Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: sheldipez on 19 February, 2014, 11:16:53 AM
This mean Ock continues on as Superior. Slott writes these solicitations so he may be just having fun. Sure there was one or two boarders that was following Superior..

Superior Spider-Man has been the best comic out there for the past year (for my money, anyway) and it sounds like it will continue as a title - but I am increasingly convinced it'll continue under the pen of Peter David and focus on Miguel O'Hara / Spider-Man 2099.

sheldipez

Quote from: Greg M. on 19 February, 2014, 04:59:48 PM
Quote from: sheldipez on 19 February, 2014, 11:16:53 AM
This mean Ock continues on as Superior. Slott writes these solicitations so he may be just having fun. Sure there was one or two boarders that was following Superior..

Superior Spider-Man has been the best comic out there for the past year (for my money, anyway) and it sounds like it will continue as a title - but I am increasingly convinced it'll continue under the pen of Peter David and focus on Miguel O'Hara / Spider-Man 2099.

The Spider-Man 2099 book has been confirmed, BUT Peter David has said he has not been approached.

Greg M.

That's surprising - he definitely has an as-yet unannounced book coming up with Marvel, so that seemed a natural fit. Wonder what he's actually writing then?

Professor Bear

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel just haven't assigned a creative team to Spidey 2099 yet.  A lot of the big franchise spin-offs take a pass around the editorial round table first so that direction and tone, characters used, story beats, and sometimes even full plots can be agreed upon before the actual writing and drawing is farmed out to someone.  David might yet end up being asked to write it.

Quote from: sheldipez on 19 February, 2014, 04:13:06 PM
If you do put any kind of list together feel free to give me a PM. I have a few holes in my digital sets so may take some off you (or sub)!

PM sent!

The Cheat

B.P.R.D, Hell On Earth - The Reign Of The Black Flame #002

Plot advancement, funny moments, and some beautiful art. What more can you ask for? Loved the shot of the Black Flame looking out over Manhattan.

Fables #138

Never disappoints. Spoiled a little by the knowledge that the series is ending, makes it hard to believe in the magnitude of the threat presented by Gipetto's return to power when we know things are going to be wrapping up soon. Braun's art isn't too jarring as a replacement for Buckingham.

Savage Dragon #193

Hmm, new start for the book. Seems like Larsen is going for an early Spider-Man vibe, with a younger lead, establishing Malcolm's school mates as a supporting cast, e.t.c. A few hmm moments, the rant about Asian women's figures, the casual caving in of the babies head, but not a bad start overall. I don't love Savage Dragon, but it's always an enjoyable read, and I'm a sucker for the art.
Meh!

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 2/26/14

2000 AD 1870 - We're heading into another new slate of strips in a week or two I think. STRONTIUM DOG wraps up this Prog, I'll miss it. I've generally liked the direction the strip is going in, though it feels like its rush toward a conclusion a little too fast.
THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS 18 - I've sort of lost the plot at some point her, might need to do a reread sometime soon.
TRANSFORMERS: REGENERATION-ONE 99 - One more issue to go. This series will be missed.
THE WALKING DEAD  122 - Behind, will catch up latter.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 13 - I read the first chapter of STEALTH SYMPHONY immediately after the new issue downloaded, and I've got to say its one of the most interesting first chapters in a while. Its world is wacky, and it hasn't fallen into the 'high school life' trap (yet). I like the set up quite a bit, and it does look quite good. I'm looking forward to more. Current line-up is actually pretty strong IMO, and another consistent weekly series will really help shore it up some more.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

sheldipez

Had a look through whats coming out this week and I got like 20 pulls again. It's too depressing listing them all so I'm doing a change: 

Stuff I'm looking forward to!

Tomb Raider #1 - I liked the game and I like Gail Simone and the art so trying this out.
Wake #6 - really loved the first arc. Snyder claims the 2nd arc is different genre and style.
Satellite Sam #6 - a great black and white, who-done-it drama. Worth a read.
Walking Dead #122 - gonna be gutted when this goes back to regular monthly waits again
Miracleman #3 - first time I've read through these, haven't blown me away yet but they've been really interesting to read through after hearing so much about them
Bloodshot And H.A.R.D. Corps #0 - this is the only Valiant re-launch book I've followed. Been really enjoyable super soldier nonsense throughout (the first arc or two was penned by Duane Swierczynski; worth checking out if you want evidence that he can actually write decent stuff outside of IDW's Dredd!)
Origin II #3 - Issue #1 has been a highlight, stuff got weird in #2. The original is one of my favorite Marvel things so if it comes close then that's good enough for me.

I'm not comparing the two but I've been enjoying Weekly Shonen Jump more than the prog recently but a new line up is a coming soonish so that may change.

Link Prime

It's a busy-ish week for me;

Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland 4 (Joe Hill- can ye do no wrong man?)
Wake 6 (Act two kicks off- snippets of the future world glimpsed so far show promise).
Origin II 3 (Despite myself, loving this- Gillen is such a good writer / Kubert is an amazing artist).
Miracleman 3 (More Moore reprints...price is a bit crazy though. Why didnt I wait for the trade?)
Transformers Regeneration One 99 (One issue to go after this- my 2nd childhood is almost over  :'( )
Superior Spider-Man 28 (They better reveal who The Green Goblin is before I bail on Spidey at the end of this arc!).

Link Prime

Quote from: sheldipez on 25 February, 2014, 10:44:08 AM

Patiently waiting for the Comixology sale...

Ancient Otter

I held off on it because it looked and sounded so typically Howard Chaykin, is it really good?

sheldipez

Quote from: Link Prime on 25 February, 2014, 06:12:52 PM
Superior Spider-Man 28 (They better reveal who The Green Goblin is before I bail on Spidey at the end of this arc!).

Totally forgot this was coming out, #27 was a killer issue, hope it continues at this crazy break-neck pace!

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 25 February, 2014, 08:17:26 PM

I held off on it because it looked and sounded so typically Howard Chaykin, is it really good?

I don't think I've touched any of Chaykin's other stuff (I jumped on this due to liking writer Matt Fraction) so can't make any comparisons, other than say I really dig his art, sometimes in large crowd scenes characters can get a bit muddled as everyone tends to wear suits (and often facial hair) and it's black and white so there's no light brown haired dude or guy that wears a blue suit to identify people. I think it'll read better in trade if that helps, the breaks don't feel natural.

BPP

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 25 February, 2014, 08:17:26 PM

Whats 'typical' Chaykin? The perversity of Black Kiss? The fun of Amerikan  Flagg? The pulpy beats of Family Man?

If anything its halfway between Century West (quite conservative figures with a taste for sex) and Black Kiss (love of 1950s Americana) but while the writer indulges HC's love of good girl art its plotted differently to anything he's worked on before. The only 'issue' with it is the large cast and similar looks of characters mean re-reading is a constant requirement when a new issue comes out. Top comic tho.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Adventurer

Apparently Nemo: Roses of Berlin came out (digitally at least) this week. I devoured it once I found out. I liked it pretty well, but not as much as Heart of Ice though. I think part of that was how much untranslated German was used, those pages went by to fast because there wasn't anything I could read.

But visually the book is in top form.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Sorry tangent here but best place for this.

THEY'RE CANCELLING JONAH HEX

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Hawkmumbler

And with that DC disposed of the only series I bothered with anymore. Even if it was only via trades. Are they trying to get people to hate them?