Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davek

East of West oozes quality; rattling along at a fair old pace as well... which is kind of strange because my only other experience of Hickman's writing is Manhattan Projects and that seemed to be very much a slow burner for the first 10 issues or so IMO.

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 07-03-13

2000 AD 1839 - The Ten-Seconders returns for its 3rd outing, with the fantastic Edmund Bagwell on art. So we shouldn't have the problem that Ten-Seconders Book 2 had, in that you could never tell what was going on.
47 RONIN 5 - Great series, but I can't wait for Sakai to get back to Usagi.
MISTER X: EVICTION 3 - I've always been a fan of Dean Motter (in fact he may have been responsible for getting me into 'indie' comics thanks to his Electropolis series way back in 2001) and this mini-series is not disappointing. Good stuff.
INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE 4 - I LOVE this comic.
SATELLITE SAM 1 - On the fence with this one. I like Fraction and Chaykin, but I'm a bit behind on my pulls. But that's the great thing about digital, I don't have to buy right away.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 250 - Sonic hits the big 250. The Worlds Collide crossover with Mega Man is still going on though. But we get a really sweet wrap around cover.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 31 - Just heard that Akira (Dragonball) Toriyama has a new weekly series premiering in issue 33. Called Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, its about a powerful alien policeman stranded on earth. Its suppose to be more comedy then pure action. Which is cool. His one-shot Kintoki one-shot back in January was a big reason why I gave WSJ a try, so I'm pretty stoked to see him back on a weekly series. Can't wait.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Davek

Quote from: The Adventurer on 02 July, 2013, 07:10:49 AM
My Digital Pulls for 07-03-13

SATELLITE SAM 1 - On the fence with this one. I like Fraction and Chaykin, but I'm a bit behind on my pulls. But that's the great thing about digital, I don't have to buy right away.

I thought about adding this to my main floppies pull list (as the list has dwindled a bit in the last few months) but decided against it in the end.  I'll go for the trade if it ends up being good.  By coincedence I am currently re-reading Chaykin's The Shadow: Blood & Judgement.

Link Prime

Only 2 non-2000AD comics for me this week:

Über 3 (the artwork isn't sitting too well with me, but I'll finish at least the first arc out of love & respect for Gillen)

Batman Inc 12 (finally getting back to Morrison's endgame after last issues superfluous interlude. I've also asked my LCS to keep me the Morrison variant cover out of sheer curiosity. Looking forward to picking this up)

abc warrior

Getting these :

Trinity of sin Pandora 1
Earth 2  14
Action Comics 22
Stormwatch 22
Dial H 14
Ten Grand 3
Spawn 233

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 July, 2013, 08:49:00 PM
Über 3 (the artwork isn't sitting too well with me, but I'll finish at least the first arc out of love & respect for Gillen)

Yeah completely with you there. I hope to stick around but the art makes it so hard. The other reason I'm staying at least a little longer is apparently the first 3 issues (I think it was 0, 1 and 2) where actually written quite some time ago and then Gillen got distracted and the project sidelined. Issue 3 up (I think) are things written now and so we'll see with the extra comics chops under his belt if the news material is good enough to get me past the art. 

The Adventurer

Sonic the Hedgehog 250 got a little epic this week...

*heart* When Worlds Collide

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Professor Bear

The downside is that several clipart producers will now be out of work for the next few years.

Hawkmumbler

Ben Bates draws a good E-123 Omega. Even the back looks lovely. Oh and I seem to remember there was something else in that panel but i'm sure it's not importent.

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 07-10-13

Definite Buys
2000 AD 1840 - Really digging the new Ten Seconders series. Age of the Wolf is also back, I've been conficted about this series since I first read it. Something always feels a bit off about it. Hopefully 3rd times the charm.
ASTRO CITY 2 - First issue was a great start. So glad this series is back.
BONEYARD BEGINNING One-Shot - Richard Moore's Boneyard is back! Always a fun series.
EAST OF WEST 4 - This series is just something special.
MEGA MAN 27 - No idea how Worlds Collide is going to top last issue.
SAVAGE DRAGON 189 - I have a good feeling this issue is going to be insane. A GOOOOOOOO feeling.
STAR WARS 7 - This series continues to seriously entertain. Really captures the spirit of Star Wars that I enjoy.
WALKING DEAD 112 - I'm kind of getting interested in the story again. Which is good.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 32 - Viz is running a special right now, if you sign up for a Year subscription, and use the code SJAX2013EX at checkout, you can get a year's sub for only $20. You can't beat that deal! Also, now available in the UK (though iOS app only).

Maybe Buys
COLLIDER 1 - I do like Sci-Fi series, but I'm not sure if my budget can handle a new series right now.

abc warrior

Small week -

Ghosted #1 - the premise sounds interesting.
Astro City #2 - long time fan of this series.
Skin Trade #1 - George RR Martin !

Link Prime

Small week for me too, and dis-pleasingly mainstream / fanboyish;

Batman 22 (still the best Batman run since...well since Snyder's run on 'Detective Comics' with Jock).
Superior Spider-Man 13 (I'm almost sorry I started picking this up as I'm finding it hard to quit. There's something about this run that's giving me faint shivers of fanboy glee last felt when reading classic Spidey as a young lad. It's a quality f*ckin comic in other words).

Also, some alarming anti-Snyder news just in; I have no intention of picking up 'Superman Unchained' 2 after that overwhelmingly underwhelming first issue.
I was bitchin about it to my LCS last week, and they jokingly suggested I write a sad poem about it to Snyder on Twiter.
I'm not on Twitter, but did respond with this little ditty;

There once was a writer named Snyder,
If a chick looked as good as he could script I'd wanna ride her,
From Severed to The Wake, not a wrong move did he make,
But when Supes Unchained came along I needed cider.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 July, 2013, 02:11:19 PM
Issue 3 up (I think) are things written now and so we'll see with the extra comics chops under his belt if the news material is good enough to get me past the art.

Didn't know that.
Will be very interesting to see if there's a significant change.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 July, 2013, 05:59:21 PM
There once was a writer named Snyder,
If a chick looked as good as he could script I'd wanna ride her,
From Severed to The Wake, not a wrong move did he make,
But when Supes Unchained came along I needed cider.

Still better than Larkin. :lol: