S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

DREDD:  Thought this was an average one-off but the final twist (it's a suicide kit) elevated it.  And how come Judge Fodder is killed by a head shot and Judge Dredd isn't?

RED SEAS:  Sad to see this finish.  I have enjoyed it.  I didn't like the anachronistic dialogue by the devil though (except The Stones introduction) and I thought there was too much info-dumping and previously unrevealed plot and character points ssuddenly thrown up.  Oh and an object lession in how to do a "shitting yourself" joke without causing offence (well, too much offence). A weak end but I'd like to see more.

ASYLUM: Disappointed that this was so completely unsubtle in the end -it started with promise then turned into a daft fight.  I liked the Belly death being used to show the badguy the error of his ways but can someone explain exactly what does HOLT do to save everyone?  Does he suddenly develop special powers in a time of crisis (this was mocked a few issues back).  Wasn't clear to me even on rereading - probably me being thick today.

SIN/DEX: I'm amazed that a writer of Mister Abnett's caliber has to resort to "and with one bound, Jack was free" to end a tale.  But at least he ended it. Can we hope that it's for good?  

I miss the input page but am looking forward to Prog 2003.

Enjoyed this but I'm beginning to suspect that people are finding it hard to come up with satisfying yet suprising endings to stories (and by suprising I don't mean a mad twist, I mean something logical).

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Bolt-01

1321:

Dredd: Lovely art, as ever from Gibson. I wondered about the headshot meself.

Red Seas: Enjoyable, nice final shot. I would love to see Steve Yeowell use the more detailed art he seems to save for high profile stories (Hitler springs to mind, as does the early Zenith.)

Asylum: Started lovely and understated and got rather messy at the end. I would read more though, especialy if it took its time.

Sin/Dex: Told you so. RUBBISH! I have 'read' this particular story device so many times that I can't believe Dan Abnett had the cheek to try it again. LEAVE THEM IN SPACE FOR A NICE LONG HOLIDAY!!!

All in all, not bad, looking forward to next week though.

Dave6795

DavidXBrunt

SPOILERS.

Page Two of Sin Dex ended with a looming black alien with red eyes. Am I the only one who was expecting it to shout 'SHAKARA!'?

Queen Firey-Bou

Yeah this week was a little lacking in the thrill dept, I know theres a super winter offensive on its way, but I'd like stories to end on a "WOWEEE BLimey & Who woulda Thought it " note. I did like asylum, but the end was rather rushed. bring back belly!

Wake

Dredd got lucky. Doesn't he always. The bullet glanced off his helmet nut caught Blunt in the face.

Wake

Bolt-01

It is a shae the Judge didn't change the 'L' toan 'R'. The wold pease a certain someone, I bet

Dave6795, waiting for the appearance of Judge6795 (obviously a member of the Genetic judges)

Banners

I like Gibson (of course) but didn't think his style suited to the nature of this week's Dredd. I'm not advocating violent depictions of murders - but the dark understones of the sniper strip were compromised somewhat by his cheery rendering I thought.

Red Seas introduced a couple of plot elements I wasn't aware of previously (though maybe that's just me) - so the drama was not quite as compulsive as it may otherwise have been. Also thought the manner of defeating the devil (by throwing a book at him) a little too simple, but the character was written well, if not entirely originally. Competent, but for me - unengaging.

Not sure where the 'Manual Over-ride Pilot Bubble' (or whatever) came from in Asylum, but what the hey. This strip hasn't withstood analysis too well over its run, but it's been okay and the last page was very nicely done indeed. Has it ended here or are we to find out the island isn't the beachy paradise it seems?

SinDex concluded as an abject lesson in how to spin out a one-line plot over multiple issues. Wasted potential but always good to be in the company of the wonderful cast of characters. Davis excepted, they deserve so much better.

M@

Slippery PD

Gibson on dredd is always a joy.  But Ill agree with Banners another artist may have suited this a little better.  But more Gibson Dredd, if you ask me.

Red Sea's - Ive liked this but did it really go anywhere?  I think some stretching out of this would have been better, more plot introductions and better characterisation (we hardly seen much of the hero, have we?) would give this so much more.  Personally Id like to se  a second book to see if this can be expanded upon.

Asylum - this seemed to be stretched out.  Extended fight sequence et al.  But the ending left me asking questions of it and the plot.  So maybe there is something in it, Im now intrigued if nothing else.  OH and more Boo Cook art please.

Sinister Dexter - Oh my God.  This is just padding.  I was hoping and praying that these stories would elevate the gunsharks to where they really should be.  But it didnt, weve had amazon women cliches, an odd joke, a terible ending and at least 2 awfully bad puns.  The only positive point is that the abnett droid has put in all his worst work into one strip so the next VC's series should be excellent.  I know some people love this strip, but I am at a loss to see why.  Weve had little or no character development for over a year, no plot to speak of and each story has been a vehicle for a few awful puns.  I hope tharg decides to rest them, its now getting to the point when I want them Dead permanently....

Yer Slippo  

Art

DREDD: Hmmm... Topical or a bit naff? You decide...

RED SEAS: Highlight of the prog. Thats how to do a rocking good ending.

ASYLUM: Hmmmm.... It started so well and, um, well... Better luck next time. The art was nice.

SIN/DEX: Arse arse arse

gavinhanly

Ok - this week's review is now up at 2000AD Review.  It doesn't get any easier to do, and I have to admit, I'm afraid next week's prog might kill me...!

I hope someone's finding them useful...?

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/" target="_blank">2000AD Review

Tiplodocus

Keep up the good work Gavin.  It's a good site and though I disagree with a lot of your views, it's enertaining to read them and the contrast with Logan.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Oddboy

Gavin - a slight point to pick with you re: your Sin/Dex review - wasn't Billi Demi's little sister rather than daughter?
I might be wrong, but if I am then top respect to Demi for regaining that figure after childbirth!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

Yeah, she's her kid sister.

I fairly enjoyed this week's prog, despite the feeling I always get when Tharg's tying up loose ends during the prog before a big event.

Gibson is my all-time favourite, but I agree. I'd've liked to have seen what Cam Kennedy or Jock might have done with the Dredd strip this week.
When will we have another proper vehicle for Gibson's perfect female forms? :-)

Red Seas - Decent ending to a great fun strip

Asylum - Likewise, with the art remaining the real highlight

SinDex - Pointless and depressing. How has the standard slipped so far?

- Trout

JimBob

I did enjoy Red Seas and could see Harrihausen animating  Doyles multiple arms, I also particularly liked the camp, stones quoting devil, pity he didnt start with "pleased to meet you, hope you've guesed my name."
 On the subject of the mighty Edgington any one else notice the two thugs in Scarlett traces were the men from the Man Who would be king? Great film, never read the book.
 He gets my vote as best non-wagner writer this year, the cherry on the cake being his Yank bewildering references in DCs Establishment, how many Good old boys have heard of Mr Bronson?  

Trout

I once met Mr Bronson himself, actually a luvvy actor called Michael Sheard.

I lost face in our office for failing to shout at him - "You killed Danny Kendall!"

- Trout