Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

One Piece is a grower. I love it, one of my first comic books and as silly as it is I find it so fun each week I wouldn't give it up if I wanted. Same goes for Bleach actually.

Sad thing is I know both Naruto and Niskoi have potential. Kishimoto has done some great one shots that I think deserve the anthology collected edition treatment (Mario was great).

Bakuman is great, and that uncle character is as analogue for Obata more so than the main characters are, though parts of their life are incorporated into the story.

Link Prime

Only one for me tomorrow:
Judge Dredd: City of Courts 2 (Wolk & Farinas are crafting a unique take on a Dredd here- but in a good way).

sheldipez

Turok Dinosaur Hunter #1 - New rebooted series from Dynamite, art looks great and big Pak fan.
All-New Invaders #2 - I was a fan of the original series so giving this series an arc or two.
Ms. Marvel #1 - Gotta check this one out to see if it's actually good or just hyped
Punisher #1 - New Punisher; just hope it's a new take.
Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #8 - Love this series. One that's made me laugh out loud a few times.
Marvel Knights Spider-Man #5 - way behind in this
Hinterkind #5 - felt like this could it into pages of 2000 AD,  which comes as no surprise considering the writer ;D
Shonen Weekly Jump (whatever number issue is!)

I think that's this week covered. I get lost off sometimes. It goes without saying that we're all pulling the prog right?!

The Adventurer

DIGITAL COMIC PULLS FOR 02/05/14

2000 AD 1867 - Holding the course. Judge Dredd - Titan is pretty cool!
CATALYST COMIX 8 - Catalyst Comix had to be bumped down to 'wait for price drop status'. Its good. But not Butcher Baker good.
INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE 10 - I've been waiting for Knockout and Kid Thor to get hitched for... 10 years? So... payoff!
SONIC UNIVERSE  60 - I'm learning I still don't give a shit about Shadow the Hedgehog. Rogue the Bat can be cool though.
THE STAR WARS 5 - Another series I'm price drop waiting on. Its actually pretty great. But its not going anywhere (until 2015 anyway).
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 10 - Toriko's back after a month, and... is it me did it just skip over a ton of plot? I wonder what's up with that!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Not picking up Judge Dredd: Mega City Two gents?
For shame!

Hawkmumbler

Blue Exorcist was on top form this week. Just wish it could be weekly so it would move along a little faster.

The Adventurer

Blue Exorcist is short enough that I really should go back to the beginning and get caught up. It's actually really good.

Kinda pissed at Toriko right now. Seems to have just reset itself and forgot to tell the interesting bit in between. Though it's probably the most new reader friendly of any series right now.

Hawkmumbler

I'm waiting on the inebitable omnibus editions. They tend to save me quite a bit of money.

Link Prime

Going for a mini blow-out tomorrow;

All New X-Factor 3 (The 'make or break' issue for this title- I really want to limit the amount of fortnightly comics on my pull list, so am itching for a reason. Give me one PAD. Please.)
Batman 28 (An arc so yawn inducing, I'll admit I haven't even read last months yet. How many more months of this? Four? Ah FFS...)
Superior Spider-Man 27 (My affection for a fresh take on Spidey is up as soon as PP gets back...not long now).
Royals Masters of War 1 (I'm a huge fan of Williams & Coleby, but had intended to trade-wait this. Just found out its a mini, not an ongoing, so what the hell. Definitely one for your average 2000AD fan I would think).
X-Force 1 (You will not buy new X books from Marvel. Repeat, you will not buy new X books from Marvel. Yeah, but Si Spurrier is writing your favorite 90's mutants with some funky new artist. Sigh. Go on then).
Revolutionary War: Deaths Head II 1 (Haven't picked any other books in this series up, but artist Nick Roche- who's lifelong dream in drawing Deaths Head is realized- is signing / sketching at 6pm tomorrow, and my LCS are throwing a bit of a party for him afterwards. I'm on board, Yes?).

Review: too much Marvel on that list. Sorry, PAD.

sheldipez

I'm splitting these into sections now as backlog is getting out of hand:

Stuff that's dropping tomorrow that I can read immediately:
Star Wars #14 - confirmed as ending this year with Dark Horse losing the licence. Interested to see how they'll end it. Been quality through out.
Walking Dead #121 - usually a trade waiter but been following this individually through the "all out war" arc cos it drops so often (twice a month?)
She-Hulk #1 - Not keen on the art in the preview, but checking it out.
Superior Spider-Man #27 - love this
Coffin Hill #5 - really good Vertigo series
The X-Files: Season 10 #9- one of my fave pulls
Injustice: Year Two - digital - issue #3 or #4 ? I cant remember
2000AD and Weekly Shonen Jump

Stuff that's dropping tomorrow that I'm either months behind or haven't read any of the previous comics yet:
Revolutionary War Death's Head II #1 - haven't read any of the previous issues yet
Batgirl #28 - 11 issues behind
Batman #28 - 5 issues behind
Memory Collectors #3 - haven't read any of the previous issues yet
Avengers #26 - I'm TWENTY issues behind, all sat in Comixology waiting to be read.

