Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 January, 2014, 10:26:31 AM
If this is the kind of image that courts 'controversy' we all really need to get out more.

We hang around here, of course we bloody do!

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 January, 2014, 10:28:05 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 07 January, 2014, 10:26:31 AM
If this is the kind of image that courts 'controversy' we all really need to get out more.

We hang around here, of course we bloody do!

Touche

Hawkmumbler

The Adventurer

Wow Hawkmonger, you weren't kidding about Nisokoi being all kinds of creepy garbage this week. Fanservice, the last refuge of a mediocre product.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Fan service really discourages me into telling people I read manga, many seem to stereotype (not entirely unduely) that younger readers are only in it for the tits. I am not. I despise fan service. It reduces a readership to the lowest common denominator and panders to the most undesirable demography.

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 01/15/14

2000 AD 1864 - Current line up is okay. Dredd is shaping up to be amazing, Strontium Dog is going to the darkest places of war, and Grey Area has the makings of a good short action thriller. But ABC Warriors is bogged down the past again (instead of looking to the future) and Usysess Sweet manages to make 'craziness' seem almost predictable.
ASTRO CITY 8 - Current arc is full of twists and turns. About time Winged Glory got some more spotlight on her. My only worry is Busiek is a man writing about feminists issues. Which can get problematic very fast in the wrong hands.
EGOS 1 - I should be dropping comics, but I want to give this one a try. I've never read anything by Stewart Moore, but this looks interesting.
MEGA MAN 33 - I will say this about Ian Flynn, he knows how to make you care about characters you instinctively know are 'safe' in the context of their comic. Mega Man sacrificed everything last issue, you know its not permanent, but it feels like it could be!
PROPHET 42 - Seems to be drawing on more Liefeld concepts then before, but in an accessible way.
SAVAGE DRAGON ARCHIVES Vol. 3 - I'll believe it when I see it! But I have a feeling its legit. Curious if it will have a digital release, or be print only. This chunk of reprints will fill in the last bit of Savage Dragon I haven't read yet.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 256 - Actually came out digitally last week. Concluded the current arc, which spent a good 5 issues reestablishing the status quo and reintroducing the cast. It was a bit leisurely, but it was never boring and quite emotional at points (the stuff with Bunny and Antoine). Thing have changed a bit after a shift in reality, and it could show DC a few things on how to actually soft reboot a universe.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Adventurer on 13 January, 2014, 10:43:47 PM
EGOS 1 - I should be dropping comics, but I want to give this one a try. I've never read anything by Stewart Moore, but this looks interesting.

This sounds interesting, be sure to let us know how it goes The Adventurer.

Link Prime

Another trio for me tomorrow;

Miracleman 1; doubt I'm the only one here picking this up...
Superior Spider-Man 25; It's been a fun ride, but the 8 Euro per month cost was not just chafing, but scarring. Good that's it's going out on top. It'll certainly give me an extra few quid to play with every month for other titles. Very unsure if I'll pick up Amazing when it re-starts, and I have absolutely no interest in a continuation of Superior with another character taking the role.
Wraith: Welcome To Christmasland 3; Solid IDW mini by Joe Hill- who could say no?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 14 January, 2014, 01:16:24 PM

Miracleman 1; doubt I'm the only one here picking this up...

Funnily enough I've been thinking about this one (well that's not really a surprise). I read the story back in the day and remember really enjoying it and I'm really looking forward to getting it again. I think however I'm going to force myself to be patient. At $4.99 there is a heck of a lot of filler in the comic I think only 14 pages of 'the good stuff' included in a 64 page comic. Now don't get me wrong I'm sure a lot of the other content will be very readable but its not really want I'm after. So I think I'll trade wait...

... or maybe not as the hardcover out in May of what I assume is the first third of 'The Original Writers' stuff (which of course I shouldn't be reading as I read Grant Morrison stuff too... but I digress) is £22.50 before discount if you go that route, for 128 pages, of what I assume will be mainly the good stuff. Given that the trade will probably therefore be at £12 - £14 for a similar amount of content its still not a great deal... but it is better. If I'm feeling very brave I might hold out to see what future variations appear when Marvel have milked it as much as they can (can't blame them for that in their context).

ALL that said if its in my bag (my LCS sometimes does that which I often appreciate) I know I'll buckle at the till...

Recrewt

The problem with Miracleman is that it is costly/difficult to get hold of currently so whilst this latest offering might be a little expensive, it is still better than trying to get stuff off ebay and such.  Also, I copied a link in another thread (forget which one now) which shows that the colouring on this latest version is probably the finest there has been.  I wouldn't mind if it was still in it's original b&w but some of the previous colour jobs have not been great, so at least Marvel are putting in the effort.

I will be picking up the hardcover when it comes out.

Hawkmumbler

It's a trades sleeper for me as well i'm afraid. Looks succulent but I just  cant justify it ATM.

sheldipez

Quote from: Link Prime on 14 January, 2014, 01:16:24 PM
Superior Spider-Man 25; It's been a fun ride, but the 8 Euro per month cost was not just chafing, but scarring. Good that's it's going out on top. It'll certainly give me an extra few quid to play with every month for other titles. Very unsure if I'll pick up Amazing when it re-starts, and I have absolutely no interest in a continuation of Superior with another character taking the role.

Loved the hell out of Superior run so I'm not one that will be glad to see this end, big Spidey fan though so will continue to pull whatever Spider-Man books Marvel put out (have to say it's the sole thing from Marvel I follow!)

Don't contribute much to this thread anymore as I keep losing track of what is landing when or what I've got on order. First world problems eh.

Miraclemen was pricier than I was expecting.

BPP

Anybody missing their fix of Simon Fraser should order up Grindhouse (doors open at midnight) #3 & #4 for some great Dante-esque ladies and fights art. The bad-gal even looks like the spit of lulu. Bobbins-to-okay story, great art.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Hawkmumbler

I dropped Grindhouse after #2. I complained about a drop in quality when in retrospect I was just out of Machete Kills and the two merged in my slightly drunken stupor. Those Fraser pages do look lovely, but hopefully they will be collected also. They seem to have shifted enough copies to justify it.

Link Prime

Grindhouse wasn't really on my radar, and I do remember Hawk mentioning he was dropping it after a coupla issues a few weeks back further strengthening my desire not to read it, but damn; gotta get those Simon Fraser issues.