Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davek

Maggie issue from the Simpsons one shot series (none of them have been as good as the Ralph Wiggim issue but here's hoping). Adventure Time for the kids.

Prophet of course.

And maybe Multiple Warheads (on the back of enjoying Brandon Graham's work in Prophet).

Link Prime

Quote from: Davek on 23 October, 2012, 03:23:45 PM
Prophet of course.

And maybe Multiple Warheads (on the back of enjoying Brandon Graham's work in Prophet).

I ordered 'Multiple Warheads' from Midtown last week bass solely on Graham's name.
Previews look fantastic.

mygrimmbrother

Well I'd been considering picking up the Saga trade and after reading all these glowing reports I just went and took the plunge. Looking forward to this one.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Link Prime on 23 October, 2012, 03:59:50 PM
Prophet of course.

I ordered 'Multiple Warheads' from Midtown last week bass solely on Graham's name.
Previews look fantastic.

You haven't read King City yet? You gotta rectify that man!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 23 October, 2012, 06:44:35 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 23 October, 2012, 03:59:50 PM
Prophet of course.

Previews look fantastic.

You haven't read King City yet? You gotta rectify that man!

I know Adventurer, I know.
Haven't seen it anywhere for a reasonable price, so I'm holding out for a Comixology sale or to add it to the Crimbo wish list.
Fear not- it will be mine!

PreacherCain

King City was recently all collected by Image and released in one lovely volume for an incredibly low price. You should be able to find it cheap enough on BookDepository or Amazon. And it really is brilliant.

Fans of Graham's Prophet or King City should also check out the first volume of James Stokoe's Orc Stain. Similar vibe, fantastic art (he's currently doing that Godzilla: Half Century War for IDW) and Stokoe's a big 2000AD nerd to boot  :P

Peter_Quill

Quote from: PreacherCain on 23 October, 2012, 10:15:53 PM
Fans of Graham's Prophet or King City should also check out the first volume of James Stokoe's Orc Stain. Similar vibe, fantastic art (he's currently doing that Godzilla: Half Century War for IDW) and Stokoe's a big 2000AD nerd to boot  :P

Just got the first Orc Stain trade in the mail and I highly recommend it. Really all of Stokoe's stuff is brilliant to be honest. He has this idea for a book called Spider-Nam that looks awesome.

SmallBlueThing

Wonder Woman #13- which i seem to have paid for weeks ago, and has taken an age to actually come out. I think maybe i misread the release date and have been champing at the bit ever since. Anyway, as usual it's brilliant. A meticulous work of comic craft, with gorgeous pictures and a compelling narrative.

I am old, and so can never remember the  names of those involved except brian azarello. This month's is drawn by the 'back up' artist, who has delivered 6 of the 14 issues so far, and who is my personal choice for best. Though to be honest, you couldnt slide a gnat's cock between them, as they are both fabulous.

First sequence this time takes place in antarctica, which guarantees it high marks from me. It also portrays a graphic piece of fantastic violence (two, in fact, within the pages of the whole comic) that made me spit out my thorntons chocolate (there's a sale on, ive not gone mad). As always, it's about gods and demigods and diana- ww- is as gorgeously drawn- in both the pencil and (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) characterisation senses, as ever. Lots of action, great godly dialogue that doesnt harken back to stan lee's depiction of asgard, and a sense that Wonder Woman, as a 'new 52' title, wouldnt be easily battered into bat-shape by the clumsy hammers of DC editorial.

One to celebrate and cling on to, i feel.

SBT

Mabs

Quote from: Peter_Quill on 23 October, 2012, 11:27:39 PM
Quote from: PreacherCain on 23 October, 2012, 10:15:53 PM

Just got the first Orc Stain trade in the mail and I highly recommend it. Really all of Stokoe's stuff is brilliant to be honest. He has this idea for a book called Spider-Nam that looks awesome.

Wow! The artwork by Stokoe is stunning!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Davek

Orc stain and King City are on my want list (as per posts above). I did have a flick through King City in my lcs and I have to admit, it didn't excite me as much as Prophet did when I started reading that...I hope to be proved wrong.

Colin YNWA

That art is quite astonishing. Panels 3 and 4 have a Joe Kubert quality to them - quite fantastic.

Davek

Just got back from my LCS - haven't read my titles yet but did flick through one I picked up off the shelf for the kids... A-Babies vs X-Babies (like a Tiny Titans version of Marvel universe).  Pretty basic stuff for kids but there is a gorgeous double page panel of a battle scene involving all the characters that I know will be my panel of the week before I read anything else.  Worth a look even if you're not gonna buy.  Also picked up Bravest Warriors #1 (from the creator of Adventure Time).

Peter_Quill

So this week I picked up

Amazing Spider-Man: Good issue, I actually enjoy Dan Slott on this book and I am looking forward to seeing what happens in Superior

Invincible: Man am I ready for this story arc to be over and have Mark back out there fighting...leave the Guarding the Globe stuff to that book.

Prophet: This has to be one of my favorite issue to date story-wise(last issue has had the best art for me with those beautiful spreads) and I am looking forward to learn more about this assassin.

Multiple Warheads: Man what a giant book and for only $3.99. This book took me a very long time to read due to the fact that I studied the images so much. Every little thing had detail to it and I love it. This book picked right up where the first issue(oni-press I think) which was really cool. But I'm sad to hear it's only going to be 3-5 issues a month.

Debris: All I have to say about this is, man what a lousy ending to a pretty cool book. Very disappointed with it, unless I missed something and one of you guys could help me out.

Colin YNWA

A three week haul this week, but to be honest its a mixed bag. Ennis' Shadow finished with issue 6 and probably deserves a re-read, just don't feel that motivated to do so. Creator Owned Comics took its first real mis-step with the new stories in issue 5, which is such a shame as I've really enjoyed the book to date but Killswitch really didn't grab me and offered nothing new and seemed silly at times, still we'll see how it progresses, 'Black Sparrow' was fine enough just so very slight. Still hopefully things will look up and Palmiotti and Gray more than redemned themselves with the excellent Jonah Hex 13 one of the best of the bunch. Speaking of slight Li'l Depressed Boy 14 continues to impress my only beef with the comic is its all over so quickly but while its there is brilliant.

Frankenstein 13 was okay but I'll be seeing this series out anyway now but if it wasn't ending soon I think it might not have made the cut. IT Girl and the Atomics 3 was such fun, I just think the comic could be a little more interesting, still it's got itself a few more issues. Everyone has been raving about Batman 13 and it was very good and all, just not the very best as some people have said. Batman Inc 4 was possibly my prefered Batman comic this time? Wonder Woman 13 was solid if not spectacular and I'm with this book as long as Azzarello is I think. The Massive 5 was great and this is one of my fav books right now, just feels so different.

Finally Matt Wagner's criminally ignore run on Zorro ends with a suitably uplifting finale in Zorro Rides Again 12. I've loved his work here... mind now he can get back to Mage huh huh.

To be fair all of these were read in light of Prog 1807 which puts all other comics in the shade!