Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

I loved D Day Dodgers. Heart-breaking stuff.

- Trout

Tiplodocus

I did enjoy WAR STORIES very much but thought that it did wear it's influences a little too proudly on it's sleeves. (The HMS ULYSEES "homage" in particular).

Anyway, Huff, Cosh has just leant me DEAR BILLY and absolutely corking it is too.  So if you still need it, drop me a line and I'll post it over to you for your delictation and delight. We can work out how to get it back to him later.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Thanks, I will check Deedheed Comics first as I've only missed the 3rd one of 'Billy', mind you that Pimp Bolt 01 has cleaned oot the bairns piggy bank again with all his fancy city ways and comics, swine!
DDT did a job on me

Trout

I liked Dear Billy. It's powerful stuff.

I, Cosh

According to the editorial in the latest issue, Tankies is the last of the Battlefields stories, but there's going to be a bumper collection of all three. Wonder if it just wasn't selling enough or what the reason is.

In other news, the last issue of The Boys was a bit of a surprise. Every character got a quiet little moment that revealed something about them, there was a funny bit and an unpleasant bit. More of this please Garth.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Just caught up with Parts 1 and 2 of THE TANKIES and I must say I'm a bit disappointed with it.  The story and tone are all over the place; a seemingly unconnected series of alternately violent and funny and tragic vignettes that seem to work against each other.  All a big step back from the sublime DEAR BILLY.

The comedy Geordie is funny though and I do love seeing Ezquerra drawing Panthers and Tigers and Churchills.  He always makes the German equipment and uniforms look a thousand times cooler than the British and Yank stuff (probably because it was).  However, some of the layouts are confusing (especially the soldiers firing upon soldiers) and I think the art is a little too muscular and, dare I say it, cartoony at times.  And I'm very disappointed with the colours - they just do not seem right for any of the stories being told.

But fuck me, that turn the page big picture of you staring down a Tiger's 88 was brilliant.

Emperor

Quote from: "The Cosh"According to the editorial in the latest issue, Tankies is the last of the Battlefields stories, but there's going to be a bumper collection of all three.

Just in time for Xmas too:

//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefields_(comics)#Collected_editions

Quote from: "The Cosh"Wonder if it just wasn't selling enough or what the reason is.

I was under the impression this was the plan all along:

QuoteThis October, as part of what Dynamite Entertainment is calling Garth Ennis Month, the fan-favorite writer dives into the real life backdrop that winds his clocks with the first issue of a three-story, nine-part limited series titled "Garth Ennis' Battlefields.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=17795

They must known Ennis would sell well enough, sales might impact on whether he gets to do it again in the near future.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Proudhuff

just caught up on these...

Read the 3rd part of Billy in FP... NO READING indeed!   :D   (Thanks for the offer above by the way, FP kindly helped out in that Dept)

Missed the first part of Tankies but went straight onto the second, great stuff, the 'fog of War' confusion well portrayed, the guys with the Brens was well handled too, if a little off on the colouring, but young Hector doing a great job otherwise  

Also got the final part of Back to Brooklyn....EEEEK! what a great finale, good twist at the end and real radge bastard violence and almost as many Fwords as the Big Lewbowski! if this is collected I'd advise anyone to get it but keep it away from the sprogs!

The news of a hardback Battlefields collection in time for the Xmas market is great, hopefuly added extras in that too.

Cosh did you say your D-day Dodgers has a Bibliography at the end? If so, does Ennis give credit to Hamish Henderson for the orginal song in it?
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Back to Brooklyn
Thanks your Huffness. I keep forgetting to say how much I'm enjoying this. It's a farily slight tale but there's some spot on characterisation and dialogue, some lovely art and typical (for Ennis) in your face violence.  Only slightly dodgy part so far has been [spoiler:3v61bcje]throwing momma from the bridge[/spoiler:3v61bcje]but then again part of me thinks he imagined all of that. The bit with [spoiler:3v61bcje]the dogs[/spoiler:3v61bcje]was a cool (if slightly unbelievable) set piece.  

Not quite as good as the utterly sublime CRIMINAL by Brubaker and Phillips that His Highness leant me but still a jolly good read.

Proudhuff

I'll pop part five in the post tomoroow, if you like the dogs and the ultra violence wait till you see issue 5 and its use of utensils!
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

BACK TO BROOKLYN did indeed end with some style.

There was some clever changing of sympathies in the last few issues as our hero goes [spoiler:28t4kfwm]from being a stand up guy to being, quite frankly, just as bad as the rest of them (throwing his Mom in front of a truck).[/spoiler:28t4kfwm]

The reveal about [spoiler:28t4kfwm]his wife was rather spoilt by the fact she's had so little character development[/spoiler:28t4kfwm]. It left me with a kind of  "so what?".

But the end fight was refreshingly low on gimmicks and cool and full of straight on beat the crap out of each other with whatever is to hand.

"Look after Mom!"
"Done."
Heh heh.

Pete Wells

Just a heads up that Team Ezquerra are on art duties for the next few issues of The Boys, and verrry nice it is too!

Dandontdare

Quote from: "Pete Wells"Just a heads up that Team Ezquerra are on art duties for the next few issues of The Boys, and verrry nice it is too!
Seriously? Ohboyoboyoboyoboy! :D
I've got vol 4 & 5 (Herogasm)  on pre-order with Amazon!

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Proudhuff"Cosh did you say your D-day Dodgers has a Bibliography at the end? If so, does Ennis give credit to Hamish Henderson for the orginal song in it?
No. I think he says the writer isn't known.
Quote from: "Pete Wells"Just a heads up that Team Ezquerra are on art duties for the next few issues of The Boys, and verrry nice it is too!
Funny. I was just going to say I thought it was pretty ropey. I think maybe I'm just used to Robertson take on the characters so it's strange to see them look almost the same but not quite.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Quote from: "The Cosh"
Quote from: "Proudhuff"Cosh did you say your D-day Dodgers has a Bibliography at the end? If so, does Ennis give credit to Hamish Henderson for the orginal song in it?
No. I think he says the writer isn't known.

that's a pity, there seems to be a general agreement that he had a hand in writing it, but offically couldn't say this as he was an Officer and the man who accepted the Italian surrender from Marshall Graziani.
DDT did a job on me