Main Menu

Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney - Quarter finals

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 June, 2020, 06:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well we're down to the last eight and its going to be tight, even tighter from here on in. I'm a little sad that we've lost all our qualifers but there's some interesting folks through to the Quarters and some wonderful talent has been lost. Such is the nature of a random draw.

Quarters will start tomorrow (Tuesday) morning and I'll continue to run two a day so we can wrap this up by the end of the week and get to the final before the end of June (I think it is). That will let us focus on Broodbilks fantastic best of the Rebellion years vote

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46524.0

And then to another vote based tourney, even bigger and better than this one!

CAN YOU HANDLE THE EXCITMENT?!?

broodblik

Can not wait to see which heavy weights are lined-up against each other
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 June, 2020, 06:54:42 AM
...there's some interesting folks through to the Quarters...

You can just say 'Alan McKenzie'.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 June, 2020, 08:03:24 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 June, 2020, 06:54:42 AM
...there's some interesting folks through to the Quarters...

You can just say 'Alan McKenzie'.

Well to be honest I'm as surprised that Gareth Ennis has got this far.

Greg M.

Now you need to rig an Ennis / McKenzie face off.

Colin YNWA

Well I'm having one of those days when its hard to get into work and so draw is made. While I'll save the results of that until the votes start heres a full list with (pointless) seedings*

2 - Pat Mills
3 - Dan Abnett
8 - Ian Edginton
9 - Garth Ennis
10 - Rob Williams
12 - Pete Milligan
16 - Alan McKenzie
20 - Alan Moore

*For those who haven't, wisely, bothered to read all my blattering the seeding is based on AlexF's count of how much folks have written... and an out of date one at that. Oh he put the effort in and sent me an updated list, I just snubbed all his excellent work as I'm a deeply lazy man! They are therefore pretty arbitary - I mean Alan Moore is not really the 20th most likely to win here now is he!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 June, 2020, 08:42:05 AM
Now you need to rig an Ennis / McKenzie face off.

I'm being very honest here... but the chances aren't outlandishly are they. Its entirely possible they have been drawn together...

Oh but I have had a slight tweak of the order again...

JayzusB.Christ

The guy who wrote Zenith isn't there, but the guy who wrote the Dredd story with the mutant teddy bear is  :P

Not complaining though, I know it's luck of the draw who faces whom off, and I'm enjoying this tournament immensely.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

"2000AD Forum claims Moonrunners better than Doom Patrol!"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 June, 2020, 11:40:30 AM
"2000AD Forum claims Moonrunners better than Doom Patrol!"

We shouldn't joke!... nips across to Facebook....

TordelBack

Fascinating that Alan McKenzie and Garth Ennis are through, but Alan Grant, the guy that wrote the best years of Dredd, Strontium Dog, Ace Trucking, Robohunter and Anderson (or as I like to summarise it: 2000AD) isn't! In my book those other two barely have three decent 2000AD series between them.

But that's exactly what makes all Colin's hard work so worthwhile, far more thought-and-conversation-provoking than a simple  "Vote 5 points for your favourite Droid!" would ever be.

IndigoPrime

Well, quite. It's all down to the mechanics more than anything, and it's resulting in some interesting conversation. Had it been a straight "vote for your five favourites", people would not have been attempting to balance specific creators, and getting into discussions about the relative merits of their work against each other alone. Many writers would have been ignored entirely.

That said, it is a bit odd to see the 2000 AD equivalents of Spurs and Man Utd out of this particular competition, while Luton Town are still scrapping away.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 June, 2020, 01:17:55 PM
That said, it is a bit odd to see the 2000 AD equivalents of Spurs and Man Utd out of this particular competition, while Luton Town are still scrapping away.

Arh but that's the beauty of the FA Cup... I mean Godpleton Cup - as these votes are leading to ... you never know which big writers will fall along the way.

broodblik

The idea is to get to the ultimate writer how we get there is part of the journey.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++