Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

Quote from: The Adventurer on 25 September, 2013, 12:32:51 AM
My Digital Pulls for 09/15/13

2000 AD 1851 - The bronze age action series Aquila returns to join the new line up this week. I rather like Aquila from a pure action/violece stand point. But its also pretty well scripted with an interesting set up. I'm hoping this installment does a bit to build up Aquila's supporting cast though.

The pedant in my has to point out that the Bronze Age ended in Europe about a thousand years before the time of Aquila, the Romans were an Iron Age society.

In other news both East of West and Saga continue to be the high point in my own comic purchases.  I also picked up issue one of Rat Queens a comedy fantasy series starring four feisty and sarcastic female adventurers who are as big a risk to the peace and security of their town as are the goblins and other monsters in the wilderness beyond.  Funny with hints of violence.

Hawkmumbler

Ooooh...Dark Horse had MPD-Psycho for £4 a volume....

Ill be posting my fortnightly digital pull when I get home from work. I hope.

Colin YNWA

Latest batch was quite the bundle of fun. Well Dredd Vs Mars Attacks 1 aside, which wasn't bad, but from the little I'd read I was expecting a little more from it, felt a bit pedestrian. Still it has potential.

Elsewhere the only thing close to a disappointment was X-Men Legacy 17, which while again far from a bad comic, just wasn't up the standard of this superb series. Mind Six Gun Gorilla 4 shows once again why Si Spurrier is possibly my favourite writer in American comics just at the moment. Once again this is probably the best thing I read this month. Not sure how this is doing but I wish it'd do well enough to convince everyone to make it an ongoing. Just brilliant.

The rest might not be quite to that standard but there's not a bad comic amongst them. While I really dislike these 3D motion comics the only two I picked up Batman 23.2 and Wonder Woman 23.2 both made my eyes fuzzy before getting to the good comics beneath. WW in particular didn't feel intrusive to the ongoing story line which I appreciate.

East of West 6, Sex 7, Fatale 17, FBP 3 are all quite fantastic. I'll make special mention if Resident Alien 1 which is very refreshing as well as brilliant, compared to the others mentioned which all feel like they tread similar ground... well feel like they could fit without a beat (if some compression) into 2000ad.

Finally we get to Planet of the Apes Giant 1, which wraps up Daryl Gregory's wonderful story set in the PotA universe well before the films. Its a great, suitable ending and I think it marks the end of Boom!'s wonderful Apes line. So sad to see it go as they've done just about all the comics so very very well. Still while I'm sad they are over I'm very happy that they've left us some 40 plus great comics better than any other re-visiting to this cinema classic that I've either seen or read. A bitter sweet farewell.

Comics right now are very, very god.

Hawkmumbler

One thing no one ever told me about going digital. Practice extreme self control...

WSJ continues to be top bargain at 50p a week for, well, Onepunch-Man, Jaco The Galactic Patrolman and Bleach are all hitting the spot at the moment and anyone of them is worth the cover price alone. One Piece was absent this week, unlike YuGiOh (shame) thank god its monthly. Toriko is really starting to get my interest, though the damn science lessons do get quite grating. World Trigger is a nice staple, as per, like a new pair of slippers that still have a few pinches to work out. And False Love....really am getting quite tired of it by this point. Replace it with the wonderful Bakuman or Gintama any day.

Darkstalkers #0 was a 10 page intro to Udons take on Capcoms video game series. Never played the games, but I'm a fan of the anime, and that was enough for me to give it a try. And it entertainingly light fluff, though the inner Jim Cambell in me has grown quite tired of big breasted maidens such as this. It was fun though, and thats all. It'll stay around for now.

All Crime Comics #1 was a wonderful homage to the classic crime thrillers of yestercentury. Easily my fave pick of the week and I'm looking forward to these immensely.

Cla$$War #3 continues the brilliance of its previous issues as I reach the half way point, while Hetalia Axis Powers is being dropped fortnightly to when ever I need a good laugh. Its good, but not two weekly material.

Godzilla IDW Ongoing vol. 1 was a great alternative universe take on the classic Toho monster mash. Enjoyed it immensely and got the next two volumes while they where cheap.

Mars Attacks the Transfomers (!) does what is says on the tin, and its fucking glorious. Matt Frank is the master of getting the usually expressionless Cybertronions to pull a menagerie of amazing facial features and his martians aren't bad either!

Recrewt

This week I have bought/read:

Uber #1
It's a strange thing to read a comic that has Hitler in it.  So, the events continue from Uber #0 and whilst it can seem unpleasant and in bad taste to read a comic based on WW2 - so far they have handled it well enough to avoid this.  Interesting to see how Mr H uses the new weapons he has and how some of his sub-ordinates react. 

X-Files: Season 10 #4
Now, I know that there is another boarder round here who is a fan of this series too.  This is the penultimate episode in the current story and if I'm honest - it has been the weakest one.  It seemed to bumble around a bit whereas the others had more purpose or introduced new characters.  Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how this wraps up in #5 and I would recommend it to anyone.  Definitely one of the best comics IDW are putting out at the moment. 

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Recrewt on 30 September, 2013, 06:09:16 PM
...and whilst it can seem unpleasant and in bad taste to read a comic based on WW2

So I'm guessing you didn't live in the UK in the 70s then (and probably decades before but I can only speak of the 70s)

Ancient Otter

and whilst it can seem unpleasant and in bad taste to read a comic based on WW2

If don't mind me asking, but why? Ddi you mean a superhero comic based on WW2?

sheldipez

Now, I know that there is another boarder round here who is a fan of this series too.  This is the penultimate episode in the current story and if I'm honest - it has been the weakest one.  It seemed to bumble around a bit whereas the others had more purpose or introduced new characters.  Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how this wraps up in #5 and I would recommend it to anyone.  Definitely one of the best comics IDW are putting out at the moment.

