Main Menu

MEG 304

Started by moly, 08 November, 2010, 09:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Quote from: Judge Olde on 02 December, 2010, 08:58:41 PM
If when reading the Meg I enjoyed most of what I mostly skim read through - I'd buy it. I tired of paying for reprints that I'd already paid for once & if I wanted to read tankgirl I would. The Meg has become more magazine than comic now - perhaps? 

You know Tank Girl has been gone for over 6 months ?

Spaceghost

Quote from: Judge Olde on 02 December, 2010, 08:58:41 PM
If when reading the Meg I enjoyed most of what I mostly skim read through - I'd buy it. I tired of paying for reprints that I'd already paid for once & if I wanted to read tankgirl I would. The Meg has become more magazine than comic now - perhaps? 

Well the comic pages far outweigh the article pages. Also, what articles there are, usually about 50% are must read, the other 50% are usually entertaining to some degree and most of the comics are great.

Not that I'm trying to twist your arm into buying it or anything but a Judge Dredd fan not buying the Meg just boggles my mind.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

leebrown1990

I havent been reading the Meg long; so excuse my ignornace if what I say contradicts the truth of the matter before I jumped onboard, say MEG 207. Anyway; I've been thinking the last couple of weeks, what story format suits the MEG best. For AD I like a full line up of ongoings all similar length, if one drops off early fill it with a FS.

With the MEG I really like the Dredd one shots and the Tales from the Black Museum, but with the other stories my enjoyment really is dependant on how long it runs. Lilly Mackenzie, slowly developing, chracter driven, makes sense it running for a good few months. But with Anderson I don't think there was enough to the story to justify the length it ran. Whilst Hondo City and the latest Armitage both seemed to wrap up too quickly, there seemed be a lot more they could explore but moving on so quickly made what we did see seem throw away.

I know the craziness of MegaCity-One and the seemingly simple nature of Dredd is what makes the character so versatile, you can shake up the tone and length of a thrill and it can always pack a punch. Would Anderson, Armitage and Inaba benifit from the One shot format? I don't mind the Prog when it is a short breezy read, with some laughs and just gorgeous art to look at, even with little to no dialogue like Skakara or Kingdom. Afterall we only have to wait a week till the next instalment. The Meg on the otherhand we wait a month, the strips go by a lot faster than articales, I wouldn't mind a denser read. Some of Alec Worleys work, Dandridge in paticular since the Prog alread has Ampney Crucis would shine in the Meg, whereas in the Prog it sometimes comes across overly wordy.

Any thoughts from you guys?

Cheers,
Lee

"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

moly

i would'nt mind if they did some stories maybe something like was in LoEG would be good and would be more relevant than some of the articules.. i know the interviews are interesting but think there getting close to running out of people to do interviews with

Proudhuff

there is still Wagner...  :D
DDT did a job on me

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: vzzbux on 23 November, 2010, 08:43:49 PM
Lifeboat would be a coup for the Meg.

AS would be that Mike McMahon Tank Girl he's currently working on.  :) :) :)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Proudhuff

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 13 December, 2010, 01:29:02 AM
Quote from: vzzbux on 23 November, 2010, 08:43:49 PM
Lifeboat would be a coup for the Meg.

AS would be that Mike McMahon Tank Girl he's currently working on.  :) :) :)

I think the problem with TG is/was its lack of substance, the art has always been top notch, MM would be continuing that situation.
DDT did a job on me

DrJomster

Playing catch up? Yup, that's me Sam!

Sooooooo, much has been said already here and to be fair I'm in with the majority of posters. Lilly and the Black Museum are very nice indeed, quite frankly. In fact I'm starting to think wam thoughts about Lillly GNs! I thought Nick Dyer seemed to go a bit McMahon in some of the earlier panels, which was nice, then became more Dyer later on, which was interesting. But nobody else has mentioned it so maybe its just me. I did like the colouring again in Anderson.

I'll stop there as I want to focus in my favourite bits.

All in all, as a new Meg reader, I'm liking it a lot. I AM aware though that it's critically dependent on having at least two out of the four stories plus GN being winners. 302 was strong, but 303 & 4 have been good but close to the edge. The Meg clearly has an important role though and I feel a bit bad about taking so long to jump on. The £2 price point on clickwheel and the Megacast however won me over!

See you in 305!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Alski

Now who could I contact regarding the fact my letter prize hasn't arrived?
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Proudhuff

maybe write a letter...?
DDT did a job on me

DrJomster

Is this some sort of pre-scripted comedy duo I see in action here...?   ;)
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Grant Goggans

My local comic shop finally got this in (along with some more recent Megs).  I'm rereading progs from 2006, with Boo Cook's occasionally hard-to-follow artwork on Harry Kipling.  I love Harry, but sometimes the pages were a bit too dense with color.  Cook's work on the Anderson House of Vyle story here - nowhere close to Alan Grant's best work - is just amazing and vibrant.  I can't wait to see what he draws next.