Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recrewt

Quote from: Link Prime on 27 November, 2013, 02:26:13 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 27 November, 2013, 11:18:54 AM

BLACK SCIENCE 1 - Rick Remender is a writer that historically I've had trouble getting into in the past. I tried Fear Agent, but it didn't click. I'm hoping this time will be better?

I'm gonna try this as my pull-list has had two recent causalities ('Three' & 'Uber').
Sorry Kieron choke

So what was the straw that broke the Uber camels back LP? 

And what is this Black Science title all about? Let's have some descriptions of these titles as well please folks.

Colin YNWA

Only a small haul this time but pretty good all the same. Pretty Deadly 2 is pretty good BUT the art could have better storytelling. I'm not 100% sold on this yet but its got next month and we'll see how it does. Animal Man 25 is good not great, at times I've loved this series, really loved it, but this issue makes me wonder is it going to offer anything new going forward? We'll see. Wonder Woman 25 has a moment that pulled me out for its none being Diananess. Daft to let that upset me but it did. Still its a fun series.

The rest are all winners Jonah Hex 25 continues to defy my expectating by making the Jonah in the 'modern' world thing work. Marvel is on fine form as both FF 14 and X-Men Legacy 20 both head towards their respective conclusions by bringing some thing together very nicely. The Massive 17 is probably the pick of the bunch however showing quite wonderfully how far Callum Israel seems to be sinking with the world around him. Brilliant stuff.

Mardroid

I've been continuing to get 3 New 52 titles (namely Swamp Thing, Animal Man and All Star Western. By the way I've noticed two of those are more horror than superhero based. Actually he third isn't really a superhero comic at all although they appear in it frequently) .

I've been waiting for them to drop the price before buying. This originally meant I was a month behind. Then they changed the time window to two months. Thing is, they're taking their sweet time in dropping the price this month, both this and last month's comics shown at full price. I wonder if they've dropped the discount entirely.

The Adventurer

QuoteAnd what is this Black Science title all about? Let's have some descriptions of these titles as well please folks.

I wasn't actually sure when I bought it, but it turns out its something like a cross between Sliders and Prophet. Like a dark/horror Lost in Space. It's kind of cool, if a bit heavy on narration.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Quote from: Recrewt on 27 November, 2013, 03:20:06 PM

And what is this Black Science title all about? Let's have some descriptions of these titles as well please folks.

Ah, I dunno.
I had a wake-up call type moment a couple weeks ago when my pull list pick-ups totaled 85 Euro at the till. I was carting a tonne of comics around Dundrum, looking at all the other stuff I could be / should be buying, and the cost of this habit kinda annoyed me.
Some ruthless chops were instantly made; Uber had to go due to the fact I really don't like the artwork and the interlude set in the pacific didn't grab me either.

Some other culls;
Hinterkind- dropped after one issue. I may get the trades / digital sale if reviews continue to be positive.
Three- only made it to issue two.
Black Science- Good first issue, but not quite good enough. Again, one to watch out for in trade format in the future perhaps.

Some future releases that I had planned to get have also been dropped; The Maxx Maxximized & Origin II are officially off the radar.

Bah.

Colin YNWA

Ouch that gotta hurt Prime Link. I've done a lot of culling over the last couple of years, though mainly to allow me to diversify rather than reduce my buying. I try to stick to 20 titles a moment on average and I'm comfortable with that number on both counts, cost and it means I don't drop titles I'm enjoying.

Three of your cuts are on my list. I'm enjoying Three, giving Hinterkind to issue 3 though I have to say its likely to make the cut and really looking forward to Maxx having read so many good things about it.

Recrewt

Quote from: The Adventurer on 02 December, 2013, 01:22:01 AM
QuoteAnd what is this Black Science title all about? Let's have some descriptions of these titles as well please folks.

I wasn't actually sure when I bought it, but it turns out its something like a cross between Sliders and Prophet. Like a dark/horror Lost in Space. It's kind of cool, if a bit heavy on narration.

Thanks Adventurer - I will keep an eye out for it.

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 December, 2013, 12:24:46 PM
Quote from: Recrewt on 27 November, 2013, 03:20:06 PM

Ah, I dunno.
I had a wake-up call type moment a couple weeks ago when my pull list pick-ups totaled 85 Euro at the till. I was carting a tonne of comics around Dundrum, looking at all the other stuff I could be / should be buying, and the cost of this habit kinda annoyed me.
Some ruthless chops were instantly made; Uber had to go due to the fact I really don't like the artwork and the interlude set in the pacific didn't grab me either.

Ouch indeed LP.  It's easy to get carried away with so many tempting titles out there.  Sounds like a cull was indeed in order.  I do like Uber (although I'm still a bit behind and not at the pacific part yet) but this has become a trade-wait title for me.   

Link Prime

It is indeed quite easy to get carried away, and those 4 Euros per floppy don't be long adding up.