Definetly the weakest ish so far - it's leading up to something so when taken out as a stand alone comic it didn't really do anything i.e. didn't feel like it had a proper beginning or end. Still cracking read. I've read the comics a few times now and will read #1 through #4 again when #5 drops.

I picked up Uber #0 and was put off by the art - but it really sounds like something I should like so I've since been picking the rest up cheap via snipe bids on ebay so I've got a stack of Uber to read through. I know what you mean with the Hitler / World War 2 thing - there's been ton of Nazi spoof movies (like the recent one where the Nazi's have been hiding on the moon) but it's a weird mix when it's trying to be serious about the subject matter with really cartoony art (IMO), super powered soldiers so it risks walking the line at being a bit exploitative, and threatens to be a guilty read.

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for the Week for 10/02/13

2000 AD 1852 - Current line-up is pretty strong. Unfortunately, for a 'jumping on Prog' everything launched in 1850 and 1851 were sequels to something else. So its bit of a hard sell to brand new readers. Hopefully the year-end 100-page jumping on Prog will do a better job at ground flooring it. But for a long time fan, things are looking good right now.
FAIREST 20 - A recent sale on Fables back issues got me caught up on Fairest after months of losing interest. The problem is, this series is not as good as Fables. Heck its not as good as Jack of Fables was either. So I've been disinclined to pay full price for each issue. And DC changed their price drop polices. And then other stuff got in the way. At any rate, I'm mostly caught up, though I'm still 3 issues behind I guess. But I'm marginally more interested in staying current now. We'll see.
INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE 7 - Every issue of this is pure super-hero magic.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 253 - I'm curious as to the impact of reality being tweaked by Eggman is leading too. As I came into Sonic a bit late in the game, some of the ramifications of the changes are a little lost on me. But I'm still enjoying this series, a lot.
THE STAR WARS 2 - The first issue of this has really captured my imagination. Its so different, yet so familiar to the Star Wars we know.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 44 - Jaco the Galactic Patrol Man ends in spectacular fashion, tying itself to another Akira Toriyama title. I'm not sure if it comes across as a little gratuitous, but it was kind of fun. Jaco has been overall a really fun series. Short and too the point, going for comedy over action. Its definitely been the sort of Toriyama story I prefer, over his more action heavy pieces of the past. The end of the issue teases a new mystery series starting up next week. So the Jaco's slot won't be vacant. So that's cool. I can't wait to see what it is!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Three intriguing reads for me this week;

Uber 6 (Yeah... the art. Still a good read though).
Hinterkind 1 (looks very promising).
Savage Wolverine 9 (there are very few comics I'd pick up on the creators name alone. This is one of them).

Recrewt

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 September, 2013, 07:11:57 PM
...and whilst it can seem unpleasant and in bad taste to read a comic based on WW2

So I'm guessing you didn't live in the UK in the 70s then (and probably decades before but I can only speak of the 70s)

Well, I do remember comics like Commando and such that were around in the 80s.  Back then, WW2 was still fresh in the memory and influenced a lot of pop-culture.  I'm not knocking those kind of comics, but time moved on and they eventually died out and I think that was a good thing. 

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 30 September, 2013, 07:26:09 PM
and whilst it can seem unpleasant and in bad taste to read a comic based on WW2

If don't mind me asking, but why? Ddi you mean a superhero comic based on WW2?

Now, I don't want to come over all preachy but some horrific stuff went on in WW2.  So, reading a comic book with its cartoony art and such can seem like a laugh but this is based on real-life events which cost millions their lives.  It just needs to be careful not to be cheap exploitative crap that doesn't respect what it is based on.  For now, Uber does and that's why I'm still reading it. 

Recrewt

Quote from: sheldipez on 30 September, 2013, 08:25:31 PM

Definetly the weakest ish so far - it's leading up to something so when taken out as a stand alone comic it didn't really do anything i.e. didn't feel like it had a proper beginning or end. Still cracking read. I've read the comics a few times now and will read #1 through #4 again when #5 drops.

Yeah, I must admit - I'm starting to lose track of things as the months go by.  I think I will also do a re-read of them all when #5 comes out.  I actually quite like the artwork now and thought some of the snowy scenes looked particularly good in the latest issue.  But, I'm starting to find it difficult to distinguish between the good/bad 'other' guys.

I'm also starting to wonder if I might be better trade-waiting so I can read a whole story in one go.  Mind you, that would take a Zen-like level of patience which I don't think I have!

sheldipez

Quote from: Recrewt on 01 October, 2013, 11:41:23 AM
Quote from: sheldipez on 30 September, 2013, 08:25:31 PM

Yeah, I must admit - I'm starting to lose track of things as the months go by.  I think I will also do a re-read of them all when #5 comes out.  I actually quite like the artwork now and thought some of the snowy scenes looked particularly good in the latest issue.  But, I'm starting to find it difficult to distinguish between the good/bad 'other' guys.

I'm also starting to wonder if I might be better trade-waiting so I can read a whole story in one go.  Mind you, that would take a Zen-like level of patience which I don't think I have!

I'm finding it a struggle to wait until next month for X Files never mind every six months! It's IDW too - their trades rarely are cheaper than buying the seperate floppies.

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 October, 2013, 11:03:51 AM
Savage Wolverine 9 (there are very few comics I'd pick up on the creators name alone. This is one of them).

Is this the Jock arc - both drawn by and written by? Very promising.

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 01 October, 2013, 04:58:05 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 01 October, 2013, 11:03:51 AM

Is this the Jock arc - both drawn by and written by? Very promising.

That's the one Greg.
Have it on hold in my LCS, for pick-up tomorrow.

Anyone read it yet?