Main Menu

The Moses Incident V Incident on Mayger Minor - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 July, 2021, 06:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

I'm with Magnetica on this- really difficult choice and I'm switherin. Both Boots and Leigh S make good arguments for each.

I'm going with The Moses Incident edging it though, I recall being genuinely concerned for Alpha at the time and wondering if he would ever be the same again. I also rate Mayger highly for all the 'memorable villains' and 'SF/ Western mash-up' reasons already mentioned- against another tale it might have prevailed. I don't have any distaste for magic & supernatural elements in SD- it's a big/ wide/ deep, multi-dimensional and bad Universe... shit happens, as well it should.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

Only today folks so get ya votes in and I'll tote this one up in the morning. From a quick eye scan its surprisingly close so your votes could make a big different.

As might mine and really I have nothing to say as Barrington Boots has expressed my view perfectly. I love The Moses Incident its classic stuff and almost definitive Strontium Dog. However its as simply as this Incident on Mayer Minor is possibly my favourite ever Johnny story as it perfectly captures Strontium Dog as a Western, lets be honest its Shane. On that basis:

Incident on Mayger Minor

AlexF

Incident on Mayjer Minor all the way! Nothing to say that hasn't already been said, it's just a perfect SciFi western with great characters.

IndigoPrime

Both of these are great, with some serious gut punches to the feels. On balance, Incident on Mayger Minor takes it for me. I love the way the strip is written and its pace, along with the perfect twists throughout.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

The first Strontium Dog story I read was The Moses Incident and that twisted middle has stayed with me.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well my oh my, that I did not see coming. I was of the view that The Moses Incident was one of the favourites, not just in this region but for the tourney overall. I thought it was seen as nailed on classic and definitive 2000ad.... and to be fair it is. Incident on Mayger Minor was a thrill I have always loved, but thought in the minds of other it was just solid Strontium Dog. Then we all read Barrington Boot's analysis and I though - You know what a few of us will stand alongside that....

The story went head to head with Moses, after a shakey start came back and matched the classic head to head AND THEN took a lead - it held!!! Oh my word this is a shock but by the slimest of margins this one goes to:

Incident on Mayger Minor

Incident on Mayger Minor    3    1
No-Go Job                               0    0
The Rammy                             0    0
The Moses Incident               0    -1

Southstreeter

I've been away, and missed this, so I'm so pleased that IOMM has won this round. It was the perfect post-Rage story, wonderfully atmospheric and beautifully understated. It was absolutely the right story to follow Rage.

Barrington Boots

I missed this one closing, and tbh I also thought that the Moses Incident would sweep this. I'm so glad that so many other boarders share my love for IoMM.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!