Main Menu

AUGUST ART COMP - DREDD'S DEAD, BABY, DREDD'S DEAD

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 01 August, 2016, 09:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 17 August, 2016, 06:27:59 PM
As far as what this means for the comp - we carry on this month but in the future we'll have to see.

See, this is exactly what I was afraid was going to happen... :/

Hawkmumbler

As I believe I said elsewhere, Pete's entries into the art and story comps are firmly in the Viz trend of toilet humor. Ridiculous and offensive yet entirely light hearted, in a competition such as this where the forumites vote for a favorite, I've noticed Pete's entries excel in the H/M department, fitting considering their content and attitudes.

Plus, you know. Art should be for for everyone.

I do love Dilworth and everything he's done for the community, both large and small, but I couldn't agree with his stance over this particular affair.

Now, back to the gorgeous art...

deedeetee

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 17 August, 2016, 08:33:21 PM
As far as what this means for the comp - we carry on this month but in the future we'll have to see.

See, this is exactly what I was afraid was going to happen... :/

Me too, I don't get the time to draw that often, and I like that a competition like this gets me thinking about different subjects and ideas. It gives me some sort of purpose for drawing every month, even if I rarely get the chance to get anything done to submit, I'm always thinking of ideas to submit, every month. I, for one, would miss this contest.

Goaty

I still not enter my first artwork for this art comp, and I am happy it still going on.

I agree this allow for everyone to enter.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 August, 2016, 07:55:28 PM
Your admirable desire to be even-handed and fair does you credit, Owen, but on this occasion I don't  think James was voicing a minority opinion and was unjustly shouted down, I think he was just plain wrong.

I don't see a 'mob' here, I see plain evidence of how fondly the art comp is viewed by very many forum members, not just those who participate, and an admirable collective desire to stand up for the principle that it should always be open to those who don't take it that seriously.

I'd rather be misguidedly even-handed than think that "act like a dick, get called out for acting like a dick. Throw your toys out of the pram. I hope he calms down and reconsiders," is a response, seen by James that would genuinely make him (or anyone really) think, "oh fair enough I'll give those guys another chance."

He probably should have done a lot of things, he definitely shouldn't have said what he did but the massive tidal wave of cumulative abuse aimed at him after the fact isn't going to change anything beyond making  other folk that aren't him really consider whether this is the nicest atmosphere in which to put their artwork. I think more so than if his original comment was left to die in embarrassing silence.

Again - I can't change that. What I can do is take serious stock about the function of the competition and think about whether this echo chamber of in-jokes and bullish banter is genuinely the best place to center it. The really grim reality that old forumers have even rushed back in from the wilderness just to get some swift kicks in to an already one-sided fight because they read about it on Facebook is ... really not showing our best side. Certainly not as a loose social group but definitely not as a fandom.

If the spirit of the art comp is letting everyone of all abilities have a go which everyone has been so bold to defend then honestly we need to think about the POV of "everyone" not just people who know and are endeared to Pete and our 'way'.

Again - I'm not defending what was originally said, I'm just providing another perspective.

ZenArcade

I guess CFM,  like me, is concerned with the deterioting 'mood' of the Monthly Competition.... the fun is seeping away before our eyes.
I am resolute in the defense of a level playing field for all, not just artists; but we are losing this thread in spite of all of our best hopes and efforts: what to do here people? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quite right Mister Fox. Every entry should be required to submit exactly how much blood, sweat and tears went into it. Although you could be opening a big can of worms whether aforementioned should be measured in empirical or metric units. Just so long as there's no faecal matter involved eh?

I was going to enter this month but now I'm afraid it might hurt Mister Dilworth's precious feelings.

This is in jest, just in case you didn't realize.

Fox, you've done amazing things for this comp. From Tharg's choice to Droid's choice, you've taken it to the next level. Don't let one little tantrum ruin it for everyone else.
You may quote me on that.

ZenArcade

James point was misguided in the main, that I'll agree with; but there needs to be a measure in our reaction.  A cascade of opprobrium just (to me) isn't what we, as a forum, are about. The measure of reaction just doesn't sit easily with me. Z

CrazyFoxMachine

ZenArcade

Andy Lambert

Pete Wells

This post isn't directed at Owen, it's just my thoughts about the whole silly business.

It'd be ridiculous if we lost the art competition because of this stupid little incident. It really is, or should be, a storm in a very small teacup.

Yep, to be honest, I really didn't appreciate how James responded to my initial post or indeed to my polite and measured subsequent responses. I'm sure you've all noticed that I'm not a budding artist. I have a young family with whom I love spending time with and a job role that takes up a significant amount of my time. The reality is, I simply don't have the time to pour hours and hours into my entries but still enjoy the chance to be creative. James was incredibly rude and definitely having a go at the wrong person if he thinks I would disrespect anyone or am not in awe of the amazing talents and efforts of others. However, I'm an adult (despite the childishness of my entries) and it's certainly nothing that I lost any sleep over and he definitely wouldn't have stopped me entering next month, should the topic tickle my fancy. I do hope I see him at a con so we can hopefully giggle about this nonsense, have a pint and get on with being nerds.

I am very sad that James has gone, I genuinely appreciated his contributions. However, I feel I must say if he wants to be a professional artist, and it certainly looks like he has the potential to be, he needs a thicker skin and a more professional manner. If he's going to walk away or have public, foul mouthed tantrums every time he sees something he doesn't like or agree with, he's going to make life difficult for himself in any profession. Especially something as 'public' as that of a comic artist.

I think Jim has hit the nail squarely on the head when he says people responded the way they did because they genuinely care about the fairness of the competition.  It is definitely one of the most important threads here and I feel we'd be cutting off our noses if it were to go. Please, let's not lose it because of my warped sense of humour.

Finally, this bit IS directed at Owen - I'm truly sorry I've caused you headaches again sir, you're a lovely bloke and it's the last thing I'd want to do. If I don't see Andy Lambert's, Steve Longdon's or indeed James Dillworth's entries each month, this will be a much poorer place.

EDIT - as I was typing this drivel, Uwe de Witt's entry popped up. That is ALL the evidence we need to keep this fine competition!

ZenArcade

Still not sold on this Pete....the guy was wound up and exercised (not purposefully); but I don't like people being singled out to be fucking thrown to the wolves and savaged. Z

Andy Lambert

What's done is done now - please, let's take something from the whole situation and learn from it in order to make the competition great again. Time to put it behind us and get back to all the fun and creativity that brought us all here in the first place.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 August, 2016, 10:01:32 PM
Still not sold on this Pete....the guy was wound up and exercised (not purposefully); but I don't like people being singled out to be fucking thrown to the wolves and savaged. Z

Again: he wasn't singled out. He was just plain wrong. He got 'savaged' because he was being an elitist dick, seeking to exclude entries that didn't meet his exacting standards.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.