Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Adventure Time is awsome! So move closer with hesitation.

Colin YNWA

This weeks haul was small but perfectly formed... well maybe perfectly is over stating it but it had some real highlights. To the start though. Jonah Hex 20 was a lot better than last months and his relationship with Booster Gold while predictable was wonderfully presented. Batman Inc 11 was a fun little interlude, but an interlude none the less and while I know DC wants to keep the trains moving on time I'd have rather had a skip month than something so disposable, given the nature of Batman Inc I reckon they could have done that. Still fun comic in and of itself.

The Bounce 1 was pretty intriguing introduction but it was setting up so much that nothing quite had enough time. Still interesting and I'll be back for more to see where this goes. Sex 3 felt for the first time as if the nooky was rather cranked in, not just cranked up and some of the ideas felt well trodden BUT its still a great read and a book I really really enjoy.

Now the highlights I mentioned, both The Massive 12 and Nowhere Men 5 were brilliant, I absolutely loved both. Nowhere Men 5 gets top spot simply by being such a great package, looks wonderful, has so much packed in, is a brilliant read, with the two main strands of the story seeming to being heading towards a meeting, all for only $2.99. Wonderul.

The Adventurer

Looks like I forgot to do something this week...

NEW COMICS SHIPPING THE WEEK OF 05-29-13

My Digital Pulls
2000 AD #1834
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #249 - Crossover is really starting to heat up.
THE WAKE #1 - Checking it out based on Sean Murphy's name alone (Punk Rock Jesus was so great...) can't comment on Synder. Since I've not read anything by him before.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP #26 - This issue announced an open contest to Japan, China, Taiwan, and the USA for writers and artists to create an original one-shot Shonen manga. Prize is to be published in Jump and $5000. Check it out.

COVER GALLERY

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 01 June, 2013, 08:17:15 AM

THE WAKE #1 - Checking it out based on Sean Murphy's name alone (Punk Rock Jesus was so great...) can't comment on Synder. Since I've not read anything by him before.

Synder is pretty damned good. His run with Jock and Francesco Francavilla on Detective with Dick Grayson as Batman was exceptional on every level. His current Batman run is also very good, if not quite up to those heights. His Swamp Thing was very entertaining and at times was genuinely chilling, though debatably not often enough given how really scary his Detective run was at times.

Over all I'm very impress with him as a writer, he's not the savior some would have him be, and he's not good enough that I'll guarantee picking up anything by him (Superman with Jim Lee is enough for me to pass) BUT everything I've read of his has impressed and I'd say he's by far DCs best at the moment (since Grant Morrison has all but moved on) and streets ahead of Johns (who to be honest I don't rate at all highly a couple of runs aside).

Daveycandlish

THE WAKE should be brilliant - Snyders' American Vampire is a fantastic collection I would recommend to anyone. Couple his writing with Sean Murphy's distinctive art and it looks like a winner.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 01 June, 2013, 08:17:15 AM
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP #26 - This issue announced an open contest to Japan, China, Taiwan, and the USA for writers and artists to create an original one-shot Shonen manga. Prize is to be published in Jump and $5000. Check it out.
Yeah. Saw that. Wonder if I can get around this somehow. :-\

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 01 June, 2013, 08:38:04 AM
Synder is pretty damned good. His run with Jock and Francesco Francavilla on Detective with Dick Grayson as Batman was exceptional on every level.

A 2nd recommendation for this run by me.
A modern must-read, and the best Batman story published since the 80's.

The Adventurer

Going to start keeping this more brief rather then the more elaborate posting I've done in the past. As much as I like archiving covers, and linking previews, its become a bit tiresome lately.

So yeah... My Digital Pulls

2000 AD 1835 - Stickleback concludes on a high note, as does the latest Judge Dredd series. I am really digging Sinister Dexter right now, glad its back.

ASTRO CITY 1 - Astro City has returned folks. Now its under Vertigo, but its the same as it ever was. In other Astro City news, old Astro City issues have started appearing on ComiXology. And the first issue is free. So that's pretty rad.

EAST OF WEST 3 - This series is pretty cool and ticks all my boxes. Curious where its going.

HEROBEAR AND THE KID SPECIAL One-Shot - The original Herobear & the Kid mini-series was one of my first indie comic loves. So seeing its return to comics has got me super hyped.

HYPERNATURALS 12 - Final issue. This series has been a wild ride. DnA still have that Legion of Super-Heroes passion. To bad no one at DC seems interested in giving them back the gig. I hope this series returns some day, I've become rather attached to some of the characters.

INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE 3 - Hester and Nauck can do no wrong. Better then Invincible currently.

SAVAGE DRAGON 188 - Erik Larsen is shaking things up for a big status quo shift in a few issues. No body shakes up Status quos like Erik Larsen.

WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 27 - Issue felt a bit short with One Piece still MIA for the second week running. But for a dollar I suppose I can cope.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 June, 2013, 05:49:41 AM
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 27 - Issue felt a bit short with One Piece still MIA for the second week running. But for a dollar I suppose I can cope.
The Dressrosa arc doesn't look like it's going away any time soon, I think narrative is switching to the Ceaser Exchange group after this and it's gonna last a while. ::)
Saying that Oda's art work seem's to have become a lot more sharp recently, much improved.

