Main Menu

2000ad characters and their accents

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 January, 2021, 08:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 11 January, 2021, 03:04:52 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 11 January, 2021, 02:29:26 PM
For me, Johnny Alpha sounds like Clive Owen.

Ooh, that's a good shout.

Yep, definitely. Think someone suggested him as the perfect Alpha actor - maybe you, Woolly - and yeah, that's an inspired choice.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 January, 2021, 10:04:40 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 January, 2021, 09:29:18 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 January, 2021, 08:28:33 PM
Tharg is Joe Pesci.

Thrilling how? Like I'm here to thrill you?

For some reason i mixed up Joes Pesci and Pasquale for a few seconds there.  Reminds me of someone on the board a few years ago thinking Morgan Freeman was going to play Bilbo Baggins.
I spent about half an hour on 9/11 thinking that terrorists had crashed a plane into Manchester's Free Trade Hall because I misheard.

Rogue Judge

How about the Gronk? I hear Smeagol from LotR a bit...but not Gollum. I've listened to some Strontium Dog audio dramas and don't like his voice in those.

Clive Owen as Johnny...that's real good!

sixmo

From the experience of reading Portrait of a Mutant to my young fella many times, I can tell you that there are almost too many accents in Strontium Dog! There are sequences where all the mutie generals are having discussions and trying to switch from Evans the Fist's Welsh accent to Studs Boyce's Birmingham to Middenface's Glasgow mid flow was tricky to say the least! In this version of the Stronty universe, Johnny Alpha just sounds like me as I couldn't keep track otherwise.

Weirdly, the one accent I really struggled with was Spud Murphy in Outlaw despite the fact I'm Irish myself. I couldn't get the right kind of overblown stage Oirish type vibe for that one.

Outside of 2000AD, Johnny 'Red' Redburn hails from Liverpool, and his tales become properly bizarre if you read his voice out loud in a thick scouse accent amongst all the Russians.

My favourite accent of course has to be that of Nemesis whose voice is described as ancient and evil, not forgetting that it seems to be psychically projected rather than emitted in the traditional sense.

Colin YNWA

This thread has made me realise how I don't do this the way others do, certainly not on a consious level I can articulate.

I read The Phoenix with the Boy child - normally after he's read it himself these days but it gives me an excuse and I love it. I have voices for lots of the characters there in. Maybe I need to read him some 2000ad to see what bubbles out from my sub-consious!

JayzusB.Christ

It's a bit odd to hear the Big Finish audios, where Simon Pegg is Johnny - I didn't listen to them at the time, and Simon Pegg wasn't the international household name he is now, but these days you just know it's Simon Pegg. 

I really wasn't a fan of Toby Longworth's Dredd, but he was infinitely better than whoever played Dredd on the old radio dramas.  Basically, he sounded like a minor thug in a Scorsese film. Not even Joe Pesci.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

pert

Wouldn't Johnny Red have a posh accent if he was in the RAF?

wonder what the Melchester accent is like!

Tjm86

Quote from: pert on 26 October, 2021, 12:03:09 PM

Part of me is tempted to scream at this!  Considering the number of folks I served with from Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Swansea etc [including one Glaswegian Italian who's accent could occasionally even baffle those from other parts of Scotland!] the idea that only folks of a certain type were in the RAF is a little annoying.

That said:
a)  we're talking pilots here;
b) we're talking WW2 ...

... so it's not quite as unreasonable as that (just damned close!).  IIRC though Mr Redburn, like many of the characters of Battle, was from the 'wrong side of the tracks'.  He was referred to as a "back street guttersnipe" by the training officer he lamped in the first episode.

sheridan

Quote from: pert on 26 October, 2021, 12:03:09 PM

wonder what the Melchester accent is like!

Somethink like Manchester?  Though amusingly Melchester is the substitute for Salisbury in Thomas Hardy novels.  So maybe Roy has the same accent that Johnny has (seeing as Johnny manages to get to Stonehenge by nightfall on the day they run away from home).

pert

I'm guessing Johnny Red would have affected a middle class accent in the raf despite his background

Funt Solo

Two guys at my high school were turned down for RAF flight school based on their accents (according to the feedback they were given). Something about the air traffic controllers not being able to understand accents. This was late 80s.

I'm not sure how accurate their reports were - but it seemed to fit my understanding of military wank.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I think I remember seeing on QI that the posh-accented stereotypical WW2 pilot was something of a myth, created by WW2 films.  I mean, no doubt a few of them were posh, but, like any other group of military types, their accent depended on where they came from, and they came from different places.