Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Gary James on 17 February, 2020, 12:58:08 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 17 February, 2020, 12:44:03 PM
Which book was that (obviously you don't know the title, but how did it begin)?
It was a SF update of Robin Hood - the force fields which aliens(?) used were powerless against bows and arrows. That really is all I can remember for sure about the story, but I remember the book itself being a hardcover. I've been digging around for years (on and off), but there's nothing which ever jumped out at me in any lists I've pulled. The annoying thing is that there are at least a dozen really similar plots, but the one I'm looking for was in circulation c. 1990-1992, ruling out a few obvious ones. I want to say the same rough look as Hale's Black Horse books, but don't quote me on that... Not sure if it had illustrations or not.

To prevent these things from happening again, as it really is the most annoying thing, I have been keeping notes of everything I've read since around 2003.

That's the Hood's Army Trilogy (Earth Invaded, Slaveworld and The Liberators) written by Christopher Evans under the pseudonym Nathan Elliott.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Gary James

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 18 February, 2020, 07:48:38 AM
That's the Hood's Army Trilogy (Earth Invaded, Slaveworld and The Liberators) written by Christopher Evans under the pseudonym Nathan Elliott.
Ordering the first book now.  :D

This may get very expensive very quickly... His Star Pirates series looks extremely interesting, and seems to cover some of the ground Piper used in the Future History series.

Keef Monkey

I have vague plans to (very slowly) work my way through the new canon Star Wars novels so just read Tarkin and really enjoyed it. Was interesting to read a Star Wars book from the perspective of the villain, and was surprised I found myself rooting for him in the same way I'd root for Vader in his own comics. Lots of interesting Tarkin backstory too, I thought it was a decent read if you're into Star Wars!

TordelBack

Fancy that one myself! I've enjoyed the Wendig novels, for all that they're a bit disjointed and in need of a strong editor (and in the light of TROS they're pretty tragic), and the YA Lost Stars, but the highlight so far has been one of Claudia Gray's other entries, Bloodline. I'm a sucker for Princess Leia novels, and this is a good'un.

Bolt-01

I'm about 70 or so pages into the first Dune book - and so far it is really flippin' good. It's not quite 'clicked' with me yet, but It's not the slog I always feared it would be.

von Boom

Once the family reaches Arrakis the pace starts to pick up and story becomes more active.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 February, 2020, 01:58:24 PM
Fancy that one myself! I've enjoyed the Wendig novels, for all that they're a bit disjointed and in need of a strong editor (and in the light of TROS they're pretty tragic), and the YA Lost Stars, but the highlight so far has been one of Claudia Gray's other entries, Bloodline. I'm a sucker for Princess Leia novels, and this is a good'un.

Sounds good, looking forward to getting to that one! I bought Heir To The Jedi so will probably be reading that one soon. I'd been planning to skip the YA/Junior stuff but I did get Before The Awakening and The Legends of Luke Skywalker as gifts and was surprised at how much I enjoyed them so might check out the Lost Stars books too.

Smith

Transformers MTMTE. Once again. Then I got Lost Light.

Keef Monkey

Just read Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie and really, really enjoyed it. I do love spaceships in my books and in this the main character is a spaceship so it's nice to read a book that achieves peak spaceship. Lots of really interesting world-building so I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy at some point. I found I got a bit confused about a couple of the relationships and power dynamics in the last third of the book but I did read it while being tattooed so I'm fairly certain that was just down to the ouchy distraction getting worse rather than the writing. I definitely found the conclusion really great so the needle must have moved on to a less sensitive spot by that point!

Really good sci-fi book, loved it.

Gary James

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 March, 2020, 11:36:46 AMJust read Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie and really, really enjoyed it.
People don't often give SF credit for being classy, but damn is that ever a classy book. Far, far deeper than any synopsis would give the writing credit for, and so subtle in places that it really feels as if there is a whole thought-out galaxy spinning around the characters as events unfold.

Fungus

Art books do it for me 😜

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Gary James on 12 March, 2020, 09:39:57 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 March, 2020, 11:36:46 AMJust read Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie and really, really enjoyed it.
People don't often give SF credit for being classy, but damn is that ever a classy book. Far, far deeper than any synopsis would give the writing credit for, and so subtle in places that it really feels as if there is a whole thought-out galaxy spinning around the characters as events unfold.

As it happens I've literally just put down 'Ancillary Sword'. Only about 50 pages in, not grabbing me as much as 'Justice' did, but still engaging and intriguing,

paddykafka

Just finished "We, The Drowned" by Carsten Jensen.

An epic tale of sea-faring, based around a huge cast of - varied, vividly drawn and utterly believable - characters from a Danish town, that spans almost a hundred years.

I read the last 100 odd pages in one sitting last night, as I was so intent on finding out the fate of one of the central characters. 

Really quite wonderful and highly recommended.

It also inspired a great song by my favourite contemporary singer / songwriter, Lisa Hannigan. I have taken the liberty of attaching a link below, to a version which she performs as part of a concert with the Stargaze Orchetra. Gives me goosebumps every time I hear it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FY8w3LDO-M

Keef Monkey

Read the full run of Rok of The Reds today, it was great! I say that as someone whose interest in football sits somewhere far, far, far below zero, was just a good fun tale with a lot of heart.

Smith

Rise and Fall of the Trigan empire V1. Its great.