Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 October, 2020, 10:03:46 AM
My frustration with the ending of the splendid Nausicaa cannot be overstated, however.

Nausicaa has been ruined for me because I came to it after reading the manga; the film can only ever be the poor cousin, now.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dandontdare

Quote from: pictsy on 30 October, 2020, 09:09:10 AM
Oh, and I've only watched Grave of the Fireflies once because it's too depressing and the world is too depressing for me to handle it.

Is that the one about wartime orphans where everybody dies at the end? I've not even attempted that one.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 30 October, 2020, 12:36:09 PM
My frustration with the ending of the splendid Nausicaa cannot be overstated, however.

Nausicaa has been ruined for me because I came to it after reading the manga; the film can only ever be the poor cousin, now.

I'll have to check out the comic, so, because the film (what there was of it) was fantastic. If there had been a chance of a continuation it would have been so much better.

pictsy

More seriously, "just stopping" is definitely a feature of the ones I've watched so far, but I almost prefer that to the tyranny of a third-act resolution. My frustration with the ending of the splendid Nausicaa cannot be overstated, however.

There are Ghibli films that wrap up a lot better and I do think they are better for it.

I never count Nausicaa as the film was made before Ghibli was formed.  Nevertheless, I really like that film as well.  I hope I one day get to read the manga.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 October, 2020, 04:03:17 PM
Is that the one about wartime orphans where everybody dies at the end? I've not even attempted that one.

Yes.  It's harsh.

judgefloyd

Me, I'm re-watching Ryuzu and the  Seven Henchmen, a  2015 Yakuza comedy from Takeshi Kitano.  Hilarity ensues as a gang of aging Yakuza try to get back in the game.  It's a very Japanese movie, so some of the humour depends on knowing a bit about how the yakuza and associated scumbags operate there.  One thing I like is that it has lyrical filmy moments that are almost Ozu-like. 

TordelBack

Ghostbusters (1984), for the night that's in it. This film fails to age, Venkman's predatory behaviour aside, the effects are glorious (eliciting several exclamations of "Cool!"* from my first-timer daughter), the plot is solid, the cast are all spectacular, the gags quotable, and Sigourney's pins have never looked finer.

A true classic.

*...and obligatory Dad response each time: "No, Zuul".

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 October, 2020, 09:16:11 PM
Ghostbusters (1984), for the night that's in it. This film fails to age, Venkman's predatory behaviour aside, the effects are glorious (eliciting several exclamations of "Cool!"* from my first-timer daughter), the plot is solid, the cast are all spectacular, the gags quotable, and Sigourney's pins have never looked finer.

A true classic.

We did the same tonight as well. Alas aside from the predatory nature of Venkman - we will come back to this - another thing has aged. The kids felt some of the effects 'were terrible'... damnit... but they really enjoyed it.

I did however make a deal with my daughter half way through as we explained that while Dad loves Bill Murray with unequaled passion, Mum was entirely right and he's an absolute dick in this movie ... well his character. So we'll watch the new one (2016) where I seem to recall they have an interesting reversial on the gender rolls.

As I recall I thought the movie was no where near as good, but the gender balance and new effects suggest I owe it to my kids to watch it with them and see how they compare the two.

TordelBack

If it's any consolation, my two both said that while they enjoyed the original, they preferred the new one. Sic transit gloria mundi.

I really didn't think there was any problem with the effects, the stop motion on the devil-dogs in particular is lovely, but then we do have a crap TV.

TordelBack

Ready Player One. Mehhhhh.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 October, 2020, 04:03:17 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 30 October, 2020, 09:09:10 AM
Oh, and I've only watched Grave of the Fireflies once because it's too depressing and the world is too depressing for me to handle it.

No, it's the one where they die at the very start and then things get worse.
Grave Of The Fireflies should be seen.  It's a profoundly anti-war work that deserves better than to be dismissed on the basis it might give you The Feels.

von Boom

Highlander Such a great film and a wonderful performance by Sean Connery as Ramirez. It's one of those films that should never have been as good as it is. Shame they never did a sequel.

JamesC

The Witch

I thought this was really fantastic. So creepy and atmospheric. The horror came as much from the religious dogma of the family - and their helplessness in the face of a failed harvest - as it did from the supernatural goings on.

I have the director's second film The Lighthouse lined up ready to watch.

pictsy

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D

I popped my Troma film cherry last night with this nutjob of a film.  It definitely lives up to Troma's reputation and I got out of it what I thought I would.

It was enjoyable, silly, stupid, fun, problematic, entertaining and goofy.

Pyroxian

Quote from: von Boom on 02 November, 2020, 12:32:25 AM
Highlander Such a great film and a wonderful performance by Sean Connery as Ramirez. It's one of those films that should never have been as good as it is. Shame they never did a sequel.

It's for the best - they would have probably mucked it up and made it about space aliens or something...

Rately

Quote from: Pyroxian on 02 November, 2020, 11:20:21 AM
Quote from: von Boom on 02 November, 2020, 12:32:25 AM

It's for the best - they would have probably mucked it up and made it about space aliens or something...

Thank God they didn't. Sounds a ridiculous plot. So bad. No producer would have went with that...