I need to crack on. The thing I've found with digital comics is ComiXology is a nightmare with comic sales like Steam is with games sales. I can't stop buying slashed comics so even though I'm constantly reading some normal pulls end up unread.

Oh look 50% off Dynamite comics!... <starts to add stuff to cart>

The Adventurer

Previous Classic Battlestar minis and Galactica 1980 (which is sadly unavailable. Sad face) mini are all really good

Avoid New BSG titles. They were all uniformity awful.

sheldipez

Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 February, 2014, 10:50:40 AM
Previous Classic Battlestar minis and Galactica 1980 (which is sadly unavailable. Sad face) mini are all really good

Avoid New BSG titles. They were all uniformity awful.

cheers, still going through whats on offer  :D A lot of these Dynamite comics are a buck after the 50% off which is around 60p. This is why so my comiXology has grown so much so quickly  :-\

The Adventurer

MY DIGITAL PULLS FOR 02/12/14

2000 AD 1868 - ABC Warriors took a week off last week, and the one-shot Future Shock we got in its place was better then any ABC Warriors we've had in ages. But its back now.
ASTRO CITY 9 - Busiek seems to be trying really REALLY hard to form a Astro City 'trinity' between Winged Glory, Samaritan, and Confessor. Not sure I'm digging it. Seems a bit forced.
EGOs 2 - First issue was solid. Closest thing we have to Legion of Super-Heroes right now. Good Hypernaturals replacement I think.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 257 - Start of a new arc, the planet of Mobius looks pretty F--ked.
STAR WARS 14 - This series will end sometime this year due to license transfer to Marvel. That's really really tragic.
THINK TANK 12 - Final issue of 'season 1' (?!) will apparently return in full color. Because apparently Black & White is completely toxic to comic sales. *sigh*
WALKING DEAD 121 - For a series that's been double shipping issues, I feel like things are starting to drag.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 11 - Is it me, or is what Doflamingo is doing in One Piece to build a slave workforce really really creepy? Because it is. One-Punch Man felt way too short! Toriko is as accessable as it'll ever be if anyone new is interested in jumping on. All You Need is Kill is really booking along at breakneck speed.

Possibly First Issues if I have the cash...

FUSE 1 - Looks like a good science fiction / mystery yarn. And I dig those.
ROYALS MASTERS OF WAR 1 - Rob (Cla$$war/Low Life) Williams and Simon (Judge Dredd) Colby does 'super-heroes' in a potentially unique way. Really interested in this based on creative team alone.

Recrewt

Quote from: sheldipez on 11 February, 2014, 10:01:36 AM

I'm a little ashamed to say I have dropped the monthly IDW X-Files title in favour of trade waiting.  How are you finding the second story arc?  Also, have you been getting those X-files Lone Gunmen crossovers?  I just couldn't get my head around the lone gunman appearing alongside the teenage mutant ninja turtles!

sheldipez

Quote from: Recrewt on 12 February, 2014, 02:00:10 PM
Quote from: sheldipez on 11 February, 2014, 10:01:36 AM

I'm a little ashamed to say I have dropped the monthly IDW X-Files title in favour of trade waiting.  How are you finding the second story arc?  Also, have you been getting those X-files Lone Gunmen crossovers?  I just couldn't get my head around the lone gunman appearing alongside the teenage mutant ninja turtles!

It's consistently been great even with the few different artists they've had which cannot be said for the first issue of the Lone Gunmen micro series; that is some of the worst interior art I've seen on a mainstream book since Liefeld and co rocked the 90's. Deformed heads and misshapen bodies throughout.  The 2nd issue looked worlds better but I've decided to wait until the series is complete and slashed on comixology before I read anymore.

Main Season 10 has been a fans dream though. I do wish Harris cut back on the nostalgia (last issue had Mulder chucking pencils into the ceiling again) like he's trying to put as many "remember that" per issue as possible but generally is doing a great job with both the mythology and monster of the week stuff.

Veteran show writer/producer Frank Spotnitz is writing the annual in March/April so 2014 looks to be a good year for the book.