Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

QuoteTo be fair to DC, which I do less and less these days, they have tried loads of different things. I personally am a big fan of the Waid relaunch and the subsequent Shooter issues (if you ever want to read a bad last issue the mess they made of that when they aborted Shooters run about 7 issues early is a sight to behold, such a shame.

I totally agree with this. Though I feel Waid's run lost a lot of energy after its first arc. When it was Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes it was actually really really MEH.

But yeah, Jim Shooter was building up something really amazing (even if he was jetisoning some of Waid's better ideas. Like the whole Teens vs Adults core concept). The Princess Projecta subplot was building up to be something seriously cool, before everything just came crashing down.

And I still want to know what the deal was with Cos getting kidnapped by those mysterious figures claiming to be from the 40th Century. Another plotline that could have been EPIC (if they turned out to be nefarious figures). I'm surprised reversing the 'visitors from 1000 years in the future' concept from Superboy to the Legion itself has never been done before.

Oh Threeboot. You were too cool to live.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 20 August, 2013, 09:03:01 PM

But yeah, Jim Shooter was building up something really amazing (even if he was jetisoning some of Waid's better ideas. Like the whole Teens vs Adults core concept).

Yeah it was a shame this got pushed to the back. It was a great series.

Great overview of what he had planned over at Jim Shooter's much missed Blog (christ that was excellent blogging). If you click continue at the bottom it takes you to the next parts.

http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/05/legion-of-super-heroes-overview-part-1.html

The Adventurer

Wow. That would have been epic.

I like what he was going to do with Invisible Kid too!

Hawkmumbler

Well. I've made a choice lads and ladies. Im going digital. I've found I can appreciate digital art as much as physical.copies.so might as well save the pennies and have easier access to what I want. My tooth sub expires next month and ill be using the app to get the prog and meg from then on via sub. Im currently in Guernsey (hence the infrequent posta qnd shite grammer due to shite wifi and tiny screen) so can get a good tablet cheap. Adventurer, what would you reccomend and what apps.do you use and how.much are they?

The Adventurer

iPad is pretty much the best tablet for comics IMO (though, to be fair I haven't tried any android models). Its got the right screen size, access to the majority of apps, and its retina display makes comics really shine (or if the image files are low res, make it really really noticeable)

As for apps. ComiXology's Comics app is essential for new releases, Viz Media for Viz Manga, ComicZeal is the gold standard in CBR/CBZ/PDF comic reading, and Kindle for iPad for other miscellaneous comics.

Unfortunately I can only really be helpful when it comes to iPad.

PreacherCain

I bought a Samsung Nexus 10 a while back and it's absolutely amazing. Cheaper than the iPad, bigger screen (perfect for comics) and a higher resolution. I tend to use ComicRack, Comixology and individual comics companies apps for reading.

Personally I'm not a fan of 7" tablets. They're fine... but fine isn't good enough.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: PreacherCain on 22 August, 2013, 06:01:49 AM
I bought a Samsung Nexus 10 a while back and it's absolutely amazing. Cheaper than the iPad, bigger screen (perfect for comics) and a higher resolution. I tend to use ComicRack, Comixology and individual comics companies apps for reading.

Personally I'm not a fan of 7" tablets. They're fine... but fine isn't good enough.

Uh a good 10 incher has been just what I've been holding out for (uh er Matron)

Hawkmumbler

I was thinking a Kindle Fire HD. Anyone have anything on this?

The Adventurer

The bigger one is probably a good choice, I looked at the regular Kindle Fire when I was shopping for tablets and concluded its screen was too small for effective comic reading (which was my primary reason for buying a tablet). But never did get my hands on an 8.9" to compare. I suspect its probably large enough to be adequate.

Professor Bear

Avoid the Kindle, as my brief exposure to it revealed that a lot of its functionality seems to derive from an active internet connection, and if you don't have that, lots of the apps are useless - even the stuff that supposedly accesses material stored in the Kindle memory.
When it comes to tablets, you don't really need to zero in on the big name brands unless you're absolutely definately going to use it for things other than reading, as comics and books are just static images, but ideally you want a big screen, and you want it as sharp and responsive (for navigating larger pages) as possible.  If you can, bung some comics on a flash card, usb drive, and mini-SD and take them into the shop with you and see what tablet lets you see and move around the pages best.

Hawkmumbler

Colin YNWA

Small haul this week. Some rough and some smooth and one writer rules the roost.

Both Batman 23 and East of West 5 give me pause for thought with issues that don't inspire me that either story is going anywhere I'm particularly fussed by. Which is a bit weird in-particularly in the later case which really moved things forward, delved into stuff and should have been a great read. Mind since it took me 3 issues to get into this book I figure something else will click some point soon and it'll be fine and dandy.

Resident Alien  - Suicide Blonde 0 felt steady and pedestrian in such a pleasant way it was a welcome change from US comics current smart arsed, sharp TV dialogue and STEVE PARKHOUSE art. enjoyed this.

Animal Man 23 was great, Wonder Woman 23 superb but the star of the show is Si Spurrier. X-Men Legacy 15 was genius, Six Gun Gorilla 3 astonishing - he might be becoming my new favourite writer in US comics... if only he'd come back home!

sheldipez

I'm jumping off Batman now and reverting solely to trades; the next issue is a thicker and pricier £4 odd then the following is a £3 odd as it's got a glossier cover or some such. Struggling to keep weekly pulls down (ended up grabbing Daredevil 30 this week after rave reviews about it being one shot friendly like classic comics of old) so nice when a choice is made really easy.

dweezil2

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 August, 2013, 09:00:34 PM
Small haul this week. Some rough and some smooth and one writer rules the roost.

Both Batman 23 and East of West 5 give me pause for thought with issues that don't inspire me that either story is going anywhere I'm particularly fussed by. Which is a bit weird in-particularly in the later case which really moved things forward, delved into stuff and should have been a great read. Mind since it took me 3 issues to get into this book I figure something else will click some point soon and it'll be fine and dandy.

Resident Alien  - Suicide Blonde 0 felt steady and pedestrian in such a pleasant way it was a welcome change from US comics current smart arsed, sharp TV dialogue and STEVE PARKHOUSE art. enjoyed this.

Animal Man 23 was great, Wonder Woman 23 superb but the star of the show is Si Spurrier. X-Men Legacy 15 was genius, Six Gun Gorilla 3 astonishing - he might be becoming my new favourite writer in US comics... if only he'd come back home!

What an unexpected pleasure it is to have the return of Resident Alien so soon!

And #0 serves as a perfect introduction for those uninitiated!

Great stuff!    :D
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Link Prime

Quote from: sheldipez on 24 August, 2013, 09:21:11 PM
I'm jumping off Batman now and reverting solely to trades

Probably a very good idea Sheld, the Year Zero arc would likely read a lot better in trade format.
My OCD wont let me do it 3 issues into the arc though.

As an aside; the recent 'Batman Annual 2' is a turd, if you were thinkin of picking it up, don't bother.
Great Jock cover though.