I'll watch it tonight. I watched Dragon Tattoo because it was a Fincher joint, didn't think much of it, but decided to watch the rest when they popped up on BBC Four. They don't seem any better or worse than tosh like The Dan Brown Code - The Girl Who Played With Fire even had an evil albino who was invulnerable to pain, just to emphasise the parallels with that kind of cheese.   

I felt the same way about French thrillers Anything For Her and Tell No-one, which received good reviews from critics. I don't know whether the process of reading subtitles maybe makes folk more forgiving of cornball characters and fairly unlikely plot developments.

von Boom

Quote from: sauchie on 15 October, 2013, 05:30:00 PM
I recorded it from the telly, and I'll watch it tonight. I watched Dragon Tattoo because it was a Fincher joint, didn't think much of it, but decided to watch the rest when they popped up on BBC Four. They don't seem any better or worse than tosh like The Dan Brown Code - The Girl Who Played With Fire even had an evil albino who was invulnerable to pain, just to emphasise the parallels with that kind of cheese.   

I felt the same way about French thrillers Anything For Her and Tell No-one, which received good reviews from critics. I don't know whether the process of reading subtitles maybe makes folk more forgiving of cornball characters and fairly unlikely plot developments.

You're not wrong sauchie.

willthemightyW

MACHETE KILLS AND [spoiler][/spoiler]MACHETE KILLS AGAIN... IN SPACE[spoiler][/spoiler]

Safe to say I really enjoyed it. So much fun, and Mel Gibson was brilliant in it- 'Imagine it, Machete, Machete, everywhere Machete.'

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Goaty

Sneakers as record it on ITV4 last night, still funny to watch, great cast and quotes!

von Boom

Quote from: Goaty on 15 October, 2013, 11:43:52 PM

Sneakers as record it on ITV4 last night, still funny to watch, great cast and quotes!

Watched it recently on netflix and I agree heartily.

Hawkmumbler

Just got out of the Fifth Estate. Now im not going to claim to be an expert on the subject, but from a asthetic point of view,mit was the biggest load off balls ive seen this year since Man of Steel. Acting, all over the place, cinematography, bland, ost, vanilla. The script was tepid and the drama a boar. Its just the most mundane ball of oscer fodder. Even Benedict Crumblebottom could put any enthusiasm into it. A drose and a turkey. Not reccomended.

Ghastly McNasty

Finally got round to watching American Psycho last night. What a brilliant film. Funny, thought provoking and horrific. A very impressive movie.

TordelBack

Grabbers.  A  painfully-almost-there-but-not-quite Irish Tremors, with one good lead (Ruth Bradley) and one weak one (Brian Coyle), some lovely dialogue and scenery, too few scares and some monumental loose ends/plot holes.  Thankfully a terrible [spoiler]Russell Covey[/spoiler] doesn't hang around long, although I kept expecting him back at a critical moment.

The Oirishness quotient was a very strange mix of convincingly unaffected and downright awful.  I completely bought Ruth Bradley's take on Christy Moore's 'Me and the Rose' ("she pulled the cork out of the Blue Nun, and I got sick all over the rottweiler" etc.) , and most of the fishermen and pub crowd were fun if predictable, but every now and again there was a clanger from Covey or overly knowing look from Coyle that let it down, as did the placenames (Erin Island?).  The less said about the plot the better ([spoiler]the massive storm that never arrives, the huge island with quarries and visitor centres and ribbon development that's home to 20 people and only one pub, the horde of alien offspring that just vanish between scenes, enough, enough[/spoiler]).

The Donegal, Antrim and North Mayo locations were stunning, and beautifully filmed, effects were good, monster design was okay, and all in all it was a good laugh  - but so nearly a great one.  Slainte, Netflix!

Theblazeuk

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 October, 2013, 11:50:50 AM
Grabbers.  A  painfully-almost-there-but-not-quite Irish Tremors, with one good lead (Ruth Bradley) and one weak one (Brian Coyle), some lovely dialogue and scenery, too few scares and some monumental loose ends/plot holes.  Thankfully a terrible [spoiler]Russell Covey[/spoiler] doesn't hang around long, although I kept expecting him back at a critical moment.

The Oirishness quotient was a very strange mix of convincingly unaffected and downright awful.  I completely bought Ruth Bradley's take on Christy Moore's 'Me and the Rose' ("she pulled the cork out of the Blue Nun, and I got sick all over the rottweiler" etc.) , and most of the fishermen and pub crowd were fun if predictable, but every now and again there was a clanger from Covey or overly knowing look from Coyle that let it down, as did the placenames (Erin Island?).  The less said about the plot the better ([spoiler]the massive storm that never arrives, the huge island with quarries and visitor centres and ribbon development that's home to 20 people and only one pub, the horde of alien offspring that just vanish between scenes, enough, enough[/spoiler]).

The Donegal, Antrim and North Mayo locations were stunning, and beautifully filmed, effects were good, monster design was okay, and all in all it was a good laugh  - but so nearly a great one.  Slainte, Netflix!

Aye I watched the other day. Funny! Covey didn't bother me so much but their plan of getting sloshed didn't seem so practical given the big bloody alien didn't care a damn.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 17 October, 2013, 10:45:30 AM
Finally got round to watching American Psycho last night. What a brilliant film. Funny, thought provoking and horrific. A very impressive movie.

I watched that for the first time late last year.  I despised the book, which I read many years ago, so avoided the film like the plague.  However, I'm sorry I did that.  Christian Bale's interpretation of Batman was absolutely spot on. 

The madness of eighties decadance was matched perfectly by his insanity.  Some of the key scenes were both horrifyimng and blackly funny.  I'm thinking in particular of the [spoiler]chainsaw down the stairwell.[/spoiler]

Yeah, good film.  I finally saw what all the fuss was about.

Ghastly McNasty

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 17 October, 2013, 12:46:28 PM
I despised the book...

Hmmm, I was thinking of reading this as I enjoyed the film so much. Not so sure now if the book is despisable. Strong words.

Christian Bale's interpretation of Batman was absolutely spot on. 

Interesting slip of the fingers (It should read Bateman for those who didn't know). Yeah he nails it.

The TV series Dexter would have been much more interesting if they had taken the lead character down Bateman's route, rather than making him a big softy who just happens to kill.

Richmond Clements

Quoteone weak one (Brian Coyle)

With a name like that, could he be anything else..?

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 17 October, 2013, 01:20:33 PM
I despised the book...

Hmmm, I was thinking of reading this as I enjoyed the film so much. Not so sure now if the book is despisable. Strong words.

Christian Bale's interpretation of Batman was absolutely spot on. 

Interesting slip of the fingers (It should read Bateman for those who didn't know). Yeah he nails it.

The TV series Dexter would have been much more interesting if they had taken the lead character down Bateman's route, rather than making him a big softy who just happens to kill.

I think part of my hate of the book is a by-product of the authors intentions. The characters were despicable, least of all Bateman, as was the reminder of the Eighties, and (dear god) some of the music that came from it. BEE I think intended you to despise it all, which lent to my distaste.

Hmmm, I'm thinking I should maybe re-read it, having enjoyed the film so much.

Also, don't take my word for it. You may well enjoy it.  It's just my opinion! ;)

shaolin_monkey

PS It was initially a slip of my fingers, but when I spotted it I was tickled, so left it in there. :D