Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

OK so Sabo is alive in One Piece. No one saw that coming. ::) nice he decided to bring Koala back though and give her back story with Robin.

IronGraham

This was almost a perfect issue pf jump if Sereph wasn't there would of been
We're werewolves not swearwolves

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 12/18/13

DEPT. OF MONSTEROLOGY 3 - I may have accidentally forgot to get issue 2. I'll correct this soon.
EAST OF WEST 8 - I still dig this series. But I'm not sure if I dig it enough to keep it off the chopping block. I'm going to give it few more issues.
SAGA 17 - This book however is still amazing.
TRANSFORMERS: REGENERATION-ONE 97 - Four more issues of awesome. :(
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 3 - One-Punch Man two weeks in a row?! Yes Please. I personally don't hate Serph as much as some. One Piece twist is totally lost on me. Why is it so hard for Manga creators to, I don't know, make things new reader friendly sometimes? I'm trying to find a good place to jump on rather then read the whole series from the beginning (69 volumes?! ack!) and I'm being told that NOPE not even the time jump at the start of New World arc is a good place to just pick up. Go back to start, do not collect 200 berries. sigh.

Ended up making some pretty deep pulllist cuts starting this month. BLACK SCIENCE, MARS ATTACKS JUDGE DREDD, and SAMURAI JACK this week.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

How pish was The Sky King?! It took the hero's a dozen chapters to kill off The Deep Sea King, now The New Flesh from Videodrome turns up and wipes out TSK. OPM is quite unconventional. :lol:

The Adventurer

I like how One Punch-Man manages to lampoon not only American style super heroes, but Japanese conventions as well. Like 'Rank'. In World Trigger (and many MANY other manga) it's a way to show character progress and the characters and plot take it seriously. But in OPM, it's just pure bullshit. 

Now we've got absurd levels of power creep ala Dragon Ball Z and it's imitators.

I love it.

Hawkmumbler

I think my favourite aspect is yet to come, I've been reading ahead via the web comic from One himself. You'll know when it happens, but it's hilarious.

Hawkmumbler

Weekly Shonen Jump #4/#5 - The final six contestants for the manga entry competition are up. Only read Sweat Boy so far. Marginally entertaining. No festive One Punch-Man makes me sad though. It's the perfect story for that. Bleach was pretty messed up this week as well.

Samurai Jack #3 - Consistently fun and entertaining and a joy to read. Really needs to set up more plot threads though and soon.

Doctor Who winter annual 2013 - IDW end their run on the licensed series with probably the greatest of their output. Second best Who comic of the year after Hunters of the Burning Stone.

Robotech / Ultron #1 - Keeping expectations modest about this though really hoping it surprises me.

Dropped The Maxx Maxximised, Grindhouse, and Rocket Girl this month. Bring on Revolutionary War and Rogue Trooper in 2014.

The Adventurer

Oh man I don't have any context for the Soul Reaper characters in Bleach. But that was a really entertaining fight scene this issue and last.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 25 December, 2013, 02:19:01 PM
Dropped The Maxx Maxximised, Grindhouse, and Rocket Girl this month...

I've a drop this month but its not The Maxx. Really enjoyed the first couple of issues, or more accurately was intrigued enough to defo come back for more. Its pretty rough around the edges but very very interesting and different. My drop is Pretty Deadly. Its too much effort but without any real hook, intrigue or characters to pull me back to to find out what the heck is going on.

A couple more teeter on the edge. East of West 8 has solidified some concerns I have with the comic. Its a very good comic, full of ideas and scope. Its problem however is its all so BIG. Death rides, leaders of the world plot but who grounds it? No one and that's a real problem. I'm really starting to wonder about this one. Batman 26... hmm has Snyder got anything new to give. I hope so as this far into the run I'd prefer not to have to bail... but. Elsewhere a couple of disappointing mini's finish, very much less than the sum of their respective parts, with issue 4 of both Mars Attacks vs Judge Dredd and Rocketeer and The Spirit. Animal Man 26 takes a curious tangent, one that doesn't feel necessary or welcome. Still with 3 issues to go this one has me to the end.

Hinterkind 3 comfortably pulls the series through my typical 3 issue trial into an ongoing. Elsewhere all is well with The Victories 7, FBP 6, Lazarus 5, Three 3, Sex 9, Wonder Woman 26, FF 15, The Massive 18. As ever though Si Spurrier wins the day with a nice X-Men Legacy 21 and a frankly sublime ending in Six Gun Gorilla 6, one of the best mini's I've read for an age.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 December, 2013, 10:07:50 PM
Batman 26... hmm has Snyder got anything new to give. I hope so as this far into the run I'd prefer not to have to bail... but.

There's a lot to enjoy about this run, but I'll admit I'm growing slightly weary with 'Zero Year'.

Hawkmumbler

Well 2000AD is sublime, so I wont need to cover that.

But WSJ? I nearly smashed my Ipad on the ground when i saw this weeks Nisokoi. You had me for 5 chapters dude! Don't do this to me!

Oh, and Seraph was cool this week. So thats and improvements. Skipping Naruto all together now.

The Adventurer

*phew missed a few weeks*

My Digital Pulls for 1/8/14

2000 AD 1863 - Pretty solid line-up here at the start of the new year!
INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE 9 - Perhaps one of the best super-hero series on the stands right now.
STAR WARS 13 - The first twelve issues of this series were some of the finest Space Opera comics of 2013. Good job Brian Woods, good job.
THE WALKING DEAD 119 - My brief interest revival in Walking Dead seems to be waning again.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 6/7 - Fat issue with everything except Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal (oh no, what a loss...). But we get double Nisokoi too. So... at least we've got One-Piece, Toriko, Blue Exorcist, Seraphp of The End, One-Punch Man, and hell... even Bleach is entertaining right now! Good stuff.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP - OBATA SPECIAL - With WSJ off again next week they're apparently using the launch of All You Need is Kill to fill the gap instead. Which is kind of nice. I'm really stoked about this series. Need me some serious sci-fi manga.

Link Prime

Three purchases for me tomorrow;

Afterlife With Archie 3; why comic fans arent screaming from rooftops about how good this is I don't know. Trust me people- its worth a shot.
Detective Comics 27; havent read an issue of Detective since pre-Nu 52. Could be an overpriced vapid whale, could be a brilliant celebration of the Dark Knight by top creators. We'll see...
All New X-Factor 1; PAD is back! An all new team and direction, looks very intersting. Plus, only 2 Euro in my LCS. I cannot resist.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 January, 2014, 09:37:13 AM
Detective Comics 27; havent read an issue of Detective since pre-Nu 52. Could be an overpriced vapid whale, could be a brilliant celebration of the Dark Knight by top creators. We'll see...

So is this the place to discuss that Frank Miller cover... or is that a can of worms (or cat food) best left unopened?

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 January, 2014, 10:18:46 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 07 January, 2014, 09:37:13 AM

So is this the place to discuss that Frank Miller cover... or is that a can of worms (or cat food) best left unopened?

What, you mean this one?
It's the cover I ordered- I think it's pretty good actually.

If this is the kind of image that courts 'controversy' we all really need to get out more.