Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

This week Si Spurrier achieves the improbable by having me buy not one but two X books. Plus
The Royals (2000AD creative team makes it a no brainer),
Abe Sapien,
Astro City,
Ten Grand
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Hawkmumbler

My wonderful best friend got me some GN's for Valentines day! (Don't ask, we have a complicated relationship)

X-O Manowar Hardback
Age of Reptiles
X (3-in1 v.1)

GordyM

The latest issue of Batman is fantastic and has a hell of a suckerpunch ending (that's probably already been spoiled by various sites).
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Recrewt

Quote from: sheldipez on 11 February, 2014, 10:01:36 AM
Main Season 10 has been a fans dream though. I do wish Harris cut back on the nostalgia (last issue had Mulder chucking pencils into the ceiling again) like he's trying to put as many "remember that" per issue as possible but generally is doing a great job with both the mythology and monster of the week stuff.

I know what you mean, I do like some of the nostalgia stuff but they don't need to overcook it.  Sounds like it is still going great and I look forward to the Mars Attacks crossover in the future!  ;)

Colin YNWA

Well latest haul in and over all its quite fantastic except for two books that really are on the cusp now.

Batman 28 in most circumstance should be me out. Not that its a bad comic. In fact its quite a well told little tale. The trouble is its really an advert for a series I have no interest in and I've had to pay for the privilege of reading it. The bloody cheek. I was done and in indignant rage was about to cancel the book. The trouble is I want to give the last arc of Year Zero a go and see if it pulls things together. So I suspect I'll hang around and wait for that to be over before making a decision.

East of West 9 I want to like this comic, it looks great and does some wonderful world building and has some intriguing ideas. The trouble is I don't give a flying chuff about any of the characters. All a bit BIG and distant to really engage me. I think this one has gone with so many exciting looking titles on the way I need room and I think I've given this plenty of time.

Lazarus 6 shows the East of West team how it should be done. Great world building, looks good, big political ideas BUT it feels far more anchored. The led is far more interesting and sympathetic character and by providing a view of the world from a variety of levels the political parallels, while possibly a little too transparent, at least have me invested and caring.

The other talking point for me this month is The Mercenary Sea 1 which has been getting a real kicking in reviews, a real kicking and I really enjoyed it. The main complaint against it has been its riddled with cliche and indeed it is BUT I think this is very deliberate and a nice story point for the first issue. The almost cinematic art, the tropes from a hundred action adventure movies set the world we are in perfectly. It throws us straight in and makes us feel very at home and comfortable. We're in, we know were we are and we're happy. Now I agree this level of cliche long term will be very poor but I hope having successfully given us our world in this first issue the title will now start to explore it a little more imaginatively. Its far from a perfect start but it is a relaxed fun, simple one. This series will be judged on where it goes from here.

Elsewhere we're on blistering form. The Victories 9, Fatale 20, The Maxx 4 Hinterkind 5 all stake a good case for being book of the haul. All are superb. The title might have gone to The Saviors 2 for being what it is, a rip roaring 50's horror move and quite beautiful EXCEPT it needs a letterer. J Bone's art is exquisite in the opening wordless scene, its exquisite throughout but in the second half the amount of dialogue and such BIG LETTERING mean the art is cramped and loses a lot of space to breathe. Its as if they had so much fun with the first action scene they had to cramp too much into the second half and it had a real impact. With a better letterer I think this still could have worked. Lettering the hidden art, not the hiding art!

So that leaves us Jonah Hex 27 then as book of the haul, with the (not so) simply divine interaction between JH and Supes just buzzing with life and character. Loved it. BUT not so, there is only one possible winner this time X-Men Legacy 23 and 24 (well okay 2 then) with a quite brilliant ending. Loved it, Si Spurrier is now officially a comics God. You know what as well I'm not entirely sure I get it all. Which is half the fun cos the series has been such a delight I'm really looking forward to reading it all again and seeing and learning things from the series I've missed on my monthly read and I suspect getting more and more on each subsequent re-read. I've loved this series and the ending packed I so many ideas, themes etc that unpicking it all will be a joy I can't wait to get to. Spurrier rules me... which kinda misses the point but indulge me.

Hawkmumbler

Im not to happy with Kubo at the moment. For awhile now ke's been leading up to Rukia's battle with Äs Nodt as revenge for the Stern Ritters victory over Byakuya. Family honour and all that schtick. So why is it that Kubo allows that to be chucked asside via some very dodgy biology (Nerve endings are made of cells Kubo. And you've alreDy said Spirit Beings arent made of cells so WTH?) just so Byakuya could storm in and save Rukia. Thats some lazy balls their.

