Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Don't you just love it when your haul is almost perfect. Its only a small one and its taken me since Saturday to get around to reading it but its done now and it was a delight.

I've discussed the fact that I'm enjoying Hinterkind elsewhere today and issue 4 is no exception, though it did take me a few pages to get my head around who was whom etc. Its nice adventure yarn. Three 4 was superb action and set up a thrilling finale. Jonah Hex 26 has a truly awful cover, which I think might be a tribute to the old DC rpg Hex adventure. Whats inside however continues to defy my expectation making JH a regular character in the DC should be horrible but he's such a strong character under Jimmy and Justin it really works. Its kinda like Brave and the Bold with Jonah not Batman and that's an incredibly enjoyable idea.

FBP 7 is the end of a fun short and this book continues to be a delight. The Victories 8 excels as ever, you never quite know whats going to happen as the cover lone says. Fatale 19 another winner.

Can't be bothered to pick a best of this haul as they were all so good BUT I'll make special mention of The Saviors 1 as its a fantastic first issue, setting things up nicely while adding a lovely dose of action and adventure. J Bone's art is glorious as ever it is. This would be an unqualified success of a first issue if it wasn't for the fact that James Robinson has fooled me recently with a great first issue that ended up not really going anywhere too interest so we'll have to see, but what a start.

The Adventurer

Gotta say, EGOs was pretty good. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but its got a bit of a Legion of Super-Heroes vibe with a distopian future slant. Since Legion is cancelled, and Hypernaturals concluded... I think I'll be sticking with this one!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

A few collected edition pick ups....

D.Gray-Man Omnibus vol. 2
Shimura
Watamote vol. 1
Lone Wolf and Cub Omnibus vol.2
Shingeki No Kyojin vol's. 4-7
The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec: Pteror over Paris/ The Eiffel Tower Demon

Mardroid

I continue to get these comics:

2000AD (digital)
The Megazine (digital)
Animal Man  (digital)
Swamp Thing (digital)
All Star Western (digital)

At the comic shop today I was able to pick up:

Dept. Of Monsterology #2
Revolutionary War: Alpha #1.

I have read the first five and they were largely good. I've yet to read the last two but enjoyed Dept. Of....#1. I was also please to read my comic book guy had read it and he said it was "awesome". I'm the only customer who buys this comic (unsurprisingly he had never heard of it until I ordered it) so I'm chuffed to make a new convert. Not sure he'll buy it himself though as I got the impression he read mine before I got my pass on it.

As for RW: Alpha I ordered RW as it seemed interesting although I'm only acquainted with the character Captain Britain, and only him from Alan Moore's treatment. Nicely surprised both first 2 issues were already available. (The second had sold out Iunfortunately. But more are due.)

Shows my age that I was a tad shocked at the £3.00 price tag of each issue. Probably should have trade waited really but as a series of one shots I wasn't sure they'd be collected.

sheldipez

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 January, 2014, 10:08:51 PM
Shows my age that I was a tad shocked at the £3.00 price tag of each issue. Probably should have trade waited really but as a series of one shots I wasn't sure they'd be collected.

I've been buying the digital codes from the $3.99 Marvel books for a dollar a piece (roughly 60p) off people who buy the physical book but have no interest in redeeming the code. If you link your marvel account with your comixology account you can read them over there.

Something worth looking into if you're already digital. There's a thread on reddit and bleedingcool among other places. People are happy to set up a subscription as such so they'll continue to send the codes through as they get them. I got both of the revolutionary wars and bunch of this weeks' Marvel books this way.

BPP

Aren't the digital codes a non-transfersble access right - meaning selling / selling is piracy?

Not an accusation, more a query. Would seem from an IP perspective to grant more is unnecessary and loosens control of sales.

Quote from: sheldipez on 19 January, 2014, 02:06:22 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 18 January, 2014, 10:08:51 PM

I've been buying the digital codes from the $3.99 Marvel books for a dollar a piece (roughly 60p) off people who buy the physical book but have no interest in redeeming the code. If you link your marvel account with your comixology account you can read them over there.

Something worth looking into if you're already digital. There's a thread on reddit and bleedingcool among other places. People are happy to set up a subscription as such so they'll continue to send the codes through as they get them. I got both of the revolutionary wars and bunch of this weeks' Marvel books this way.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Adventurer

He's talking about the redeemable codes that come with print comics. They might be non-transferable, but there is no way to enforce who redeems the codes after the initial purchase.

BPP

Yes I understand, am just querying the rights involved. If it's non-transferable then what's being advocated is straight forward copyright violation. Do the codes come with any blurb?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Adventurer

Digital Pulls for 01/22/14

2000 AD 1865 - Judge Dredd: Titan has the feeling of a modern classic, but I'm a bit hung up on the poor representation of Titan as it actually is. Titan is a really cool solar system body! Here its pretty much portrayed as just 'Mars like'.
VINLAND SAGA Vol.2 - Actually, I haven't finished Vol.1 yet. But I'm really enjoying what I've read so far. Fantastic artwork.
THE WALKING DEAD 120 - Behind a month, not too eager to get caught up. Will eventually I'm sure.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 8 - We're back to our regularly scheduled weekly anthology after a few weeks of release weirdness. Lack of Toriko, One-Punch Man, and All You Need is Kill made this return issue kind of weak for me. One-Piece, Bleach, World Trigger, and Seraph (though Seraph seems to have fallen into some very obnoxious cliche traps. But manages to be a little bit self-aware about it I guess...) manage to keep things from being a complete wash.

