Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Link Prime on 12 September, 2013, 09:24:56 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 12 September, 2013, 02:59:40 PM
Also, why is Mars Attacks Judge Dredd so expensive? £2.49 is a bit steep for a single issue.

So....not a regular fan of the weekly bargains American comics offer, eh Hawk?
Hay, £2.99 for Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft sounds a good deal! And Umbrella Academy is just £0.69 and issue (is this series any good BTW? Liked #0).

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 September, 2013, 08:09:12 AM
Also, why is Mars Attacks Judge Dredd so expensive? £2.49 is a bit steep for a single issue.

Hay, £2.99 for Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft sounds a good deal! And Umbrella Academy is just £0.69 and issue (is this series any good BTW? Liked #0).

'Same day as print' Digital comic new releases are the same price as the physical version for most American comics Hawk, although there is a price drop (of $1.00) after a certain period of time (off the top of my head; one month for Image, 2 months for DC, completely random for Marvel).

BTW; 'Locke & Key' is the best US comic currently being published IMO.
Never read 'Umbrella Academy', so can't comment.

Hawkmumbler

Well that's a promotion if ever I saw one. I'll download the Welcome to Lovecraft tonight as it's only £2.99 (would usually get a TPB physically but that's a good enough price for me to make an exception.)

Hawkmumbler

Weekly Digital Comic Book update 14/09/13

2000AD Prog 1849: Everything concludes. A virtualy Dredd-less Judge Dredd story has the ending I predicted a month ago, but thats not really a bad thing as Bender is prime Dredd villeinige to the bone and I lookforward to Wagner bringing him back. Age of Wolf is finished once and for all thank god, as does the rather meager celabration that was Slaine: Book of Scars. Still, one last outing for langley before handing it over to Simon Davis. Looking forward to that. And then The Ten Seconders....phwow.
Weekly Shonen Jump UK #41: Bleach is back! Hurray! My first ever comic book series enters it's final run as the evil Vandenreich set's to wipe out the soul reaper race. Elsewhere Jaco: The Galactic Patrolman continues to be the heart of the comic, while One-Punch Man is best ****ing thing since sliced bread. One Piece is wonderful as ever. World Trigger and Blue Exorcist are two fun albait slightly filler series. Toriko....exists. Dragon Ball Z is....****ing Dragon Ball Z. And all for 50p a week! Best ****ing bargain out there!
Cla$$war #2: HOLLY **** BALLS! A comic that uses a superhero, American setting...to show everything that is wrong with the American way of life and culture. It take's ball's to write something like that. And it takes balls of brass to make it THIS good.
Locke and Key: Volume 1. Welcome to Lovecraft: I'll post a full review tomorrow. Suffice to say though, best £2.99 of my life.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 15 September, 2013, 09:24:29 PM
Locke and Key: Volume 1. Welcome to Lovecraft: I'll post a full review tomorrow. Suffice to say though, best £2.99 of my life.

You ain't seen Nuthin yet!

The Adventurer

I picked Welcome to Lovecraft up in a ComiXology sale a few months ago. And while I thought it was good. I wasn't blown away by it. I'm not sure if it was something about the art (generally solid, but kind of a poorman's Humberto Ramos IMO) or I've just seen the 'Kids with a tragic past find themselves in a creepy magic house' trope one to many times.

I'll probably read the rest as they come up for ComiXology sale, but I'm not in a hurry.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 15 September, 2013, 10:08:04 PM
I'm not sure if it was something about the art (generally solid, but kind of a poorman's Humberto Ramos IMO)

As we all know, good comic art is in the eye of the beholder, but for my money Rodriguez has done a consistently stellar job on this book.
I literally couldn't imagine reading it without his expressive artwork and attention to detail.

