Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: pictsy on 20 October, 2013, 12:26:45 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 October, 2013, 12:17:41 PM
......its shite.

The clue is in it's title.

I haven't seen the film, and but I rather enjoyed the book!

pictsy

Quote from: Mardroid on 20 October, 2013, 01:14:16 PM
......its shite.

Little secret - neither have I.  It doesn't sound good and I'm not being fooled again after sitting through that rubbish Cowboys vs. Aliens drivel.  A hard lesson learnt 'if it smells like shit, it probably is shit'.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 20 October, 2013, 12:37:12 PM

I love Vampire movies ( as in 'real',  non 'sparkly',  love torn,  Vampires ) but this one is fairly near the bottom of the pile within the recent run of Vampire 'dross'....

Cheers
I keep telling youse, they where FAIRIES!!! You want real vampires, Mr. Lee got it covered with his Hammer series and Kouta Hirano's Hellsing movies are might fine action-horrors.

pictsy

Star Trek The Motion Picture (1979) - I haven't seen this film in donkeys and I'm not entirely sure I have ever seen it in its entirety.  I have never really given the original cast films much of a chance in the past and failing to think of anything better to watch I'm going to watch them now.

This film was meh.  Ambitious, certainly.  The lack of running around, punching, kicking and shooting things (amidst a storm of lens flare) is definitely refreshing and it has a pretty good story even though I am all too aware of the twist at the end.  I can't say the acting is stellar, though. 

Mardroid

Please don't let the The Motion Picture put you off the other Star Trek films with the original cast. 2, 4 and 6 featuring the original crew are good and First Contact for the Next Generation crew is another cracker. (I actually liked most of the odd number films too apart from The motion Picture, as that bored me silly, but I might be a member of the minority there. I thought 3: Search for Spock was worth it for a decent Klingon villain and an interesting if rather contrived premise. And Generations is fun for the Kirk/Picard team up. Although I found it a bit silly in places.

Daveycandlish

1,2,6 and Generations are all great for different reasons but all worth a watch
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

pictsy

I imagine anything will be better in my mind than that Abrams shite.

Wrath of Kahn is up next and I am more than well aware of its popularity, but I won't let that hold sway over me.

I've probably seen Generations too many times.  It's not my favourite.  I enjoyed both First Contact and Insurrection.  Nemesis didn't bother me, but it's certainly not the best of the bunch.

I would have loved to see a DS9 film made as it is my favourite of the TV franchise and I always felt its ending was rushed.

Mabs

Quote from: pictsy on 20 October, 2013, 01:20:29 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 20 October, 2013, 01:14:16 PM
......its shite.

Little secret - neither have I.  It doesn't sound good and I'm not being fooled again after sitting through that rubbish Cowboys vs. Aliens drivel.  A hard lesson learnt 'if it smells like shit, it probably is shit'.

I think I'll reserve my judgement until I see it, but I'm not holding my breath going on everyone's thoughts on here. And I agree, Cowboys vs Aliens is utter shite.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: pictsy on 20 October, 2013, 04:27:17 PM
I imagine anything will be better in my mind than that Abrams shite.

Wrath of Kahn is up next and I am more than well aware of its popularity, but I won't let that hold sway over me.

I've probably seen Generations too many times.  It's not my favourite.  I enjoyed both First Contact and Insurrection.  Nemesis didn't bother me, but it's certainly not the best of the bunch.

I would have loved to see a DS9 film made as it is my favourite of the TV franchise and I always felt its ending was rushed.

Wrath of Khan is excellent. Some of the best Trek moments in there. I have a lot of love for Voyage Home too. It riffs on the campiness of it all, and is an excellent comedy number. Scott's interacting with [spoiler] a PC [/spoiler] is one of my fave bits.

Unfortunately I didn't really get on with the other films, though Search for Spock had a particular scene that made me gasp, and it was followed by one of McCoys best lines ever. 

Enjoy!

