Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 29 August, 2013, 10:06:00 PM
Transformers: All Hail Megatron #1 and Transformers Regeneration-One FCBD- Both of these got me extremely excited for both titles and will give some serious thought about investing in them in future.

Might I suggest that you also investigate IDW's current Transformers offerings, 'More Than Meets The Eye' and 'Robots In Disguise'?

'More Than Meets The Eye' is, quite possibly, one of THE best comics about right now. It has a very muscular plot structure, with sub-plots and character threads out the wazoo. It's also very, VERY funny.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Link Prime

Picked up a few in Dundrum this evening;

Trillium 2- Lemire has me hooked so far. Good book for a good price.
X-Factor 262- Its all over baby. Nice afterword by PAD. I'll miss this, but won't pick it up if its relaunched with another writer.
Transformers Regeneration One 94- making me feel like a 6 year old on a Saturday morning all over again.
Über 5- gruesome and unexpected turn of events. Read it in four minutes though.

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 05 September, 2013, 11:42:00 PM

X-Factor 262- Its all over baby. Nice afterword by PAD. I'll miss this, but won't pick it up if its relaunched with another writer.

I do wonder if it is in fact simply being relaunched with the same writer and title but a very different concept. If someone else is going to be writing it, PAD's certainly done some setting up for them, like the bit with Polaris a couple of issues back.

Colin YNWA

Well lets get to the safe wins before we discuss the more interesting stuff. Sex 6, The Victories 5, FF 11, X-Men Legacy 16 and Jonah Hex 23 were all winners. Great to see JH back on top form after a few wobbly issues.

Lazarus 3 sees the series continue to be not particularly original, but I'm finding it riveting. There's a certain flavour of a Roman political drama about it. Its made the issue 3 cut (I try to give everything I try 3 issues to give it a chance to bed in). Uber 5, I still wonder how this comic has lasted this long on my pull list, I hate the art, I dislike the Avatar-ness of it all yet when its on form as his issue is its mighty intriguing. Its won itself a second arc I think. Just.

Superior Foes of Spider-man 3 alas doesn't make the cut. Its a very good comic, alas its just not the comic I wanted it to be. I was hoping for Secret Six meets the Sopranos, what I get is more akin to a sassy smart, sharp US comedy (I actually can't quite think of an exact match, but you know the type, there's loads on Channel 4 and E4 normally). Not what I was after, as I say not that that makes it a bad book at all.

I wonder what Batman Incorporated Special was all about, it was a cute little special and maybe DC was just testing the water to see if they could carry on the concept post G-Moz, who knows. It was fun but felt absolutely unnecessary. Collid... I mean Federal Bureau of Physics 2 has almost made the cut already. This is a fun intriguing comic and one I'm really glad I jumped on board with.

Just like The Massive BUT with The Massive 15 we hit a really strange issue. I love this comic, regularly one of my favourites. This issue however was infuriating. I enjoyed it a heap until the very end when I sat there going huh, what...??? Re-read, re-checked, thought back, almost dug out the old issues to check through, sure I'd missed something, BUT no I don't think so. So went online to check reviews to see if it was just me being dense and it turns out it wasn't. See it sets out a bit of a mystery for issues ahead (I think, I don't think I'm meant to know exactly what happened yet) but does it in such an oblique way as to not be intriguing at all at first, rather just plan confusing. I suspect when we're done here we'll all look back and enjoy this issue as a bit of genius, the issue that turned things on their head a little. Right now it just left too much of a question mark. Shame as it was a great right up to that ending.

Still can't complain over all a fantastic haul. Even the book I'd ditching was pretty good!

The Adventurer

DIGITAL PULLS FOR THE WEEK OF 09/11/13

2000 AD 1849 - Everything wraps up for the big 1850 'Jumping on Prog!' Once again, if you've ever had even slightest interest in 2000 AD issue the Jumping on Progs are the place to do it!
ASTRO CITY 4 - Series as been seriously cooking with gas. I've very interested in this issue, as I've always had a fondness of super humans using their power publicly in mundane ways.
JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE 338 - The Megazine's line-up is one of its strongest in a while. Everything is good right now.
MANHATTAN PROJECTS 14 - You can never predict what this book is doing, or where it is going. Defies all conventions.
MARS ATTACKS JUDGE DREDD 1 - If folks have ever wanted to see Judge Dredd at its most wacky, I have a pretty good feeling that this mini-series will have wacky on showcase in spades.
PROPHET 39 - I think I've slowly started to lose the plot, even though people are still talking to each other, and there does seem to be an ongoing narrative now. Hopefully things will start to make a little more sense soon. Still some crazy sci-fi fun here.
RESIDENT ALIEN: SUICIDE BLONDE 1 - First Resident Alien series was really something different. I can't wait to see where the sequel goes.
STAR WARS 9 - Still pretty solid over all. Definitely the Star Wars I prefer, though I think it may have forgotten about all its new characters it introduced in issue 1 or 2.
WALKING DEAD 114 - Really starting to get invested in what's going on. Which is good.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 41 - Bleach is back, if that's your thing. Personally I can take it or leave it. But it is nice to have the page count back up again and stable. For a few more weeks anyway. Jaco is still the delight of the anthology, and One-Punch Man the heart.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

It's Number 1 or bust for me this week;

Mars Attacks Judge Dredd 1; Looks great. Anticipation levels 84%.
Locke & Key Alpha 1; The beginning of the end, twice the size. Anticipation levels 99%.
Sons of Anarchy 1; Cause I'm the type of 35 year old that wears a 'SAMCRO' T-shirt. Yeah.
Mighty Avengers 1; Lets see if Al Ewing can make me buy two monthly comics.
Eternal Warrior 1; A purchase based entirely on Trevor Hairsine.

sheldipez

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 September, 2013, 10:28:14 AM
Mighty Avengers 1; Lets see if Al Ewing can make me buy two monthly comics.