Kind of a lite week this week. Which is actually good news for once. So broke.

Hawkmumbler

A bloody i'll timed dental accident (see the impediments thread) means i'll be laying of any none sub comics for a while, leaving only the tooth (hahahahahfuckme) and WSJ for the rest of the month. Sorry Samurai Jack, Revolutionary War and Voltron/Robotech.  :'(

Searph can't seem to decide what it's longevity is going to be. One minuet it's tacking months to work out back story, next minuet it's rushing character 'development' in the space of weeks. Art's still nice but was the shower scene really needed?

One Piece's current arc is being adapted to screen as we speak also.

The Adventurer

QuoteA bloody i'll timed dental accident (see the impediments thread) means i'll be laying of any none sub comics for a while, leaving only the tooth (hahahahahfuckme) and WSJ for the rest of the month. Sorry Samurai Jack, Revolutionary War and Voltron/Robotech.

Oh dear. I actually crashed my car in snow conditions a few weeks ago, and I'm still dealing with the financial fallout from that. So I totally can relate.

Link Prime

Sorry to hear about yer troubles boys...

As for new comic day-
An upcoming brick of goodness for me tomorrow;

Judge Dredd: Mega City Two 1 (As we've discussed at length, it looks like 5 issues of pure Zarjaz).
Unwritten: Apocalypse 1 (Vertigo's greatest current series returns for a year-long run. Dead excited.)
All New X-Factor 2 (Two weeks since issue 1, eh Marvel? Even the mighty PAD can become a victim of my remorseless scythe- I'm giving this to issue 4 to decide. Ironically, if it was a clear, monthly schedule I wouldn't even consider dropping it).
Batman 27 (The arc is treading water, but the creative team have me on board; in sickness and health).
Origin II 2 (I was quite pleasantly surprised by the first issue. Gillen delivered for me, and the artwork was simply beautiful. Will likely see this through its 5 issue arc).

Recrewt

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 14 January, 2014, 01:38:56 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 14 January, 2014, 01:16:24 PM

Miracleman 1; doubt I'm the only one here picking this up...

Funnily enough I've been thinking about this one (well that's not really a surprise). I read the story back in the day and remember really enjoying it and I'm really looking forward to getting it again. I think however I'm going to force myself to be patient. At $4.99 there is a heck of a lot of filler in the comic I think only 14 pages of 'the good stuff' included in a 64 page comic. Now don't get me wrong I'm sure a lot of the other content will be very readable but its not really want I'm after. So I think I'll trade wait...

... or maybe not as the hardcover out in May of what I assume is the first third of 'The Original Writers' stuff (which of course I shouldn't be reading as I read Grant Morrison stuff too... but I digress) is £22.50 before discount if you go that route, for 128 pages, of what I assume will be mainly the good stuff. Given that the trade will probably therefore be at £12 - £14 for a similar amount of content its still not a great deal... but it is better. If I'm feeling very brave I might hold out to see what future variations appear when Marvel have milked it as much as they can (can't blame them for that in their context).

ALL that said if its in my bag (my LCS sometimes does that which I often appreciate) I know I'll buckle at the till...

Was in my local FP at the weekend and they had a load of these on the shelf.  They clearly ordered BIG as I cannot remember the last time I have seen so many copies of a comic.  I had a quick peruse and it looks like it contains some older coloured stuff, then the solid gold Alan Moore re-coloured stuff (which did look impressive), then some text based articles and finally some even older b&w reprints.  I have to say overall I wasn't too impressed and I'm a lot more nervous now about how the hardback is going to turn out.  :-\

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Recrewt on 21 January, 2014, 01:21:48 PM

Miracleman 1; doubt I'm the only one here picking this up...

Was in my local FP at the weekend and they had a load of these on the shelf.  They clearly ordered BIG as I cannot remember the last time I have seen so many copies of a comic.  I had a quick peruse and it looks like it contains some older coloured stuff, then the solid gold Alan Moore re-coloured stuff (which did look impressive), then some text based articles and finally some even older b&w reprints.  I have to say overall I wasn't too impressed and I'm a lot more nervous now about how the hardback is going to turn out.  :-\
[/quote]

Ha! Maybe the trick will be waiting for it all to be done then buying the whole series form £1 bins when its finished!

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 January, 2014, 01:33:07 PM
Ha! Maybe the trick will be waiting for it all to be done then buying the whole series form £1 bins when its finished!

I genuinely could have saved myself 150 Euro with Before Watchmen using that tactic!