Main Menu

Prog 1803 - Splashdown

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 29 September, 2012, 08:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Great Swamp Thing cover by Langley.

Dredd

Can Henry Flint do a bad drawing? This is talky-talky but looks... great. May need a re-read to get through all the chess chat, but it's suitable omnious for a "prelude to coming events" (as Tharg calls it).

Who is the biscuit dunking maniac talking to Dredd? Is that a reference to Cal at the end ("that nasty business with theat awful man and his fish")? Colour me intrigued.

ABC Warriors

Kinda routine getting from A to B. But nice robot shots. And the B&W art is stunning. Except it's not all B&W: look at the red eyes on page 2. There does, though, seem to be a bit of Swamp Thing being channelled.

Brass Sun

Not a lot happens for me. A girl gets chased. And why did the bridge break?

Twisted Tale

Sorry. I just don't like these. It's probably jealousy. But there are only so many times I can take a story where small animals/ creatures silently get their revenge on a nasty human. At least, I think that is what it is about (again) - I only saw the pictures as I flicked the pages.

Grey Area

This is good stuff and shows you can do police type stories without the violence. For any nay-sayers, I'd argue that you could see this being a Wagner Dredd.

No letters.
Lock up your spoons!

Darren Stephens

No prog at Stephens Conapts. Colour me sad. :/
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Dandontdare

I'm amazed by people who get their post at this time of the morning! Ours arrives about 11-12, and my prog doesn't normally get here till Tuesday these days.  :(

Mikey

I got my prog yesterday! Haven't read it yet, just wanted to crow a bit.

It is a groovy cover...

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Danbo

Great Dredd story, [spoiler]I wonder who the bicky dunker is?[/spoiler]

Loving Grey Area too,just going to put the kettle on and it's ABC time.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

James Stacey

What a cracking Dredd. Densly packed stuff worthy of Mr Wagner. A very exciting set up with some great hooks from the past without feeling like fan service. Colour me intreagued. My only criticism is that once again, despite being proved right on countless times Dredds opinion is ignored.

bluemeanie

Just to say that scene with Hershey is fucking HARDCORE! Almost wanted to stop and ask someone "Can.... can she DO that?". Loved it. And of course points for the cool song ref in there as well.

Loved the ABC art and the cover is a thing of beauty... just posted a high rez over on the website.

Twisted Tales lost me a bit and as was said, it seemed like a variation on one we've seen before.
Still enjoying Grey Area but Brass Sun doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Another of those "I'll read it again in one go when its finished... see if it clicks then" strips I think.

oshii

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 29 September, 2012, 08:50:14 AM

Brass Sun

Not a lot happens for me. A girl gets chased. And why did the bridge break?

Wasn't it because her grandfather exploded when he was burnt at the stake last week?  There was a panel with him saying something like "come on, I mixed it right" and then exploding as the flames licked up. I'm assuming he drank some liquid explosive in order to destroy the bridge.  Or something.

Good prog (except Twisted Tales for me. Sorry.  I've tried, but now I think I just don't like them).  Got to be the first time Hershey has been written with a good meaty bit of character isn't it?  Anyway, loved it and being drawn by Flint is never going to hurt.  Good stuff.

Mikey

I has read it now!

Dredd was wonderful. As has been mentioned, a really dense read that felt longer than it was all in a good way. And who the hell is the mystery caller? I wasn't sure if it someone we should know about or not - he does say he's not in the official history but does that mean the Justice Dept one, rather than the comic? Wiser and more knowledeable heads can fill me in. And Hershey - you go girl! Flint Dredd is always a pleasure especially with that man Blythe, who has become the essential MC1 pallette meister. Not to leave out the Parkhouse droid, natch!

ABC Warriors was also wonderful. Really nice to see some line work from Langley and I'm intrigued as to how this dovetails with Ro-Busters. Great stuff!

Unfortunately Brass Sun just wasn't long enough but plenty happens thankfully. Hard to make more comment than bring on the next episode, can't wait to see it. More great stuff!

Twisted Tale confused me in places this week I'm afraid, but I do like to see it in the prog and am a fan of the strip as a whole.

Grey Area continues to be a good read but I feel it needs a 'big' storyline soon to cement it's foundation. That's a minor point that's meant in a positive way as I really like the strip, but maybe the plan is for it to remain a sci fi cop soap...

That's a fine bit of prog you've served up Tharg.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Cactus

Can someone please tell me when we first learned about the [spoiler]clone of Kazan[/spoiler]? I don't recall him at all and I get the feeling a Thargnote has fallen off that page. Apart from that jarring introduction I thoroughly enjoyed this week's instalment, especially Hershey's outburst.

Quote from: Mikey on 29 September, 2012, 11:56:07 AM
Grey Area continues to be a good read but I feel it needs a 'big' storyline soon to cement it's foundation. That's a minor point that's meant in a positive way as I really like the strip, but maybe the plan is for it to remain a sci fi cop soap...

It's funny you should say that. When they tried to [spoiler]arrest the ambassador[/spoiler] I thought to myself "this is the big story that Grey Area's been lacking." I take it you didn't see it that way?

I think that in response to Tharg's editorial about the "whole eleven volumes" of Nikolai Dante we should all contact the nerve centre this week and point out that volume three is still egregiously out of print.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

jabish

Dredd..

'That awful man and his fish'?

[spoiler]Cal?[/spoiler]

oshii

When the mystery man says about the fish "ah, but that wasn't in the official history was it?", has made me wonder if he actually has appeared before, but will be some flashback based revelation

JamesC

Great Prog.

Love the ABC Cover. All Langley's ABC Covers are things of beauty!

Dredd:
Best one for a while. Very intriguing and Dredd got a great bollocking from Hershey. My theory about the line 'not in the official history' is that this is a character from a non-Wagner Dredd from shortly after the Cal era. I think that saying it isn't official history could be a little dig at people who only take Wagner's stories as being canon.

ABCs:
Love it. Great art and I really want to see how Hammerstein ends up at the robo-mart!

Brass Sun:
Not much happened. This is a slow paced story and I'm still not totally convinced. I'm prepared to give it to the end of this run to hook me though - otherwise it may become a 'skipper'.

Twisted Tales:
These really aren't my cup of tea. As usual I found it hard to follow and then not worth the effort.

Grey Area:
I love this. The world has a very authentic feel to it. I reckon this would make a great TV show.

James Stacey

'right after that nasty business with that awful man with his fish' could refer to after the Cal Files incident as well as The Day the Law Died.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: James Stacey on 29 September, 2012, 11:06:53 AM
My only criticism is that once again, despite being proved right on countless times Dredds opinion is ignored.

And yet when he's wrong, he's spectacularly wrong. ''Let's repeal the mutant laws. I forsee no problems.''
@jamesfeistdraws