Mardroid

Not really the thread for this, but I didn't really want to start a new one. I had planned to put this in the New 52s thread but that thread hasn't been posted in for aaages (well, okay, february) so I'm not sure I should resurrect it...

Anyway. I popped along to Comixology to see if the new Animal Man and Swamp Thing comics were out (Swamp Thing is, Animal Man isn't) so I could download last month's for the £1.00 discount... and they were the same price. One search later, I came across this...

Little rascals. So... do I wait another whole month for the price to drop? My memory is bad enough as it is.

Not a big deal really, but just a little heads up for anyone who waits for the monthly discount.

Okay back to the spirit of this thread- mainly the same pulls for me:  2000 AD, The Megazine and, on the digital front the afore mentioned Animal Man, and Swamp Thing and All Star Western.

I also noticed that the lastest Dark Tower Comic: On Evil Ground #2 is finally out on Comixology so I pulled that too. I'm also reading comics from the the library but as there's another thread for that and I've waffled on enough.... blah blah, etc.

The Adventurer

Yeah DC pushing the price drop back a further month is quite annoying.

Fortunately DC's cancelled pretty much every book I care about!

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 06/12/13

2000 AD 1836 - Defoe returns this issue. While I dig Leigh Gallagher's art (wish they were doing the upcoming Aquila series) I find Pat Mill's scripting to just not take advantage of the the art quality. I've read even prior Defoe series to this, and I have no notion of the current status quo.
MANHATTAN PROJECTS 12 - I feel like its been a while since the last issue of this. Nice to see it again.
MEGA MAN 26 - Sonic Crossover is half over, and its still great fun.
STAR WARS 6 - Brian Woods gets Star Wars. I've been enjoying this series immensely.
TRANSFORMERS: REGENERATION ONE 92 - Another title that it feels like its been an age since the last issue. Sort of glad we're back dealing with Prime and Earth.
WALKING DEAD 111 - Continues to be Walking Dead. For better, or for worse.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 28 - This issue apparently contains the final installment of the monthly series Rurouni Kenshin - Restoration. I'm not sure if I ever quite got hold of the plot (since i think there were maybe... 4 or 5 installments since I started reading Jump in January) but I've generally liked the series. Hope they find something to fill its slot with.

sheldipez

Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 June, 2013, 09:05:06 AM
WALKING DEAD 111 - Continues to be Walking Dead. For better, or for worse.

Walking Dead volume 18 (#103 - #108) landed at the weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's good that the Neagan conflict hasn't turned into just another Governor 2.0 and he's actually a whole different kinda crazy.

BATMAN #21 looks a whole different kind of awesome too. I can't wait for this.

I was going to check out Superman Unchained #1 but looks like a "directors cut" is out in a month's time that consists of Jim Lee's pencils so I think I'll wait for that version.

Few others that I'll be grabbing this week too, I think Avenging Spider-Man #22 is the last one before it's relaunched as "Superior-Team up", Star Wars continues to be consistantly great; I can't see that changing any time soon.

Link Prime

Quote from: sheldipez on 11 June, 2013, 09:33:37 AM

I was going to check out Superman Unchained #1 but looks like a "directors cut" is out in a month's time that consists of Jim Lee's pencils so I think I'll wait for that version.

Gonna pick up the first issue out of curiosity.
A super-heavyweight creative team sometimes fails to deliver the goods...I'm interested in reading it either way.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheldipez on 11 June, 2013, 09:33:37 AM

BATMAN #21 looks a whole different kind of awesome too. I can't wait for this.

Yeah I'm looking forward to this, Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo have finally broken down my resistance. I loved Snyder's Detective run, partly him, but mainly I thought, the new take, Dick Grayson made a great Batman and working on the contrast between him and Bruce was really effective and made for some great different Batman books. It couldn't last and wouldn't have been as interesting if it had, but it was great while it was there. Oh and the art, one of the most beautiful books I can remember.

So when the Nu52 started and Bruce was back I was fine with that, but not interested. I have a load of great Bruce Wayne comics I didn't need anymore, I stick around for Grant to finish up then I'd be out of there... but somehow I picked up the first issues and it was fun, oh and it turned out I didn't hate Greg Capullo's art as much as I thought I did. When 'Court of Owls' started I rolled my eyes, another Batman crossover who needs it. Well it turned out really well in the core book and to my surprise I loved it, oh and it turned out I really like Greg Capullo's art.

Then a Joker story, another big cross-over, christ alive do we really need that, I was all grumpy figured I'd drop the book if it wasn't going well... except, again in the core title it really did. The Scott Snyder gives good crossover and largely as he drives them I guess, is able to keep his story completely self contained, didn't get any of the crossovers and didn't need to, oh and it turns out I love Greg Capullo's art!

So when he turns round now and says he's going to do a big 11 part origin of Batman story, did I roll my eyes? Did I have a strop, after all who needs another Batman origin story really... you know what I didn't (well a little tiny bit to start then okay) I've bought into it and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does. The other clever thing about this is it pulls him out of all the post Damien stuff, so I assume Peter Tomasi can play with that and the core book doesn't feel like its hanging on waiting for all that new Robin stuff to get sorted.

Now you've suck me in Snyder you'd better not let me down!