Main Menu

Asterix - the French comic not the punctuation mark...

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 October, 2015, 01:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well I've been reading along with the Asterix Agenda and we're on week 4 (well Augie has published 3 reviews the 4th in a day or two) and by George its such immense fun so far. I've always considered myself a big Asterix fan but its been a good number of years since I did a re-read (over 14 I think). So reading them again, and I'm on the earlier volumes which I don't remember as fondly, has firmly reminded me why I love The Gaul. Seriously just 4 books in and these are tbe funniest most entertaining comcis. Just genius. Its going to get better!

Get over tho Pipeline.com and join in!

Colin YNWA

Well sure there's been some talk about the new Asterix book on the board somewhere but can't find it so thought I'd resurrect this thread to pay homage to the best Asterix book in.... well in 38 years!

Asterix and Vercingetorix's the Chieftain's daughter

I've not enjoyed an Asterix book this much since Black Gold - the absolute highlight of the Uderzo solo works. Okay so this one is no Goscinny - what is - but its really good fun. Which was a real relief as I'd seen some damning reviews for it. I think its fresh funny and for me captures the tone and feel of Goscinny's work like almost nothing since his all too early passing. Okay a couple of the jokes really over stay their welcome - the pointless and frankly annoying lisp of Adrenalin's (the daughter of Vercingetorix of the title) guardians being prime example. The racial sterotyping still shows no signs of moving with the times either. I do wonder if the humour has either - though since I've grown up having these books in so many ways defining what I find funny that's fine with me. And I'll say it again I wish the series had taken a bolder break when Uderzo stopped doing the art, but heck if you are going to have someone ape Uderzo its hard to imagine anyone doing it as well as Didier Conrad.

The story by Jean-Yves Ferri feels tight and cohesive in a way that a number of his previous volumes haven't. And while some of the themes and points he's playing with lack the guile of execution that Goscinny at his best mastered so well, they aren't horribly done.

Overall this is a bit of a triumph of a book for me.

rs_jr

just finished asterix 38 and it was wonderfull.
I think the new team has improved since their first volume though the art i feel is a little too detailed

Tomwe

Augie at Pipeline Comics has seen some of the new Papercutz editions and has his thoughts here:

https://www.pipelinecomics.com/american-papercutz-asterix-translations-reviewed/

Sad they've changed those character names! Hope the UK translations don't go this way for future editions.

karlos

So, nothing too damaging - but I'll be sticking with the UK editions, I think.

Colin YNWA

Really interesting article. I follow Pipeline and chatted a lot when Augie was doing the Asterix Project and was wondering how he'd react to this. I think Fisticuffix is pretty poor and do think Getafix is so much better, but hey ho they need to so what works.

Its a shame we apparently won't be getting the Asterix FCBD preview of the Papercutz editions as it would have been interesting to see these in more detail. Still Augie covers it very well.

A bit of me is perversely tempted to get at least a volume or two of these editions when they come out as a more complete comparison would be fun.... but would I ever get the time to do it properly?

Colin YNWA

Dogmatix is getting his own comic - produced during lockdown. Alas I'm not sure if it'll reach over here but fingers crossed - same with the telly show (whether or not we'll get it over here).

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dogmatix-to-get-his-own-asterix-comic-book/

JayzusB.Christ

I've never read Asterix comics.  But having just today watched Tony Robinson's Julius Caesar documentary, I really want to now.

And now I'm going to be the prick of an English teacher that I am - the punctation mark is an asterisk.  Asterix is a play on that but spelled and pronounced differently.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 July, 2020, 11:32:22 PM
I've never read Asterix comics.  But having just today watched Tony Robinson's Julius Caesar documentary, I really want to now.

Oh you really should. They are wonderful - but do seek out the 'Favourite Asterix Book' so you avoid a few stinkers sown amongst the gold.

ANYWAY - the reason I came here wasn't to reply to a post some 6 months old rather to celebrate the fat we have the release date for the next volume, being 21st October this year. So looonnnnggggg wait, but something to look forward to.

There's is a page which plays to the mystery of were the new book will take Asterix, Obelix and Getafix.

https://www.asterix.com/en/new-asterix-album-one-page-as-an-appetiser/?utm_source=E-mail&utm_medium=nl&utm_content=&utm_campaign=Asterix_NL_Missive64_EN_20210106

Andrew_J

Cheers, Colin. Looking forward to that!
"This country does not really exist today as such".
Hmm...
Any guesses?

Colin YNWA

Title has been announced as 'Asterix and the Griffin' - the Griffin - on the image released doesn't seem to be the actual mythical beast but a wooden statue... we'll see though.

https://www.facebook.com/asterixandobelixofficial/photos/a.206365722839843/2141270869349309/?type=3

Colin YNWA

All other comics reading had stopped tonight cos NEW ASTERIX.

Now I approach a new Asterix with a delight and equal fear. Asterix hasn't aged well. Its dated in both tone and detail and the new volumes haven't been brave enough to push beyond what they were to what they could be and have just tried to emulate the past. This will never work as the past was Goscinny and Uderzo and no one is as good as them. So to try to emulate them is foolish. To not move the tales forward and re-invent leaves it bound in dangerous shorthands of old.

In that context, this book is still a triumph however, and just like the previious volume The Cheftain Daughter it works really well for what it is - even if what it is is time bound and unable to live up to its past. The art is glorious, just glorious as Conrad does his damnest to ape Uderzo. The story is also strong. Its funny, sharp and if again it relies on the same jokes rolling around they are still decent jokes.

The story has some really brilliant touches too. The magic potion is fantastically sidelined pushing other strengths of our Gallic hero to the fore. The Romans are given more time and space and are developed well. I also adore the reveal of the Griffin at the end - I'll not spoil but its based on historical theory quite superbly.

Yeah overall this does feel dated and treads a very conservative line BUT its also very good comics in that context.

Colin YNWA

So I get a regular newsletter, or missive about Asterix from the offical site and the latest teased me with a new Dogmatix book, based on the forth coming tv show Dogmatix and the Indomitables

https://www.asterix.com/en/idefix-et-les-irreductibles-pour-la-premiere-fois-lunivers-dasterix-a-la-television-en-animation-3d/

I say teased, as it doesn't look like there is an english translation planned at this stage. I assume as there are currently plans (that I can see) to release the show in the UK. So until that happens (if it does) it would make sense to hold the book back. Shame and I really should just learn French (well I tried at school and I was RUBBISH, which given how back my English is, is probably little surprise!).

Which got me thinking again, why hasn't Asterix got the peneration in the UK martket it has across the rest of Europe. I mean its there, the new albums always come out on day of release, but its just not celebrated in the way it is elsewhere. Probably not even as much as Tintin (for example). Is it simply a resistance to its  Frenchness in this country? Its a shame as while the stories and character have been with me since childhood it still feels a little niche here.

Mind we are getting these soon

https://www.playmobil.co.uk/onlineshop/products/asterix

CalHab

Bit of a cynical ploy if the only way to get Asterix, Obelix and Dogmatix is to buy the £150 set.

Timothy

Quote from: CalHab on 11 March, 2022, 09:56:16 AM
Bit of a cynical ploy if the only way to get Asterix, Obelix and Dogmatix is to buy the £150 set.
There is the much cheaper wild boar hunting set with all 3 in.