Main Menu

Fantagraphics are in financial trouble...

Started by Ancient Otter, 05 November, 2013, 08:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

..and they are turning to crowdfunding to help them out:

Kickstarter page

Hard to say if they will hit the target, I've seen boardgames and miniatures games raise over a million dollars but will comics buyers stump up?

Ancient Otter

They are currently at $33,358 out of the $150,000 they need after one day, compared to something like say £8,569 out of £110,000 after 4 days that Sir David Attenborough needs to help save Mountain Gorillas...so maybe Fantagraphics will pull through..mountain gorillas maybe not :'(

Bazooka Joe

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I've donated a meager amount, it all counts though. They produce great books.

Grey M@a

I am tempted by the complete Eightball collection for $120 just need to work out if I can put the money aside for it. Already splurged on the Zenith collected book recently. Not sure the lass will be happy with another £100+ spend on a book xD

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 05 November, 2013, 09:33:58 PM
They are currently at $33,358 out of the $150,000 they need after one day, compared to something like say £8,569 out of £110,000 after 4 days that Sir David Attenborough needs to help save Mountain Gorillas...so maybe Fantagraphics will pull through..mountain gorillas maybe not :'(

Looks like Fantagraphics has now tripled their total whereas Sir David's fund has only increased by another grand. However, they are not quite comparable, the gorilla thing is an out-and-out charity fundraiser, and as such has to compete with every other charity in the universe.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Grey M@a on 07 November, 2013, 12:22:39 AM
I am tempted by the complete Eightball collection for $120 just need to work out if I can put the money aside for it. Already splurged on the Zenith collected book recently. Not sure the lass will be happy with another £100+ spend on a book xD

I'd say support it if you love it.

Time and again quality and true art fails where pure papp succeeds...what's wrong with this world?
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Dunk!

Too late!

All the affordable Pete Bagge or Stan Sakai tiers are gone.

Pissing arse-biscuits.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 07 November, 2013, 09:08:56 AMTime and again quality and true art fails where pure papp succeeds...what's wrong with this world?

It's interesting to see how susceptible to a knockout Fantagraphics was with the loss of Kim Thompson, considering how much of a graphic novel institution it is.

BPP

Is it clear they are in trouble? Alternative revenue streams and 'save us' are two very different boats.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

As it was 'reported' on Bleeding Cool (or reported on The Beat I forget which now) it was related to the fact that Kim Thompson was editing a number of books. With his passing this work couldn't easily and quickly be replaced and so a number of books and hence the revenue they would generate, didn't make it out in the time hoped and while they will all still be coming its left a hole in there short term budget which is why they are having the campaign now. Fingers crossed once through this period of significant change the company will be fine.

IndigoPrime

Judging by the Kickstarter, cash-flow is the problem, and with books that were expected to be out not on sale, that leaves them exposed. Still, the Kickstarter's currently on $112k, and so it'd be a shock if in nearly four more weeks it can't make another $38k.