Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Oh, and if you've heard me raving about ONE-PUNCH MAN at any point in the last year and want to find out just what the fuck I've been losing my mind about.

VIZ has the first volume of ONE-PUNCH MAN on sale digitally NOW (no idea if a print copy is likely in the future). Can be read in your Browser (works surprisingly well because the comic is actually intended for digital release), iPad, or Android (I think). Also available on Amazon for Kindle.

FREE PREVIEW HERE!!!!!!!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

sheldipez

I've never read Fables before.  I'm waiting for it to end to do a complete run through.

Dragonball was waste of Shonen. It's old, been released to bits and the lettering was rough. Roll on something new.

The Adventurer

I wouldn't call DBZ a waste, truth is if it wasn't there there probably wouldn't have been anything filling those pages. Soooooo for $1 I'll take it as a bonus.

I think what I was most disappointed about was I saw a preview for the Color DBZ it was almost water colors, but when it premiered it was just boring flat digital colors.

And year, the lettering wasn't great. I actually think its the same lettering its always had! They didn't do anything about it, they certainly didn't do anything to the translation.

sheldipez

They're definitely different, Shonen have said that the fonts in the weekly release were set by Shueisha in Japan for the mag, the recent physical release of the colour volume is different/ reverted back to original.

Colin YNWA

Is that One Man Punch picture by Dean Ormston? Certainly reminds me of some of his earlier work.

The Adventurer

Pretty sure its series artist Yusuke Murata.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 19 February, 2014, 10:27:04 AM

You would know a lot more about that than me. Just looks very Ormston to my ill trained eyes.

Anyway I'll post my next thoughts here for want of a more appropriate place but the Image solicitations for May are out and a lot of the books I pick up are missing in action. No real problem you expect skip months when a title retains a creative team and well worth it they are. It also means you can pick up more books. After all chances are they'll always be something skipping in any given month if you pick up enough 'indie' titles.

What does worry me however is the absence of 'Nowhere Men' again and I guess this the one downside of moving towards getting creator owned (or at least driven) books. Now Nowhere Men is one of my favourite titles, I bloomin' love it. It did however lip through its first year having only 6 issues come out. Recharged and refreshed Eric Stephenson the writer and Images publisher said he was looking forward to the second arc starting in January this year. Nowt showed. Almost out of February and still nowt there. I think Image had solicited up to issue 9, maybe even 10 but I'm beginning to wonder when we'll see them and even if we'll see them. I certainly hope so and I'm happy to wait as long as we know its coming. It just worries me that the titles can just up and disappear. When you are invested in the story this can be so disappointing. Just look at Mudman. Paul Grist still insists we'll be getting more but with Kane coming back and his strip in the Megazine I do wonder.

Still we'll see I guess.

The Adventurer

Is Kane coming back? I hadn't heard. Mudman being MIA was a big disappointment last year. Its the same situation Jack Staff had I'm sure. Low Sales + Grist schedule slipping = heart break.

Unfortunately I passed on Nowhere Men, which was dumb because I dig Nate Bellegarde quite a bit. I got to read the first issue last month, I liked it. But.... I couldn't fit it in. But if its on hiatus... maybe its time to catch up.

sheldipez

There's some interesting things in May solicitations.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #2
• Electro's power is out of control! And only one person can fix it...
• ...the Superior Spider-Man!
• Wait. This book's the AMAZING Spider-Man now.
• So we're probably out of luck.
• Plus: That thing that freaked you out last issue? There's more on that. The return of you-know-who? There's MUCH more on that. Action! Drama! Surprises! There's MORE OF EVERYTHING!

This mean Ock continues on as Superior. Slott writes these solicitations so he may be just having fun. Sure there was one or two boarders that was following Superior..

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 February, 2014, 10:55:30 AM

You would know a lot more about that than me. Just looks very Ormston to my ill trained eyes.

Mine too- very similar to early 90's Ormston.

Forgot you had so many digital comics on your pull-list Sheldipez, must help with the cost alright.
2nd hand digital codes is something I must look into.
I'm dropping X-Factor due to the fact it's a disgraceful 8 quid a month, Comixology digital codes may be the way to go, as its a pretty good book so far.

sheldipez

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 February, 2014, 11:19:25 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 February, 2014, 10:55:30 AM

Mine too- very similar to early 90's Ormston.

