Main Menu

Forums Favourite Thrill - Detonator X vs Mayflies - Round 1 Heat 5

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 October, 2021, 07:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Round 1 might require you get your thrill-banks tuned up as we drag some lesser lights of Tharg's Thrillverse out - though there are some stonking series in here it has to be said. And even when there's not, most of the ties offer some intriguing conundrums at least.

Giant robots vs inter-dimensional space lizards - I mean that can't go wrong in 2000ad can it... can it? So what chance do young clones fleeing from NuEarth at the start of their trill-run stand?... well they have pulled off some surprise victories against the apparent odds already so who knows...

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Detonator X - more info

vs.

Mayflies - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 30th October and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Again I haven't read either of these so it's another abstention from me. I really need to catch up with some of this stuff.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Detonator X. Although it's a bit like choosing between a Whopper and a Big Mac when you're vegan.
Lock up your spoons!

Blue Cactus

There have only been two episodes of Mayflies so far, right? Nice Coleby artwork.

Detonator X feels like a 'filler' story to me - it's there, it looks nice, nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't require much thought and you're not too bothered when it ends.

Hmm. Voting Detonator X. Might be different after some more episodes of Mayflies.

Southstreeter

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Link Prime

Barrington Boots

Detonator X wasn't great but Mayflies has literally had only two episodes? My vote for the big DX.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Funt Solo

Mayflies

Detonator X promised a lot of fun but was essentially a retread of Maniac 5, of all things. Mayflies dares to make the Rogue-verse viable in a new way.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rogue Judge

Mayflies. I tend to enjoy most things related to Rogue Trooper, and Coleby's art is always great. Not even heard of Detonator X, unfortunately.

Colin YNWA

Bit of a last day bump for this one. Any votes today will be included when I count up tomorrow... when I'm able. We're away and I suspect wi-fi will be flakey where we are going. On that basis the result will be called but might be later than normal - we'll see.