Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

They never made a Transporter 3.

That is all.

GrinningChimera

The Last Stand.

So I saw the trailer for this while watching Silent Hill 2, and the trailer was enough to make me go and buy it the next day. If you love classic action movies (80's Schwarzenegger/Stallone/Willis) then chances are you will love this too. I knew from the trailer not to expect much in the way of realism, which is why I think the rating on IMDB is so low. This is a pizza and beer kind of movie. If you want to see people get shot, blown up and beaten to a pulp with some funny one liners thrown in then this movie is for you. I'd love to know if any other boarders have seen this and if so what did you think? I give it an 8/10.

TordelBack

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 29 October, 2013, 01:48:33 AMI'd love to know if any other boarders have seen this and if so what did you think?

Scroll up a page or twa, dear heart.

NapalmKev

Guest House Paradiso - absolutely hilarious!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JamesC

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 29 October, 2013, 01:48:33 AM
The Last Stand.

So I saw the trailer for this while watching Silent Hill 2, and the trailer was enough to make me go and buy it the next day. If you love classic action movies (80's Schwarzenegger/Stallone/Willis) then chances are you will love this too. I knew from the trailer not to expect much in the way of realism, which is why I think the rating on IMDB is so low. This is a pizza and beer kind of movie. If you want to see people get shot, blown up and beaten to a pulp with some funny one liners thrown in then this movie is for you. I'd love to know if any other boarders have seen this and if so what did you think? I give it an 8/10.

I enjoyed it too. I can see why others didn't but I thought it was good fun.

radiator

Captain Phillips.

Not a huge amount to say about it, really. It was pretty good, but (maybe this sounds like a weird criticism of a film based on real events) would have benefited greatly from being shorter - the first 90 minutes are taught and tense, but it becomes a bit of a slog for the last half hour and I found myself zoning out a bit towards the end. I also thought that because of the documentary style of filming we don't really get to know anything about any of the characters so it can be hard to get too involved. And there's a weird tic of characters spouting bare-faced exposition to each other ([spoiler]"We are going to follow this ship until the Navy arrives"[/spoiler] etc) which jars a lot with the naturalistic style of the film.

The ending is fantastically powerful though - the [spoiler]'execute' scene when the pirates are taken down and Phillips is left screaming in confusion, terror, showered with blood, then disoriented and shell-shocked as a nurse attends to him[/spoiler] was really raw and quite moving. You still got it, Hanks.

JudgeE1M1RT

Watched Pink Floyd's The Wall last night. Great film, really does the music justice.

Dandontdare

Quote from: JudgeE1M1RT on 30 October, 2013, 01:05:13 PM
Watched Pink Floyd's The Wall last night. Great film, really does the music justice.

Fabulous film. This was one of the first albums I ever owned, and one of my all time favourite movies.

SmallBlueThing

Paranormal Activity 4

That's four for four. The best, and scariest, contemporary horror series knocks it out of the park yet again. Superb. And all the better for only costing me a fiver.

Cannot wait for Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57608033/first-trailer-arrives-for-paranormal-activity-the-marked-ones/) and Paranormal Activity 5

SBT

Professor Bear

I can't even tell when you're joking anymore.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Professor Vundabar K Werewolf on 30 October, 2013, 07:12:22 PM

Heh - I've never figured out when you are being serious.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 30 October, 2013, 10:01:16 PM
Quote from: Professor Vundabar K Werewolf on 30 October, 2013, 07:12:22 PM

Heh - I've never figured out when you are being serious.

All the time.  And that goes for both of them.

shaolin_monkey

So, World War Z eh? Finally got around to seeing it. Its basically 28 Days Later with more scenery and less character development. Still, I enjoyed it for what it was - a nice action zombie romp, with good set pieces and a constant barrage of tension and, as they say on the certificates these days, peril.

It's crap compared to the book though.

Professor Bear

Man Or Machine - a feature-length outing for mid-80s toy advertisement The Centurions, it lacks the sophistication of latter day animation - being a cel effort - but it features some great retro-futuristic production design work from Jack Kirby and Gil Kane (OMG BUTTONS AND SWITCHES!) and a fantastically bombastic synth score from the criminally underrated Udi Harpaz, as usual going out of his way to be the best thing in whatever he lends his talents to, a habit he continued well into the new millennium on stuff like the Digimon movies and Lost, where he was constantly delivering high-caliber work the projects arguably may not have warranted.
It's held together by the solid animation work of Sunrise's Studio 7 branch, here utilising a style more identifiable as traditionally western in influence compared to their latter efforts like Sacred Seven which tended towards experimentation born of minimal budgets, but they really make the aforementioned production design of Kirby and Kane pop not just as they realise now-outdated sci-fi conceits like orbital elevators, rocketships, exoframe armor and chunky cyborgs, but also in simple things like satellite dishes, control panels covered in colourful buttons and dials, and set design that emphasises huge spaces and big, clunky technology that looks absolutely alien compared to the minimalist organic iFuture designs of modern sci-fi.
For all my talk of retro-futurism, however, this isn't akin to Sunrise's more well-known sci-fi efforts working from Western design templates - such as Syd Mead's "steampunk Transformers" work on Turn A Gundam - and is more in line with their work on Votoms, albeit with more of an emphasis on primary colours in keeping with the material's purpose as a toy advertisement.  The story concerns posthuman supremacist Doc Terror contacting an alien AI and constructing a supercomputer to its specifications called Magog, which arguably should have been his first clue that an apocalypse would shortly figure in this alliance.  It does.  Along the way towards an explosion-heavy resolution to this conundrum, two new action figures Centurions are introduced and the Native American Centurion John Thunder is just about as politically correct as you'd expect of something made in 1985, and he spends several fights going OOWOOWOOWOOWOO while wielding his futuristic weapons technology that is basically a tomahawk made of lasers.  The other guy is called Rex Charger and seems to be based entirely upon Richard Jordan in Raise The Titanic, but he gets very little to do because basically he is awful, though he does at one point take a break from doing energy research in the Arctic to have dinner by walking over to a fully-furnished dining table sitting in the middle of the snowy wastes, pulls off his winter gear and is revealed to be wearing a tuxedo underneath, and he just sits down and waits as this robot butler type brings him a menu.  This is, of course, completely fantastic, but it's a one-off and generally he's just dull and beardy for the rest of the film.
Despite a high production pedigree including voice talent royalty like Tress McNeill and Neil Ross, this movie is total horseshit.  It's clearly cobbled together from several episodes of the show that probably weren't shown very much because they really push the toys onscreen for loud fights or rescue situations and this likely violated a lot of stations' policies on product placement a bit too blatantly to be ignored, but it's typically eventful of a Ruby/Spears effort, seemingly terrified that at any moment its audience might stop watching so there's a cliffhanger every three or four minutes, with a big cliffhanger changing the game every twenty minutes or so, but all told I enjoyed it, moreso than Pixar's Brave or Dreamworks' The Croods, although beyond nostalgia or a genuine fondness for the animation of the period I can't see the appeal traveling very far.

Proteus4

watched White House Down last night.  I'd heard it was dumb fun and if I'm totally honest I'm not a big fan of dumb fun (unless its got zombies in it, for some reason).

It had cheesy one liners, made no sense and was stupidly convoluted, and you could spot the 'twist' a mile off.  I LOVED IT.  It was such good fun.

Derivitive?, i hear you ask. Well yes it was just Die Hard in the Whitehouse.  But admit it, that sounds good doesn't it.

Cheers
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.