Forgot you had so many digital comics on your pull-list Sheldipez, must help with the cost alright.
2nd hand digital codes is something I must look into.
I'm dropping X-Factor due to the fact it's a disgraceful 8 quid a month, Comixology digital codes may be the way to go, as its a pretty good book so far.

The only physical Marvel books I buy now is Superior and Team-up, both those I redeem the codes, box away into the collection and read them digitally.

You probably know but buying (or subscribing) the books through the comixology app via paypal is cheapest way as opposed to through the app (at least the android version) as there's some auto conversion or google charges being added in there. The charge for US currency conversion through paypal is so small its not worth mentioning as long as you fund through a bank, its much higher if you fund through debit or credit card. Made my purchases much cheaper so I'm getting way more books than what I was paying physically.

I've been really impressed with digital experience, the entry point for a decent 10" tablet is still high but if you're heavy reader you can start to save quickly (and the missus is happy that the longboxes are decreasing out of the loft). I used to sit firmly on the otherside of the digital divide but the format really has won me over. Marvel and DC paperstock is so bad (and ad infested) these days I sure don't miss those.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 19 February, 2014, 11:01:36 AM
Is Kane coming back?

Apparently in some form or other - whether its just re-releasing the existing material like The Maxx I don't know. Got the info from his twitter feed, he seems to be the only person I actual 'follow' on Twitter - all be it not in the proper way! Just too try to catch news about Mudman!

Anyway BleedingCool article which pulls the clues together.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/12/17/could-we-get-the-return-of-paul-grists-kane-as-well/

QuoteUnfortunately I passed on Nowhere Men, which was dumb because I dig Nate Bellegarde quite a bit. I got to read the first issue last month, I liked it. But.... I couldn't fit it in. But if its on hiatus... maybe its time to catch up.

The first trade is out there and well worth checking out. Its a very dense, interesting and original story. Love it.

Professor Bear

Quote from: sheldipez on 19 February, 2014, 11:43:30 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 19 February, 2014, 11:19:25 AMComixology digital codes may be the way to go

I used to sit firmly on the otherside of the digital divide but the format really has won me over. Marvel and DC paperstock is so bad (and ad infested) these days I sure don't miss those.

If I wanted to offload the digital codes in the books on my pull list, how would I do so?  Also, seeing as I have several years' worth of unclaimed digital copies of books, do you have any idea how long the codes are good for?

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 February, 2014, 12:00:56 PM
QuoteUnfortunately I passed on Nowhere Men, which was dumb because I dig Nate Bellegarde quite a bit. I got to read the first issue last month, I liked it. But.... I couldn't fit it in. But if its on hiatus... maybe its time to catch up.

The first trade is out there and well worth checking out. Its a very dense, interesting and original story. Love it.

Got the trade a while back but it didn't really grab me, you can have mine if you like, The Adventurer.

sheldipez

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 February, 2014, 03:54:35 PM
Quote from: sheldipez on 19 February, 2014, 11:43:30 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 19 February, 2014, 11:19:25 AMComixology digital codes may be the way to go

I used to sit firmly on the otherside of the digital divide but the format really has won me over. Marvel and DC paperstock is so bad (and ad infested) these days I sure don't miss those.

If I wanted to offload the digital codes in the books on my pull list, how would I do so?  Also, seeing as I have several years' worth of unclaimed digital copies of books, do you have any idea how long the codes are good for?

You can use ebay, but you'll get charged the usual sellers and paypal fees so probs not worth your while listing them there unless you do complete runs.

The best place to sell them are via the subredditand bleeding cool forum. Going rate is $1 a code which works out around 60p, it's rule that the buyer sends the money via "this is going to friend" option in paypal so you don't get charged anything.

You can offer subscription through same sites, that way you don't have to go through bother of listing codes each week, I sub to a bunch that way, message your punter when you have the code and do the exchange.

All depends if you can be arsed with the bother but if you have ten pulls a month that's £6 you can get back with little effort.

The codes all have expiry dates next to the redemption sticker, in my experience the expiry date is accurate to the date. If you do put any kind of list together feel free to give me a PM. I have a few holes in my digital sets so may take some off you (or sub)!