Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Latest haul in and read and loved.

Over at the Nu52 Batman 22 was fine, nowt special, but good fun. Batman Inc. 12 is hurtling towards a rollicking conclusion can't wait until next month, but will miss Mozza on Batman, its been a fun ride.

Over at Marvel The Superior Foes of Spider-man 1 was a neat little debut, but the humours dark edge wasn't quite sharp or dark enough. Its a good comic but it needs a bit more... 2000ad, as it is it read like the lastest sharp and snappy US sit comic. Still we'll see how develops as it defo has potential.

Over at elsewhere Uber 3 was the most pleasant surprise I was on the verge of dropping this title, but Kieron Gillen's now contemporary writing gives us the best issue yet, art still sucks so still in danger, especially as I'm adding four new titles in October, had some drop offs thought I had two more almost certain, this and Bounce, so lets see if that can have a similar up turn.

The great titles are all still great, East of West 4, Planet of the Apes 11 (I'm gonna miss ya baby...) Sex 4, though this one is in danger of treading water a little, and The Victories 3, which has left me with some subsidary reading into some of the theories its using, always nice, assuming the theories don't wind me up!

The king of the Hill, top of the heap though, is Six Gun Gorilla 2 can everyone please buy the fuck out of this title so it becomes an on-going it really is quite brilliant!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 July, 2013, 08:42:01 PM
b]Planet of the Apes 11[/b] (I'm gonna miss ya baby...)

You really should stop saying things like that every time you mention PotA: Cataclysm.  Repeat after me: "this comic is great and will run for years so you should get in on the ground floor."

Link Prime

Latest haul in and read and loved.

Batman Inc. 12 is hurtling towards a rollicking conclusion can't wait until next month, but will miss Mozza on Batman, its been a fun ride.

That was an astoundingly good comic.
I'll miss it too, but am always slightly 'relieved' when a pull-list comic reaches a natural conclusion.
Roll on next months finale (which will in fact feature the Morrison variant cover, as issue 12 did not).

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls

2000 AD 1841 - Simon Davis back on Sinister Dexter makes me smile. Ten-Seconders continues to be everything I'd hoped it would be.
FABLES 131 - Digging the current status quo.
INVINCIBLE 104 - Marks was in some really f-ed up trouble last issue.
LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 22 - Almost over.
PROPHET 37 - Full disclosure. I'm actually an issue behind.
SONIC UNIVERSE 54 - World Collide penulitimate chapter. Its been a hell of a ride.
TRANSFORMERS REGENERATION-ONE 93 - Enjoying this current arc.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 33 - I have discovered a way to effectively back up all my iOS Digital WSJ issues locally. This is a great day. Also, this issue is the big 45th anniversy of Jump in Japan. Lots of fun stuff in this issue. including the launch of the new Akira Toriyama series Jaco, The Galactic Patrolman.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

sheldipez

And a few other, less important, pick-ups  :P

Link Prime

Only two again for me this week (apart from the Prog & Meg of course)-

Transformers Regeneration One 93 (heading towards the conclusion to the only 'real' Transformers comic continuity that ever mattered. A great read).
X-Factor 259 (nearing the end of PADs seminal run, with the Longshot / Shatterstar revelations nicely eclipsing Jeph Loeb's nausea inducing tripe from his run on 'X-Force' Vol 1. Back in da day, obviously).

Link Prime

Uber 3 was the most pleasant surprise I was on the verge of dropping this title, but Kieron Gillen's now contemporary writing gives us the best issue yet, art still sucks so still in danger

We are of one mind.

The Adventurer

I just learned that Regeneration-One is only planned to go to issue 100.

And that pisses me off. I love this book.

Hawkmumbler

Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #6- Missed the first 5, will get them in trade. But blimey, John Ridgway's still got it! And Frobisher to! Oh my, oh my indeed. :D

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 18 July, 2013, 07:18:16 PM
I just learned that Regeneration-One is only planned to go to issue 100.

And that pisses me off. I love this book.

Yeah, I'd known about that since the start (80.5), and to be honest wasn't too upset about it.
We know it will at least mean;

A) That any game-changing events or deaths are probably permanent (in this iteration of the comic series at least).
B) The same (superb) creative team can commit to the 21 issue run.

JamesC

Just caught up with the Valiant Harbinger Wars event running in Bloodshot, Harbinger and the limited Harbinger Wars mini.
Really good stuff - pisses on any Marvel or DC crossover I've read (mainly because there's a reason inherent in both stories that this conflict was going to be inevitable).

The Adventurer

MY DIGITAL PULLS FOR 07-24-13

2000 AD 1842 - General thrill levels are pretty strong across the board right now. I'm even enjoying DEFOE for once, which is a nice change of pace. Its a lot easier to enjoy when its not trying to juggle 50bazillion characters at once.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 34 - CROSS MANAGE ends, I'm not too sad to see it go, but for a Sports comic it was actually quite tolerable. Better then some of the other series running in here, NISEKOI: FALSE LOVE I am looking at you.

Good grief, only two books this week, and they're my weeklies! I'm sure I'll pay for it next week. There are some other books I should pick up, like the GAMMA one-shot from Dark Horse, reprinting a really really REALLY cool story from Dark Horse Presents, and UNWRITTEN 51, because of the Fables crossover. Though I've not yet got Unwritten 50 yet, nor am I familiar with the series enough to try it without waiting for a price drop. Which won't happen for another month because of DC's recent practice change. So instead I'll be using this week to play some catch up.

Hawkmumbler

Colin YNWA

Perverse as it is to say luckily I've got a comic to drop. At the moment my 'experiment' to diversify my comics reading is going a little too well and while stuff is still getting dropped and cancelled there's a lot of good stuff coming up. Hence the fact that 'Bounce' is just not cutting it is kinda a relief. Its far from a bad comic, its just not a great comic, in fact it doesn't diversify my reading from my DC days. Good superheroing that's trying to be different my having the main character be a slacker. Honestly its good, but could be from the big two. So alas Bounce 3 will be my last.

As for the rest, well they're better Lazarus 2 is very good. I worry about a couple of things and to a 2000ad reader its not astonishingly original but its is very good so will get past the first 3 issues which is my normal cut off point. FF 9 is as fun as ever. The Massive 14 is cranking things up but still atmospheric. Rocketeer and The Spirit 1 couldn't possibly have been as good as my excitment at the fact that it exists but is still a damned fine, fun comic.

Over at DC things are going very well in its now limited context. Wonder Woman 22 is a good comic, it troubles the New Gods fan in my a bit but change is difficult and the whole new WW thing worries the WW fan in me and I got over that and learnt to enjoy it as a comic so I'll move on! Animal Man 22 is very very good and I'm delighted to say that Jonah Hex 22 see the comic right back on top form after a few wonky months and a concept I'm not entirely comfortable with.

Very nice little stash all in all.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 23 July, 2013, 10:37:21 PM
Recent TBP purchases.

Hawkmonger, what do you think of Attack on Titan?