Main Menu

Big plans for 2000ad 45th - details of releases

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 June, 2021, 10:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/rebellion-collects-dc-comics-judge-dredd-for-2000ad-45th-anniversary/

Well there may be no news of a 45th con (yet) but plenty of exciting releases in 2022.

We'd heard about the Bolland Apex edition but I'm even more excited to hear about the McMahon (please Satanus from the Cursed Earth, Please Satanus from the Cursed Earth...)

Art

A collection of Ewing Dredds is extremely welcome. He's produced some some stone cold classics.

Rogue Judge

Is the DC Dredd any good? Or worth reading? Obviously not on a prog level, so compare apples to apples...how does it compare to IDWs Dredd?

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Monarch

ohhh if that encyclopedia is whats been showing up in the meg floppies recently i hope its expanded and cleaned up a bit in book form

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 26 June, 2021, 04:54:46 AM
Is the DC Dredd any good?
No. I'm genuinely staggered they're releasing it in collected format. Although it's worth noting there were two series. One was a reboot that hurled Dredd back in time and was unreadable. The other was a semi-reboot that I think is what's being reprinted here and that was... yeah. I mean, it's not the worst Dredd ever but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Monarch on 26 June, 2021, 07:52:32 AM
ohhh if that encyclopedia is whats been showing up in the meg floppies recently i hope its expanded and cleaned up a bit in book form

Yeah hopefully when they plan it for the full release they can play around with what feels very inconsistent prioritising of content. The floppie feels like a draft to me - very possibly unfairly as I imagine its a LOT of work but I'd been to know that had been ironed out to make this a purchase.

broodblik

Quote from: broodblik on 26 June, 2021, 09:54:31 AM
How many issues did the DC Dredd run for?

Let me answer my own question it ran for 13 issues. Hopefully it will all be collected in one collection

IndigoPrime

The press release states: "This unique collection will finally bring the thirteen-issue series together".

The other series, Andrew Hefler's 'Judge Dredd', ran for 18 issues—which was approximately 18 issues too long.

GordonR

On paper, Andy Helfer felt like a great fit for US Dredd. He was an Anglophile 2000AD fan, and his reboot of The Shadow title was highly regarded and had a Dredd-ish black humour tone.

In reality, though...

I knew him when he was an editor at DC, and remember trying to look politely non-appalled as -over a meal at DC's expense - he told me his planned story arc for his Dredd book.

Max Headroom

I know that DC Dredd is not highly regarded here on this forum, but I will still be picking this collection up next year and would also if the Helfer series was collected. I guess that's the completist in me!

Richard

I'd rather see a collection of DC's Legends of the Law series. It had a range of writers, starting with Wagner, and is likely to be better.