Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 10-16-13

2000 AD 1854 - I'm really not sure what Damnation Station is trying to do for its finale (or at least I assume this is its finale). Seems to lack focus for something trying to come to some kind of conclusion.
FABLES 134 - I won't lie. I'm not totally stoked that Bigby has been taken off the table in terms of his presence in the book. I suppose it does speak to Fable's ability to take risks, which is definitely in its favor. But damn it, I LOVE Bigby!
INVINCIBLE 106 - End of last issue was quite poignant, current status quo is definitely got my interest.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 46 - Seraph of the End continues to set off warning bells for me, as we're not 2 chapters into this post-super virus/vampire takeover nightmare world and our main character is IN A CONTEMPORARY HIGH SCHOOL CLASSROOM. ARRRRRRRG. With World Trigger and Blue Exorcist in the same anthology it just bother's me so much that these cliches are so pervasive in the comic culture of Japan, to the detriment of their setting/story. Teenagers involved in paramilitary organizations that must attended some kind of civilian high school has bothered me since I first tried to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion 15 years ago. Its just so... dumb, and shoehorned.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Adventurer on 15 October, 2013, 11:55:43 AM
My Digital Pulls for 10-16-13

WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 46 - Seraph of the End continues to set off warning bells for me, as we're not 2 chapters into this post-super virus/vampire takeover nightmare world and our main character is IN A CONTEMPORARY HIGH SCHOOL CLASSROOM. ARRRRRRRG. With World Trigger and Blue Exorcist in the same anthology it just bother's me so much that these cliches are so pervasive in the comic culture of Japan, to the detriment of their setting/story. Teenagers involved in paramilitary organizations that must attended some kind of civilian high school has bothered me since I first tried to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion 15 years ago. Its just so... dumb, and shoehorned.

Any manga I read with kids/teenagers in a school, there is usually a attack on the school when the characters are in class - odds on this happening in Seraph in the End?

The Adventurer

Already happened by the end of chapter 2.

HOPEFULLY, this means that its moving on into its actual status quo.

sheldipez

Wow, I see Extinction Parade #3 finally drops this week, feels like it was a long gap since #2. Anyone following this? <tumbleweed>

Link Prime

Quote from: sheldipez on 15 October, 2013, 12:43:07 PM
Wow, I see Extinction Parade #3 finally drops this week, feels like it was a long gap since #2. Anyone following this? <tumbleweed>

Nah.
Any good?

sheldipez

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 October, 2013, 01:05:18 PM
Quote from: sheldipez on 15 October, 2013, 12:43:07 PM

Nah.
Any good?

I'm warming to it more than the Extinction Parade prose story, I think that comics is a good fit for the story (the mass descruction is definetly warrants comics' "show than tell" - and the flying vampires look kinda cool) but like the other Avatar comic I've read (Uber) the art isn't really doing it for me. The double page spreads are stunning but the panel stuff is all a bit meh, stuck between not quite cartoony and not anywhere near realistic. I like Brooks so will ride this through to end. Feel like I'm being rough on Avatar stuff, some cracking writing talent over there but not seeing the art to match.

oh X Files #5 and Monsterology #1 is out this week too...

Hawkmumbler

Mars Attacks Judge Dredd #2 carries on in fine form. Frankly its not the sharpest tool in the box. But it has the biggest heart.

Cla$$War #5 is the penultimate issue! Sob! This has been an amazing comic to read and I'm so glad to have given up the £6 it cost me. Is every Super hero comic was this good id be a much poorer man.

Rocket Girl #1 promising new start from the new Image title. What premise and some fun satire of the very issue TA has with Teenagers and school in manga and comics. Amy Reeder is news to me but her art is utterly sumptuous! Get her in the prog Tharg!

Weekly Shonen jump #46. Two things i want to talk about. One, Cross Menage is coming back. Im extremely happy about this, but I could have sworn TA said it got canceled due to lack of popularity. Two, I believe we've seen the last of the High School Setting in SotE. It all felt very rushed, and even a Bit comical in comparison to the typical setting. Perhaps the creative team wanted it, but the editorial though it would clash with Blu Exorcist and it was scraped except for the early scenes. Maybe, and hopefully we've seen the end of it. It's no Shojo Kakumei Utena thats for sure, and frankly thats the only High School set series I can stand without it being criticized.

The Adventurer

Cross Manage is still cancelled, next week is just a one-off story. I don't think that's atypical for cancelled series, but don't quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

Bugger me! Are you sure it got canceled or did it reach it's conclusion? It is only 4 volumes long, I cant check myself as back issues are only available to US/ Canadian customers and now TPB's exist yet. Still, a one shot chapter is better than nothing.

The Adventurer

Definitely cancelled. Due to low popularity. If you fill out the weekly reader survey you'll get an idea of how Japan WSJ determines strip popularity. Those reader poll rankings matter (in Japan, in our version of Jump it more helps Viz determine what to collect in print in English regions) and Cross Manage apparently polled quite poorly after it's launch.

Hawkmumbler

And yet Nisokoi and Yu-gi-oh have percivierd for a whole damn year?  ::)

The Adventurer

Yu-Gi-Oh rides high on the card game, it aint going anywhere.

Nisokoi is getting an anime, so it must be polling pretty high in Japan.

Hawkmumbler

Its a sad day when merchandising comes before quality script writing.

The Adventurer

Straight up honest, for what it is, Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal isn't THAT bad. I mean, I have no interest in it, but I do speed read it (never waste a comic, I say) and at least I get the gist of its story and it's core conceits. And the artwork is at least nice.

Unlike, say, Naruto...

Hawkmumbler

I can bare Narutomfor what it is. Kishimoto has a good grasp on human design and textures but everything looks very blurred and hard to read. And he cant write for shit. I just skim read it weekly and get the gist. Cant give Zexal the time of day though and is the only thing I outright skip.