I'm all for a bit of diversity in my comic reading, but the new rule is; you gotta knock my socks off to get a place on the pull list.
Anything on it that lags for 2 issues in a row will be dropped like a hot snot.
(* 2000AD will never be dropped)

My revised list is now officailly;

2000AD
Judge Dredd Megazine
Locke & Key (one issue to go)
Transformers Regeneration One (5 issues to go)
The Wake (4 issues to go)
Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland (6 issues to go)
Mars Attacks Judge Dredd (1 issue to go)
The Sandman Overture (5 issues to go)
Batman (Snyder & Capullo keep me coming back for more)
Saga
Afterlife with Archie (I'm having a surprise love affair with this comic)
Superior Spider-Man (a real money grabber at two issues per month, but it continually surprises and comforts me in equal measure- I haven't enjoyed contemporary mainstream super-heroics like this since I was a teen)
Prophet (via digital one month after print)

Upcoming dead certs:
The Unwritten: Apocalypse (12 issues)
Judge Dredd: City of Courts (5 issues)

I will try:
All New X-Factor- for PAD
X-Force (Vol IV)- for Spurrier
IDW Rogue Trooper
IDW Judge Anderson (TBC)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 December, 2013, 02:35:13 PM

X-Force (Vol IV)- for Spurrier

Yeah but can even Si Spurrier make me pick up this book. I love love love Si Spurrier at the moment so the answer is almost certainly yes BUT don't like what I've seen of the art, don't like the characters involved particularly... can Mr Spurrier pull this one off?

Hawkmumbler

My current pull list is....

2000AD (Digital)
Judge Dredd Megazine (Paperback)
Mars Attacks Judge Dredd (1 issue left)
Samurai Jack
All Crime Comics

Im still thinking over dropping Grindhouse and Rocket Girl.

The Adventurer

We comparing pull lists now? I can play that ga...

DARK HORSE
Catalyst Comics
Shaolin Cowboy
Star Wars
The Star Wars *

DC COMICS
Astro City
Fables (Ends in 2015)
Fairest

IDW
Transformers: Regeneration-One (Ends in 2014)
Samurai Jack

IMAGE COMICS
Black Science
East of West
Invincible
Invincible Universe
The Manhattan Projects
Prophet
Rocket Girl
Saga
Savage Dragon
Think Tank
The Walking Dead

OTHER PUBLISHERS
2000AD
Judge Dredd Megazine
Mega Man
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic Universe
Battlestar Galactica
Battlestar Galactica: Starbuck *
Dept. of Monsterology *
The Private Eye
Weekly Shonen Jump

(*) = Mini-series

... holy fuck! No wonder I have no god damn money! I gotta take an Axe to this shit. This is unsustainable.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

sheldipez

I've been doing a helluva lot of cutting too (and clearing stuff out onto ebay), switching to trades for some, flat out dropping others. It's been theraputic.

DARK HORSE
Star Wars

DC
Injustice: Gods Among Us

IDW
The X Files Season 10

Cyber Force

MARVEL
Superior Spider-Man
Superior Spider-Man Team-up
The Incredible Hulks (UK)

OTHER PUBS
2000AD
Cryptozoic Man
Coffin Hill
Dredd Megazine
Dept. of Monsterology
Extinction Parade
Hinterkind

IronGraham

I get:

Astro City
Batmun
Chew
The Goon
Invincible
Saga
Weekly Shonen Jump
2000 AD & Megazine (sub)
The Wake

(uk reprints)

Astonishing Spider-man
Wolverine & Deadpool
Mighty World of Marvel
Avengers Assemble
Marvel Legends
Incredible Hulks
Essential X-Men
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Colin YNWA

Can't remember when we did this last but suspect mine has changed a lot since then.

DC

ANIMAL MAN
BATMAN
WONDER WOMAN
ALL-STAR WESTERN

Marvel

FF (Marvel) ending with 15 I think
X-MEN Legacy ending with 24

Indie

MUD MAN (Image) - well if it ever comes out - we're promised more in 2014... but that was said last year
FATALE (Image)
THE MASSIVE (Dark Horse)
NOWHERE MEN (Image)
SEX (Image)
FBP FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS
EAST OF WEST (Image)
THE VICTORIES
LAZARUS
HINTERKIND - still on trial
PRETTY DEADLY - still on trial
ROCKET GIRL - still on trial
THE MAXX - still on trial

ROCKETEER - mini's (Boom) - not sure whats next as The Spirit one finishes next month?
SIX GUN GORILLA - ending this month
RESIDENT ALIEN - whenever a new one appears
THREE - 2 issues into a five issue mini

I get some other mini's like some of the IDW Dredd stuff. Basically though there's a lot listed there it tops out at about 20 a month with varying regularity of a number if the titles.

Hawkmumbler

Add Weekly Shonen Jump and Monthly Yen+ to my list.