Main Menu

Cover of the Year - 1979

Started by Spikes, 30 July, 2013, 05:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

I guess we all know the drill by now - simply pick your three fave cover's from the year in question.

1.) Prog 131, and a absolute killer Bolland Dredd

2.) Prog 116, and King Carlos comes up with the goods - yet again. Think one of our own is lucky enough to own the original art for this.

And last, but no means least;
3.) Prog 99 features some classic Gibbons, from a classic story - and a cover that's just pure 2000ad.

ming

ming

Surprisingly easy one for me this time around:

Greg M.

My pick:

1:

Kleggs are scary.

2:

2000AD in a nutshell - weird-looking robot fights weird-looking dinosaur. Feel the power!

3:

If Kleggs are scary, Doc Feeleygood is bloody terrifying. Hum-de-hummm!

Staz Johnson

ok, here's my three..

1)

Just a superb cover, & I always loved how the logo was incorporated into the art.

2)

I remember being astounded by this. Apparantly so was Ron Smith, since he swiped from it numerous times....

3)

I love everything about this cover. It's so evocative of the time.

Eamonn Clarke

1. Prog 98 Brian Bolland

2. Prog 134 Brian Bolland

3. Prog 143 Carlos Ezquerra Ka-blam!

HM Ron Smith of Prog 111

Colin YNWA

Incredibly tough. As I often say ask me tomorrow and I'll probably give you a different answer... except my number one.

1. Amazing cover, so iconic and evocative of what 2000ad's all about. Some lucky bugger around these parts owns this don't they?

2. If this cover was on some US cover today people would go gar gar over it as so new and innovative. HA Marvel, DC, Image and the rest of you we had this stuff going on years ago!

3. I'm a sucker for a Tharg cover! And again doesn't some lucky sod around these part own this one as well...I'm capable of astonishing leaves of jealousy and hate you know!

Can't believe no more ABC covers, no Dredd, none of those lush Dan Dare cover made it. So many great covers!

Simon Beigh

1) The legend that is Ron Smith. The motion of the wrecking ball is sublime

2) Kleggs! Nuff said really!

3) Sucker for a Christmas cover, and this Rey Carlos one has a particularly nasty chappie attacking our Tharg!

Bubba Zebill

I like so much that's here...but that O'Neil prog 112 is outstanding...breathtaking colour and design and although I must have seen it I can't remember having done so.

Timeless.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Jim_Campbell

1979 was my first year as a 'proper' 2000AD reader. Every single one of these covers (well, from 104 onwards) instantly evokes that feeling of wonder at all these strange, unfamiliar worlds that would drop through the letterbox along with the Saturday newspaper. Every single page held me spellbound.

Just. Fantastic.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Eamonn Clarke

Totting up the votes so far it would seem that Kevin O'Neill on 112

pips Brian Bolland on prog 98

Difficult to separate the rest of the pack for third place with several tied on 3 point each

malak brood

Modesty prevents me voting for the art I own, so:-

1. Massimo, very memorable, would love this one on my wall.....

2. Carlos, Munton I envy you   :P

3. McMahon 138, Just reading the Meknificent 7 so ....

malak brood

still haven't got the hang of posting images....

1. 136
2. 104
3. 138

:-[

Eamonn Clarke

I think that leaves the overall standings the same
O'Neill leads the pack on 112