Main Menu

Festive Thrill-Tree: GN Blurb Translated Too Many Times

Started by sheridan, 01 December, 2020, 10:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Bit of a giveaway in paragraph #3, but I had it figured out by the end of paragraph #2 (m'lud).

I like "Fortunately, The Secret Service controls the British Secret Service." One would hope so.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

I really should have deleted the name of the main character - I usually remember to do things like that if google doesn't obfuscate it along the way :)

Colin YNWA

So pleased to have these back - they are such fun. This one is obviously [spoiler]M.A.C.H. 1[/spoiler] and I'll not be as polite as Funt and leave it unsolved!

AlexF

Ah, but is it Book 1 or the superior Book 2?
I'm gonna go with Book 1.
I'd like to see the panel where they insert his head into a tube!

Barrington Boots

I'm not sure I'm ready for the panel containing HARD ON MEN however!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

As everybody guessed (ably assisted by my forgetting to censor the name of the main character) it was M.A.C.H. 1: BOOK 01!

Quote from: blurb-droidThe world is a dangerous place, with terrorists, lunatics and other unearthly creatures plotting destruction at every turn...fortunately the British Secret Service has the situation under control!

When the world faces extra-ordinary threats, only an extra-ordinary man can save the day. Enter secret weapon and special agent, John Probe. Using the technology of computerised acupuncture, the British Secret Service grafted a computer circuit onto his skull and inserted special electro-needles into his body: now Probe can increase his energy flow until he has the strength of fifty men!

TERRORISTS AND ENEMY AGENTS BEWARE! JOHN PROBE IS MUCH MORE THAN A MAN; HE IS A MAN ACTIVATED BY COMPU-PUNCTURE HYPERPOWER!

Quote from: google-translation-botThe earth is full of terrorists, It is a dangerous place with the moonlight and supernatural creatures that will destroy it at any moment... Fortunately, The Secret Service controls the British Secret Service.

When the world faces a unique threat, only an individual can save the day. Set up secret equipment with Special Attorney Sondo. The British intelligence service used a computer-assisted device to insert the head into a tube and insert a special electric needle into the body: now a researcher can increase his power by fifty people!

NOTE you suffer for the sake of suffering and the king and for him! john probe ALSO HARD ON MEN; Gender Research John - human it did a hyper-computer!

Today's translated blurb coming soon - and I'll be sure to double-check not to include the answer in the same post!

sheridan

Right, I've read it and double-read it and don't see the name of the character in today's one...

Quote from: googlebotThe world is over, and it's fun - try Laden's magic!

Written by Knight Marsh Cyclical Art, the Reverend is a magician, a fascist atheist, and a lover of wild youth, dreaming of change.

Imagine for a second you were transposed into the karmic driven world of bacon, romeo and Earl. Across the riverside, he loves the soft cotton city, deeply in a terrible love for mysterious trees that protect them, trying to bring them back to their roots...

This new version of digital printing is the perfect time for the enthusiast to enjoy the experience.

Huey2

Colin YNWA

AlexF

I'd love ot know how Google goes from 'John Smith' to 'Knight Marsh Cyclical Art', but it's weirdly apt.

I confess until you pointed out 'Revere', I was stuck thinking it had to be either Canon Fodder or Zaucer of Zilk, but neither of those have proper collections, even digital, do they?

sheridan

Well done to Huey2 for getting it so quickly!

Quick answer to AlexF - Google didn't so I had to just delete "John Smith" to avoid making it too easy.

Longer answer:

A straight-forward translation is that I use google translate to go through five or so languages, then back to English and there's nothing from the original blurb but still just enough idea for people to have a hope of getting it.

More complex (I did the current ones I posted about six months ago but seem to remember this one took a while) will refuse to change some elements - I think "London" and "John Smith" were particular bugbears.  When that happens I try to change the capitalisation so it treats "smith" as a word, not a name.  Unfortunately I think this was so universal a word that it just translated it back to "smith" no matter how many intermediary languages I went through.  Quite a few words and names Google Translate can't find an equivalent of so won't even try to translate.  In those cases I just have to delete the name (which I must have forgotten to do with "john probe" the previous day).  I actually find this quite interesting - that sweet spot between too universal to get mis-translated along the way but not too obscure that it won't get translated at all.

Quote from: original-flavourIt's the end of the world and he feels fine - meet Revere, the Witch Boy of London!

Written by John Smith with nightmarish psychedelic art from Simon Harrison, Revere is an inimitable psychedelic post-apocalyptic climate change coming-of-age fever dream, filled with magic, fascistic cops, and young love.

Immerse yourself in an unbeatable, wonderfully weird, trippy nightmare set in a post-apocalyptic London, via Francis Bacon, Romeo and Juliet, and Godfrey Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi. Follow Revere as he parkours over the buildings of a crumbling capital, embarks on mystical drug-hazed misadventures, falls in love, and has to fight to discover his true self...

This new digital-only release is the perfect opportunity for fans to read one of Smith's seminal work.

Quote from: translatebotThe world is over, and it's fun - try Laden's magic!

Written by Knight Marsh Cyclical Art, the Reverend is a magician, a fascist atheist, and a lover of wild youth, dreaming of change.

Imagine for a second you were transposed into the karmic driven world of bacon, romeo and Earl. Across the riverside, he loves the soft cotton city, deeply in a terrible love for mysterious trees that protect them, trying to bring them back to their roots...

This new version of digital printing is the perfect time for the enthusiast to enjoy the experience.

sheridan

F'r instance - I'd have thought that "nightmare" wouldn't have had any problems being translated, but we're left with "knight marsh".

Of course, quite a lot of that just sounded like a normal John Smith synopsis :)

sheridan

Here's today's one!

Quote from: googlebotInss identifier!

Shark spere has made great strides since chipper. There was a great drive in the city. The bronze medalists specializing in ""surface air"" won 7 and the jury left 10 of them singing national heroes. But the recent failure of Joe's reunion has frustrated Redbeck. Now this is his will and his freedom. John from the first hearing is a co-author of the last few years, (Boys Rules) and Marcus. Big update, the great renewal (United States) And major cities ... Perkins (beware).

Colin YNWA

This one is tough, but when I spotted something in the opening sentence I'm lead to Chopper and think it mayyyyyy be Chopper: Wondering Spirit ... but not sure I have the right volume there?

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws