Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

As an adult watching TOS, I have to say more often than not that acronym is missing just one more "S"

The po-faced  bore-athon of TNG made me feel like I had fallen into a gravity well of tedium and smug self regard - I don't think I could face putting myself through that as an adult.

I quite like Discovery despite it's faults

JamesC

There was some good stuff with Pike in the latest episode - he's the best character in the programme by far.
The rest was a bit of a bore fest. Michael and Spock have zero personality so their scenes just plod along while I become increasingly irritated by the ambient music and lens flare.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, Pike is great. Burnham is better when she's bouncing off Tilly and Stametz. The Klingon stuff doesn't work for me now (but it mostly did in S1). But I did enjoy the S31 ship detour and Pike vs. Time Crystal. But he did ge really need to say his choice out loud?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

Solution: use the spore drive to go to the delta quadrant, take your time whilst Control used warp to try and catch up.

Of course that's a nitpick. Never let a mcguffin get in the way of narrative! some poor script choices (Tyler undercut the moment completely, the parents arrived to say goodbye then left everyone else to die - could bring backup...)  And I don't know why bring back the doc just to transfer him now. But I still enjoyed and the crew of discovery are heroes, not war criminals as some have accused them of being.

Tiplodocus

I'm never a big fan of Starfleet on a war footing but I felt this episode, though heavy on the big cheesy emitting, handled the preparation for the (presumably) climactic conflict quite well.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 April, 2019, 12:28:03 AMBut I still enjoyed and the crew of discovery are heroes, not war criminals as some have accused them of being.

They were only obeying orders when they attempted those genocides and did those murders.  Like heroes.

Theblazeuk

They stopped *that* genocide and didn't do any murders. That was literally the plot of the episode.

Professor Bear

They didn't stop that genocide, they were prevented from carrying it out by an officer disobeying orders.  This is the literal opposite of doing the right thing.
I also consulted with the crew of Burnham's prison shuttle and the original Doctor and they agree with you that no-one on the crew did any murders so you win that one.

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 April, 2019, 12:16:37 PM
they attempted those genocides and did those murders.

Steady on Prof, there might be a few Trekkies left.

JamesC

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest crime is to put Spock in it and then give him nothing to do.
It's like someone thought adding Spock would be a really cool idea and then they forgot to write a part for him.

Theblazeuk

I mean really, you have a problem with Sarek and Admiral Brook and the other people who gave them those orders, not the crew of Discovery. An officer disobeying orders, stopping Starfleet from acting immorally?

Yeah we're watching Star Trek...

Professor Bear

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 April, 2019, 03:18:23 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 April, 2019, 12:16:37 PM
they attempted those genocides and did those murders.

Steady on Prof, there might be a few Trekkies left.

If you think Trekkies don't like arguing about Trek, please allow me to welcome you to your first day on the internet.

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 April, 2019, 04:45:57 PM
If you think Trekkies don't like arguing about Trek, please allow me to welcome you to your first day on the internet.

Strangely though, not much of that goes on around here when it comes to ... well, pretty much anything except politics ... this place is weird!

Theblazeuk

I only watched Short Treks just before this episode, which was good timing. [spoiler]Reckon that Calypso was hinting at the end of this time travel stuff? And the further adventures will take place on Discovery Mk2? Or perhaps (and this I doubt), Discovery will jump forward to the end of the TNG/DS9 period, allowing for Patrick Stewart et al to make cameos?[/spoiler]

Professor Bear

Shame anyone legitimately paying to watch Discovery in the UK via legal means is deliberately excluded from part of the story by CBS' Short Treks bullshit.