Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: PreacherCain on 22 August, 2013, 06:01:49 AM
I bought a Samsung Nexus 10 a while back and it's absolutely amazing. Cheaper than the iPad, bigger screen (perfect for comics) and a higher resolution. I tend to use ComicRack, Comixology and individual comics companies apps for reading.

Back when I bought my Nexus 7* I briefly considered the Nexus 10 but mainly for portability reasons (and the cheaper price, albeit the Nexus 10 is EXCELLENT value for a table that size) I stuck with the 7 incher.

But guess what I use it mostly for? Okay I use it quite a bit for internet surfing, to be fair, but a large portion of the time I use it to read comics. Most of my comics, come to think of it. And it really does work very well. Lately I've found myself hankering a bit for the larger screen though. Cut down on some of that zooming in...

Still a fantastic bit of kit though. I'm glad I bought one.

*I was slightly shocked to find out recently that there's a new model out already! (I'd have thought they would change the number.) Not that I plan on upgrading yet as my current version does all I need a tablet of that size to do. It does seem a bit less responsive lately though, although that might be the software update. Or my imagination, but nothing that's a big issue.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: PreacherCain on 22 August, 2013, 06:01:49 AM
I bought a Samsung Nexus 10 a while back and it's absolutely amazing. Cheaper than the iPad, bigger screen (perfect for comics) and a higher resolution. I tend to use ComicRack, Comixology and individual comics companies apps for reading.

Personally I'm not a fan of 7" tablets. They're fine... but fine isn't good enough.

Done a bit of research and it seems on the 10.1 inch front its either the Google Nexus 10.1 or the Samsung Galaxy 10.1?

The Surface has a bigger screen but seems to have a number of other drawbacks at this stage (I wonder what comic reading apps there are for it?) and there's one called the Acer Iconia W510 which also runs Windows. Has anyone read comics on a Windows Tab?

Colin YNWA

Ignore me, a tiny bit of research made it clear that Comixlogy is available.

Hawkmumbler

Just a quick update while I have the time. Got an Ipad Retina 64GB after downloading the tooth sampler in a test copy in IQ store Guernsey and it just felt right! Thanks for the tips fellas.

PreacherCain

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 August, 2013, 08:31:48 AM

Done a bit of research and it seems on the 10.1 inch front its either the Google Nexus 10.1 or the Samsung Galaxy 10.1?

Are they not the same thing? Google and Samsung teamed up for the Nexus. I think it's manufactured by Nexus but sold by Google (or some kind of arrangment like that).

The updated version mentioned above is relatively minor; essentially an upgrade to a faster processor, I think. But it's something you'd only really notice the difference in if you're playing high-end games on it.

My friend has a Nexus 7" and it is indeed very nice. But the bigger screen is really something to behold. I've never had to zoom in on anything. I've actually compared a digital version of a comic with the physical copy and frankly, the digital one actually looks a bit better. The colours and brighter and much sharper.

In terms of apps, you can download or buy one called ComicRack from the Google Play store. That's what I use and it allows me to put files from my computer on to the Nexus (some Thrillbent comics being my most recent upload!)

Here are some images. Keep in mind that my camera phone doesn't quite capture just how good the resolution is on this thing!  :D

If you'd like I could try and record a quick video of how it looks.

The Adventurer

Actually that does look pretty nice.

EDIT: Oh and Hawkmonger, good job on getting a 64GB iPad. I got a 32GB one, thinking it would be addiquite storage for comics.

It ain't. (HD) Comic files are deceptively large, my ComiXology purchases nearly filled the the before I paired down on all my installed titles.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

MY PULLS FOR THE WEEK OF 8/28/13

2000 AD 1847 - Defoe ends, probably my favorite installment of the series. Mostly because its wasn't super confusing. Ten-Seconders gets an artist change from Bagwell to Willsher, which I'm not to sure I'm happy about. Don't get me wrong, Ben Willsher is a good artist and all, but I was really digging Bagwell channeling his inner Jack Kirby here.
THINK TANK 9 - Still the smartest comic out there.
TRANSFORMERS: REGENERATION-ONE 94 - With the end looming, you just know no one is safe. Which really adds to the tension of robots hitting each other.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 39 - Some how, even though its line-up has shrunk some in the last few months, this issue has jumped out ahead of the 200 page mark again. Double length One-Punch Man will always be appreciated!

Hawkmumbler

Erm, well...here's my digital pulls. There's a few freedies here that I got just to see how I like the look of the series.

2000AD Prog 1847- See relevent thread, but as a summery, good prog.
Weekly Shonen jump starter pack, 33 and 39- If only I knew how to buy other back issues besides 33, which I got for Jaco. Annoying how it's the same part as in the SP. Bugger. As for the rest, Bleach is still huge fun for me and i'm excited to see the conclusion begin soon. One Piece is fruity as ever. OnePunch-Man is de shitz! Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball. YuGiOh...eeehhh?...Now for the two titles that really surprised me. World Trigger and Nisekoi. The former is basicly Japans response to District 9, but it's not as smart but possibly even more fun. Lovely art to. The latter is a romcom WAY above the average of the genre, besting the dreadful Love Hina and AIlove you. Both are on my radar for collected editions.
Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #1- Simon Fraser draws The Animus and Zarbi in the London underground (always a favourite setting of mine) and Thomas Huxley being awsome. Love it.
Doctor Who v.1 Annual 2010 and The Forgotten #1- Meh. Just meh.
Transformers: All Hail Megatron #1 and Transformers Regeneration-One FCBD- Both of these got me extremely excited for both titles and will give some serious thought about investing in them in future.