I'm half-tempted to pickup Mighty Avengers for it's inclusion of Superior Spidey but it'd be another $4 book on my ever expanding pull list oh and Greg Land on tracing art. Tempted...

Recrewt

I don't know why but I seem to be confused with this thread and 'what's everyone reading'.  Probably because they are similar so I starting writing about comics in that thread but this one makes more sense.  Anyway, I'm waffling - I don't tend to reserve comics at the LCS, just go there regular(ish) and rely on ebay for any shortfall.  This week I have bought/read:

Uber #0
OK, so for anyone who isn't aware of this - its set at the end of World War 2 where everything looks like it is over.  However, reports of German 'super-soldiers' start to come in......  This was actually released in March this year but I have got hold of some back issues and I am catching up.  What interested me with this was the story and after reading the first one I find myself in the unusual situation of not liking a single character I have been introduced to.  It looks promising though and rather than just creating a silly 'Nazi Supermen' strip it seems to be trying to be more than that. 

Forever Evil #1
I'm surprised to see that I'm the first person to comment on this here but I guess many folks are not impressed by another DC crossover event.  Apparantly the three justice league teams are dead and the Crime Syndicate comes from Earth-3 to take over the world and recruit all the villains to their army.  This was an interseting first part, nothing amazing happened but it just set up the story.  I have no doubt that this story will not deliver on the 'nothing will be the same' message that these events usually have but it is going to be interesting to see how all these villians will interract.   

sheldipez

Quote from: Recrewt on 12 September, 2013, 02:28:29 PM
I don't know why but I seem to be confused with this thread and 'what's everyone reading'.  Probably because they are similar so I starting writing about comics in that thread but this one makes more sense.  Anyway, I'm waffling - I don't tend to reserve comics at the LCS, just go there regular(ish) and rely on ebay for any shortfall.

I put an order in on the day I get paid so I constantly forget what I've got coming until it lands through my postbox!

I thought the first Uber was OK - wasn't keen on the art - imagine I'll pick up the trade if/when it drops (only trade announced thus far is an uber-expensive hardcover edition).

Recrewt

Quote from: sheldipez on 12 September, 2013, 02:31:01 PM
I thought the first Uber was OK - wasn't keen on the art - imagine I'll pick up the trade if/when it drops (only trade announced thus far is an uber-expensive hardcover edition).

Like what you did there sheldipez! ;)  Yeah, I have seen some comments on here about the artwork but it was not as bad as I was expecting.  If I can live with IDW's x-files then I can live with this. 

You're right about the TPBs, the normal one is not out until next year although FP are selling the enhanced HB for £17.41, which is a lot less than I thought it would be.  What puts me off this one is that its 176 pages of story and 160 pages of extras - thats a bit too much extra material for my liking!

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/uber-volume-1-enhanced-hardcover?

Hawkmumbler

Locke and Key recently caught my interest, and seeing how the first volume is currently £2.99 on comixology, I might splash out on something to read at the weekend.

Also, why is Mars Attacks Judge Dredd so expensive? £2.49 is a bit steep for a single issue.

sheldipez

Quote from: Recrewt on 12 September, 2013, 02:49:00 PM
Quote from: sheldipez on 12 September, 2013, 02:31:01 PM

Like what you did there sheldipez! ;)  Yeah, I have seen some comments on here about the artwork but it was not as bad as I was expecting.  If I can live with IDW's x-files then I can live with this. 

You're right about the TPBs, the normal one is not out until next year although FP are selling the enhanced HB for £17.41, which is a lot less than I thought it would be.  What puts me off this one is that its 176 pages of story and 160 pages of extras - thats a bit too much extra material for my liking!

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/uber-volume-1-enhanced-hardcover?

That's not a bad price actually - I'm sure the press release I read had it down as $50 or there abouts. Still more than I'd pay for Uber based purely on #0 but getting there..

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 12 September, 2013, 02:59:40 PM
Also, why is Mars Attacks Judge Dredd so expensive? £2.49 is a bit steep for a single issue.

So....not a regular fan of the weekly bargains American comics offer, eh Hawk?

The Adventurer

All IDW comics are inherently expensive. They're $4 here, which seems to be the same as £2.49 with currency conversion.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

sheldipez

IDW's physical versions are quite good value in comparison to the big two, they came on high grade paper stock and bung all the adverts at the back unlike the other $4 pamphlets with adverts for spider-man lunch boxes and PJ's (in a teen rated book too!) every couple pages.