Mabs

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 September, 2013, 08:09:12 AM

It says $4.99 at comiXology. Is that the same equivalent of £2.99? If so I might check it out too!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Link Prime

Quote from: Mabs on 16 September, 2013, 12:39:52 PM
It says $4.99 at comiXology. Is that the same equivalent of £2.99? If so I might check it out too!

Cheaper on Amazon Kindle Mabs;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Locke-Key-Welcome-Lovecraft-ebook/dp/B007KDHKZ8/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1379331675&sr=8-3

But I'd sooner pay the extra quid for the Comixology version.

Mabs

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 September, 2013, 12:43:13 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 16 September, 2013, 12:39:52 PM

Cheaper on Amazon Kindle Mabs;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Locke-Key-Welcome-Lovecraft-ebook/dp/B007KDHKZ8/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1379331675&sr=8-3

But I'd sooner pay the extra quid for the Comixology version.

Wow, thanks for the link, Link! I'll deinitely check it out. :-)

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

You wont regret it Mabs. It a stunning book.

Mabs

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 16 September, 2013, 04:06:15 PM
You wont regret it Mabs. It a stunning book.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it too! Thanks to you guys of course for bringing it to my attention! I'm still waiting for another ebook to download (these things are bloody slow, especially on my sodding network). The book in question is this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0081INNTI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1379346173&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

38p for the 1st volume! Anyone would be mad not to buy it!

Once this is done, then Locke & Key awaits!

Thanks! :-)

My Twitter @nexuswookie

The Adventurer

Digital Pulls for 09/18/13

2000 AD 1850 - Big jumping on Prog with 4 new stories. The one I'm looking forward to the most is the return of Brass Sun by Ian Edington and I.N.J. Culbard. The first book was big on crazy ideas, and gave us a strong female lead. Which is always nice. CLOCKWORK SOLAR SYSTEM!
FABLES 133 - Current story arc is shaping up to be quite interesting.
MEGA MAN 29 - Actually this came out digitally last week. And it was G E W D. GEWWWWWD!
SAVAGE DRAGON 191 - Two issues to the big softboot. SD is such an unpredictable book I have no idea what's going to happen.
SONIC UNIVERSE 56 - Good start to a new arc, everyone loves pirates.
TRANSFORMERS REGENERATION-ONE 0 - Hot Rod goes back in time. Yeah comics!
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 42 - Keeps on trucking. This installment of One-Punch Man was seriously badass. I shall demonstrate...

Hawkmumbler

I can't even begin to get my head around the art in One-Punch Man. It's seriously some of the most amazing art I've ever seen in a comic. Yusuke Murata is a genius.

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 09/15/13

2000 AD 1851 - The bronze age action series Aquila returns to join the new line up this week. I rather like Aquila from a pure action/violece stand point. But its also pretty well scripted with an interesting set up. I'm hoping this installment does a bit to build up Aquila's supporting cast though.
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 4 - Largely enjoying this series. The art could be a lot better, but the script really nails its 70s style flavor.
BUTTON MAN: GET HARRY EX TP - Collects John Wagner and Arthur Ranson amazing story about a Hit Man caught up in a game where men kill each other for sport. John Wagner is best known for being the creator of Judge Dredd. But Button Man is probably his greatest non-Dredd work.
EAST OF WEST 6 - I'm really digging this series. Its pacing is a bit odd, but its doing some really interesting world building.
JUDGE DREDD TRIFECTA HC - The greatest crossover of last year wasn't at Marvel or DC, but in the pages of 2000 AD. And nobody told us it was happening until it was happening. Judge Dredd, Judge Jack Point, and Judge Dirty Frank seemed to be on unrelated adventures in their own comics until suddenly, in one of the greatest comic twists in a long time, they weren't. This collects that amazing crossover.
SAGA 14 - Still one of my favorite titles of every given month. BKV really surprised me this time.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 43 - Jaco is almost over. I'll be sad to see it go. Meanwhile in One-Punch Man, MUMEN RIDER (the greatest pun character ever) makes his stand.