I also have a number of Dark Horse freebies to read, so will report back then.

The Adventurer

WSJ 33 was the only back issue avalible to you Hawk?  Viz just rolled out back issues ( used to be only the latest week was avalible) you should be able to buy back issues going back 3 months now. Are you using the Viz Media app, or the dedicated WSJ magazine app?

The Adventurer

As for my feelings about WSJ's current line up...

One-Piece and Toriko have become personal sleeper hits with me. I wasn't familiar with either before I stated reading Jump in January. But I started to really enjoy both lately, enough to start buying up (digital) back volumes. I think I like Toriko a bit more for its general insanity. One-Piece can be really creative though.

Bleach and Naruto do nothing for me unfortunately. I find Naruto generally pretty confusing (the current battle has been going on since January and I still don't know who most characters are, or why they are fighting. Bleach is a bit better, but I find a lot of it needlessly convoluted.

One-Punch Man is easily my favorite (sorta) new comic of 2013. It's just so fun, and great to look at. The perfect melding of eastern and western super-heroes in an action/comedy stew.

I'm not quite as taken with World Trigger as you, it's okay but I find it generally kind of unexciting. Very samey to a whole bunch of these sorts of 'young people with super-powers' manga/animes. Art wise it is very nice. Speaking of nice art Yu Gi Oh Zexal some gorgeous artwork. Unfortunately it's wasted on the worst kind of long form toy commercial. Thank god it's only monthly.

Then there is Nisekoi: False Love. Which I personally loath. To me its just the most dull sort of romantic harem comedy. Like Ranma 1/2 without the interesting bits. Recently a sports series called Cross Manage about girls lacrosse got cancelled, I personally found it a lot more enjoyable as far as slice of life comedy manga goes. I kind of hate that Cross Manage couldn't make it, and Nisekoi is getting its own anime.

So yeah, like some certain other comic anthologies, I like some, hate others. But generally find great value in it.

Hawkmumbler

I knew you would hate Nisekoi. But for me it's head over heels better than any other Harem series i've read and is genuinly funny at time's. Horses for courses.

The Adventurer

MY DIGITAL PULLS FOR THE WEEK OF 09/04/13

2000 AD 1848 - Things seem to be in a bit of a holding pattern until the 1850 Jumping on Prog.
INVINCIBLE 105 - Last issue took a turn I wasn't quite expecting, and the revelation concerning Mark across the multiverse was quite a fascinating little twist.
INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE 6 - I find using the actual North Korea for the 'bad guy' in this arc is a little... weird.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 252 - The end of Worlds Collide, and some of the promotional material for this new arc, have got me worried about the future of Mobius and the non-game related Freedom Fighter characters. Since I find those aspects the most interesting part of the series, perhaps seeing the series shift to be more in line with the Video Games isn't that great of a prospect for me. But we'll see. Ian Flynn hasn't steered me wrong yet.
THE STAR WARS 1 - I'm quite a bit excited for this series. Just  because it presents the story of Star Wars in a very different Light. I expect plenty of 70s Sci-Fi movie conventions to be on showcase here.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 40 - The big inclusion this issue is One-Piece: Strong World. Which is an Episode 0 one-shot that shows a bunch of things from just before the series started. It was somewhat interesting, especially since I've started reading the series from the beginning I picked up on a few references. Unfortunately its less of a story, and more of a scrap book of 'where were they when...' moments. Still neat, but very dependent on knowing your One-Piece history.

Hawkmumbler

Still only on the two subscriptions, 2000AD and Shonen Jump.
The former feel's a bit stagnent at the moment with only Dredd and Ten Seconders making any real progress (Have started reading Warriors Dawn though, so you can all say that much has come out of Book of Scars).
The latter is fun as usual, having seen Strong World I wasn't aware of this chapter existance and I agree with TA very much on it as a scrapbook of who's who. Looking forward to Bleach's return, but whats shiffting for Blue Exorcist?

Hawkmumbler

Oh, and TA, sorry it took me awhile to notice your comment on back issues. I was only able to get the previous WSK 33 because it was advertised in the store section of my app as being the start of Jaco. When I downloaded the app it was listed on the app store as Weekly Shonen Jump, there is no Viz Media app available (though Viz are listed as the publishers in the description). I might be over looking something, or might have to download back issues of the website directly (I think you can download collections like that...).
And i'm starting to agree with you on False Love. I really enjoyed the first chapter, but it seems to have lost all it's charm by this point and the typical amnesia arc has really put me off it.

The Adventurer

Ooo ooo Antarctic Press just released on of my FAVORITE GNs of all time on ComiXology. Twilight X: After War. At $5 for nearly 600 pages, its a heck of a deal too!