Professor Bear

I'm a big Trek fan, but the films really are hit and miss affairs with only Wrath of Khan being an objectively good standalone effort.  6 is great if you like panto romps, but the Next Generation films all for some reason center on Mr Data and might try your patience - the tv shows (even Voyager) were tied up in an intergalactic war storyline complete with huge space battles at the time, yet for some reason Brent Spiner thought the movies needed scenes where Data tries to understand why he has an erection.
An overlooked good Trek film is the Deep Space 9 pilot episode The Emissary, which clunks a bit when it introduces characters and the action is a bit bum, but the central story is a good one if you don't mind listening to a bit too much technowank to get to it, and is self-contained in a way pilot episodes usually aren't.

Sideshow Bob

I'm a fan of Vampire Movies,  and while I agree with Hawkmonger that Mr C Lee had it 'pretty much nailed' in the early Hammer movies.........Unfortunately times change, and the silent, brooding style Mr Lee portrayed doesn't quite cut it nowadays.....

I know that 30 Days of Night had numerous failings, particularly in the casting of Josh Hartnett as Ebden.......Certainly a good enough actor, but too young for the required role.......BUT the Vampires were exactly how I want my Vamps portrayed in Cinema........Totally evil, and absolutely vicious and in no way do they 'pass for human'....
And the GN is brilliant !! ......
It's just a pity the follow up movies were so poor...

Cheers..
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Professor Bear

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 21 October, 2013, 12:09:10 AMthe Vampires were exactly how I want my Vamps portrayed in Cinema........Totally evil, and absolutely vicious and in no way do they 'pass for human'....

I agree - I want vampires to be werewolves, too.

Mabs

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 21 October, 2013, 12:09:10 AM
I'm a fan of Vampire Movies,  and while I agree with Hawkmonger that Mr C Lee had it 'pretty much nailed' in the early Hammer movies.........Unfortunately times change, and the silent, brooding style Mr Lee portrayed doesn't quite cut it nowadays.....

I know that 30 Days of Night had numerous failings, particularly in the casting of Josh Hartnett as Ebden.......Certainly a good enough actor, but too young for the required role.......BUT the Vampires were exactly how I want my Vamps portrayed in Cinema........Totally evil, and absolutely vicious and in no way do they 'pass for human'....
And the GN is brilliant !! ......
It's just a pity the follow up movies were so poor...

Cheers..

30 Days of Night had the most genuinely scary vampires of recent memory. With their unnatural look and shark like teeth they could happily eat Twilight's lovesick puppies up for breakfast! There was no compromise with them, and that's what I loved about their creation. The film was also enjoyable; I agree Josh Hartnett was poor for the choice but I felt he grew into the role as the story progressed. I was bloody shocked to see Mellisa George from Home and Away playing his ex-wife! 

I also have a soft spot for Bram Stoker's Dracula (the one by Francis Ford Coppola). It's a hugely underrated film. The practical effects were awesome in the film, especially when you learn the lengths Coppola went to, to have them look so good. Not to mention some truly amazing production work and matte painting/ set design. The opening alone transports you to a place of gothic nightmares. It was let down by a poor turn from Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder, but it was still an interesting film. I also like Interview with the Vampire; just the New Orleans setting, the lavish set pieces and over the top acting (and a fine turn from a debuting Kirsten Dunst), it's a highly enjoyable romp. One of my favourite (not to mention eerie) moments in the film is when Brad Pitt's character first turns into a vampire, and he sees the world with vampire eyes; pay attention to the statue which looks at him briefly - that was a great touch signifying the seriousness of his decision, and what awaits him in his new life.

But one of my all time favourite vampire film is - without doubt, Vampire Hunter D! It's so bloody fun! I even love the sequel; Bloodlust. There's some great vampire films out there, and like you guys I too am a huge fan of the genre.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Proteus4

Quote from: JudgeE1M1RT on 19 October, 2013, 10:13:59 PM
I watched Taxi Driver again. Great flick.

Been trying to get my hands on Requiem For A Dream for a bit now, seems like an interesting movie.

No no. Don't do it. You will kill yourself afterwards. It's soooooo bleak. Go watch Elf or something. I'm still traumatised by that film.
Think happy thoughts
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

shaolin_monkey

Highlander. Watched it for the first time in 15 years. Jesus H Christ, what a shite film.