Link Prime

Dear Lord; please make it a light week, I'm broke.

So, only 'The Unwritten: Apocalypse' 2 to trouble my wallet? Thank f--- for that.

sheldipez

My pulls 19/2 :

Extinction Parade #5 - Max Brooks' bi-monthly zombie / vampires tale. Bit rough art but I dig it.
Batman And Two-Face #28 (aka Batman And Robin #28 - about a year behind in this
Harley Quinn #3 - currently the most fun book DC puts out - pretty much their version of Deadpool
X-Files Conspiracy - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 - I wasn't going to bother with this series until it's trade but then I saw the preview with [ex] Season 10 regular artist Michael Walsh and this is now a buy again.
Voice In The Dark #4 - one of my favorite pulls, it's a crime/thriller series written and drawn by disabled chap called Larime Taylor. He draws the whole thing with his mouth. It's not just because of any sympathy towards the guy but it genuinely has great black and white art, the main character is female and ALL of the characters have realistic body types. Been a consistent five star book for me.
Amazing X-Men #4 - not a big X-Men fan but this has been a lot of old skool fun - its a pirate adventure story set in heaven. What more do you want.
Night Of The Living Deadpool #3
Punisher #2
Savage Wolverine #15
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #10
Bloodshot And H.A.R.D. Corps #19

Usual prog + Meg on top. I think thats the lot.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 17 February, 2014, 09:45:19 PM
The other talking point for me this month is The Mercenary Sea 1 which has been getting a real kicking in reviews, a real kicking and I really enjoyed it. The main complaint against it has been its riddled with cliche and indeed it is BUT I think this is very deliberate and a nice story point for the first issue. The almost cinematic art, the tropes from a hundred action adventure movies set the world we are in perfectly. It throws us straight in and makes us feel very at home and comfortable. We're in, we know were we are and we're happy. Now I agree this level of cliche long term will be very poor but I hope having successfully given us our world in this first issue the title will now start to explore it a little more imaginatively. Its far from a perfect start but it is a relaxed fun, simple one. This series will be judged on where it goes from here.

This slipped by me - will check this out for sure!

Link Prime

Heavy week Sheld...how much you spending on funnybooks per month???

sheldipez

Quote from: Link Prime on 18 February, 2014, 03:00:04 PM
Heavy week Sheld...how much you spending on funnybooks per month???

I honestly don't like to tally things up! When I bought stuff physically I used to order a lot less cos I would put in one lump order (for the most part) with Disposable Heroes. With comixology it's a slippery with auto charging on release. Some of the Marvel $4 books I buy through the grey market of the code resellers so they work out around 60p-£1 an ish. I try not to think about monthly totals though :lol:

I forgot about Shonen Jump, thats out today isn't it.  I think the latest TMNT trade is out this week too.

Honestly, I think we're spoiled of choice these days!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheldipez on 18 February, 2014, 02:54:43 PM

X-Files Conspiracy - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 -

I'm guessing this is a typo (I should know!) but how cool would it be if this existed!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 18 February, 2014, 04:13:10 PM

I'm guessing this is a typo (I should know!) but how cool would it be if this existed!

Its 100% legit Colin. Cant source atm because im on my phone but the cover parodies the Grey Disection Footage.

sheldipez

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 18 February, 2014, 04:13:10 PM

Preview here

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=20300

Colin YNWA

HA! That's fantastic. My apologies for doubting!

I'm really happy this exists. I'll probably never read it but I'm still very happy we live in a world where this exists.

The Adventurer

MY DIGITAL PULLS FOR  2/19/14

2000 AD 1869 - I have nothing new to say about this line-up. Which isn't a good thing I suppose. But its not BAD, just the same quality as last week (and the last two months). We're suppose to get some new strips in a few weeks though. So excitement right around the corner!
FABLES 138 - I can't believe this ends next year. I mean I litterally can't, there are a thousand plotlines still spinning! Where will they find the time to resolve half of them?!
SAVAGE DRAGON 193 - Bold New Direction! Ground Floor! Buzz Words! Its pretty exciting to be reading SD right now, the future is wide open and anything is possible. If you've ever thought about trying this book, now is the TIME.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 12 - Dragon Ball Z in Color ends. It sure was Dragon Ball Z. Truth is, I like Dragon Ball (the Manga) in general. Akira Toriyama is a cool cat, but I just can't care any more about DBZ. I'm glad its gone. New weekly series starts next issue, Stealth Symphony, I have no idea what its about but its by the guy who created Bacanno!... so that's got my hopes up for being excellent. World Trigger continues to be strangely compelling.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK