Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Corinthian on 08 November, 2021, 11:44:11 AM
Have now seen a copy. The omissions are still perplexing, but not as perplexing as them sticking a couple of panels of 'Don't Forget to Blast Your Cache' in the text section as if to advertise that it's not a complete volume.

Don't Forget to Blast Your Cache would have made it an actively worse volume. I'm so glad they didn't include it.
@jamesfeistdraws

Hackenbush

Maybe they can sneak in the missing Steve Sampson illustrated story in whatever volume gets Revere in the next lot.
And Pretty Please! throw in Danzigs Inferno
I love that story.

The Corinthian

The Strange Case of the Wyndham Demon would be nice too.

Swerty

Hachette have covers for 113 Cradlegrave and 114 Sinister Dexter 4

IndigoPrime

Cradlegrave has Frazer Irving, Simon Davis and Ian Edginton. So what else is going in there?

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 November, 2021, 10:40:11 AM
Cradlegrave has Frazer Irving, Simon Davis and Ian Edginton. So what else is going in there?

Survivor Type - is the only story written by Smith and drawn by Davis.  So maybe that.
A Love Like Blood - seems the obvious guess for an Irving drawn Smith tale.

For the Edginton credit my guess is Stone Island. Davis was the artist on both stories and it'd be a good body horror combo with Cradlegrave.

credo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 November, 2021, 10:40:11 AM

Could be Love Like Blood with Frazer Irving listed. Stone Island for Edginton and Davis (as there's only a single Dredd listed for Smith and Davis together).

That'd be a nice collection of varied work. 214 pages in total (Hachette has the volume listed as 232, so that's about right).

Link Prime

Quote from: credo on 22 November, 2021, 11:11:21 AM
That'd be a nice collection of varied work. 214 pages in total (Hachette has the volume listed as 232, so that's about right).

A nice dark cherry pick for 2022.

Tjm86

Love like Blood would be one.  Another might be Necronauts?

sintec

Quote from: Tjm86 on 22 November, 2021, 12:17:17 PM
Another might be Necronauts?

That's Rennie & Irving rather and we've not got a credit for Rennie so I suspect not.

The Corinthian

A Love Like Blood is probably my least favourite Smith series from 2000AD proper so I don't see myself upgrading from the Cradlegrave trade paperback for this one. I'm still on board for Revere though.

abelardsnazz

So if Cradlegrave won't include Revere, which seems to be the case, what else will be in the Revere volume? As far as I can tell the only other John Smith series that hasn't been reprinted so far is Slaughter Bowl, so maybe that and one-off Dredds, Rogues, Future Shocks and, as has been suggested, Danzig's Inferno?

Hackenbush

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 24 November, 2021, 08:26:54 AM
So if Cradlegrave won't include Revere, which seems to be the case, what else will be in the Revere volume? As far as I can tell the only other John Smith series that hasn't been reprinted so far is Slaughter Bowl, so maybe that and one-off Dredds, Rogues, Future Shocks and, as has been suggested, Danzig's Inferno?
Knowing my luck we'll get that volume filled up with Bradley instead.

IndigoPrime

Danzig's weirdness would be a good match for Revere. I'm struggling to think of anything else that would be. Maybe The Dead from a stylistic standpoint (if very much not an art one), but we've heard nothing about that being included in the collection (alas).

Quote from: Hackenbush on 24 November, 2021, 08:35:17 AMKnowing my luck we'll get that volume filled up with Bradley instead.
Urgh. I do hope Bradley doesn't go anywhere near the UC. The character wasn't great at the time, but it's also so of its time, what with all the goth references. "Oh look, it's another of the writer's favourite bands getting a cameo. Perhaps his alter ego will then get to review their records at some point as well."

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Corinthian on 23 November, 2021, 09:19:53 PM
A Love Like Blood is probably my least favourite Smith series from 2000AD proper

Great art, great concept. Unfortunately hamstrung by an edict from The Powers That Be than no series could run more than ten(?) episodes for a single story,* due to a reprint deal in the offing with a European publisher who had a specific page count for their books. The deal never materialised, and the edict was withdrawn, but not before it had forced some very truncated storytelling on both this and (I think) Storming Heaven.

*Note: this edict was not Andy Diggle's famous "shot glass of rocket fuel" memo, which is regularly blamed for the LLB/SH thing, but something entirely different.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.