Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Weekly Shonen Jump #20: Seraph of the End is slowly growing on me. It's not high class entertainment, but it at least has some potential, even at this point.

Deadman Wonderland 2: Continues to intrigue. Really great series, recommended for any Battle Royale Fans.

Gangsta 1: Heard so much about this series and now it's finally getting a release in English. It's bloody good stuff as well! Some brilliant action scenes theoughout.

Link Prime

Quatro for me this week;

Batman 30; Threading water like a Navy Seal. These lackluster few months have prompted me to boycott the 1st issue of 'Batman Eternal' (that and the fact there aint no way I'm adding a weekly US comic to the pile).
Unwritten Apocalypse 4; Still behind on this, looking forward to a good sit down & read.
Superior Spider-Man 31; And so ends my mid-30's dalliance with good 'ol Spidey. Peter returned last issue of course, leaving this one to wrap-up the enjoyable, bonkers and fast paced run.
X-Force 3; Really enjoying Spurrier's take so far. Will post a review in the Marvel thread when the 1st arc is finished.

BPP

Rover Red Charlie #5 - Garth's best comic in years.
BPRD - black flame ##4 - same ole, same ole
Stray Bullets: Killers #2 - number 1 was one of the best comics of the year so far.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Monarch

sonic universe: solid end to the story

megaman: already been mentioned in this thread as to how good it is so enjoy this instead http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2014/04/18/560-nana-gives-it-her-all/

unwritten: this series is being bought on obligation now i have not enjoyed it since the fables snuff arc but i wanna see how it ends

one piece 70 only just now found a copy shonen jump peoples buy this it has the start of the current dressrosa arc

Hawkmumbler

Pulls:

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #11: A bit behind on this. Need to catch up via GN's.

Mega-Man #36: I see what Adventurer means, this is indeed very entertaining stuff. Helps i'm vaguely fond of the material at hand but I was amazed at how invest I got in Willy's internal struggle. Oh, and a Ace Attorney cameo to boot. :lol:

Weekly Shonen Jump #21: Bleach is making me feel all fuzzy at the moment and I don't know why.

The Adventurer

Digital Pulls for 04/23/14

2000 AD 1878 - Current line-up isn't quite setting my thrill receptors on fire. Its solid, but not the most exciting. JUDGE DREDD is a bit of a slow burner, SLAINE is readable but just as pointless as its always been, OUTLIER needs a serious twist to not be MARAUDER 2: MARAUD HARDER, SINISTER-DEXTER is good but not at its best, and JAEGIR feels like its missing something... iconic to make it really memorable.
ELTINGVILLE CLUB (One-Shot) - Its Evan Dorkin writing and drawing. There's no reason for me NOT to pick this up.
THE FUSE 3 - Got the first 2 issues on sale, and it suprised me with how good this is. Like police procedurals? Like near future sci-fi? Check it out.
THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS 20 - Man, end of the last (two) issues kind of made me mad. I hope there's a twist to reverse the twist.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 259 - This arc seems to be a lot of action, not much on the characters. I like this series more when the characters get more interaction time. Still good.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 21 - Great fight scenes in Bleach the last couple weeks, though I feel the reality warping baddie is gonna get jobbed when he should be invincible. I kinda wish I had more background on some of these characters and their motivations. But its still entertaining. Does fights a lot better then Naruto does.

I recently did a count, and I'm down to only 17 ongoing monthly titles (not including 2000 AD/Jump), I generally like to be closer to 20, so I'm sort of hunting around for some new titles. Stuff I'm looking at this week...

HEROBEAR & THE KID: SAVING TIME 1 - I loved the original mini-series of this. I really should check this out.

Then I went and looked at the Previews catalog for April 2014. And god damn, is there nothing jumping out at me. Maybe we're just in a slow period for comics?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

The pull list cuts have been cruel, but financially sound.

Only Rogue Trooper 3 for me this week, and I'm looking forward to it.

Hawkmumbler

Wow. The new Comixology app is getting a hounding. Has anyone downloaded it yet? Whats up with it?

The Adventurer

The ComiXology reader app is exactly the same as the previous app, with the store front stripped out. Its reader function is perfectly fine.

MY DIGITAL PULLS FOR 04/30/14
2000 AD 1879 - What's pissing me off about SLAINE, is that this woman was kidnapped. But before Slaine can get save her, she just appears on the beach having escaped. And this doesn't appear to be part of some scheme to get at Slaine, she just randomly escaped, swam across open water, and ended up on the same beach as Slaine. This is why I have problems with Pat Mill's writing. Happenstance abound.
EGOs 4 - First arc was pretty great (Living Galaxy bad guy never really feeling 'Galaxy Sized' at any point aside). If you like sci-fi future super-heroes at all. You'll dig this I think.
MEGA MAN 36 - Came out last week digitally, not quit the emotional megamix of the previous issue, but Doctor Wily's internal struggle was pretty interesting. Dr. Light is a bit of a dick.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 22/23 - No issue next week. Nooooooooooooo...

Hawkmumbler

Well just downloaded it myself and that really is a load of fuss over nothing. Considering you would need an internet conection to access the store if it was on the app anyway what does it really matter? :|

Anyway, small haul this week with only Weekly Shonen Jump #22/23 besides the prog. The lack of one punch man next week will mean we will get it for two week in a row afterwards but thats not what i'm excited about. HUNTER X HUNTER is coming back and will be a part of the line up! Holy crap yes! Heard so much about this series it's meant to be mega good fun.

The Adventurer

I've heard a lot of good things about Hunter X Hunter too, and like what I read in the preview chapter VIZ offers on their app. 

Hawkmumbler

Oh yes! Only problem is i'll libly enjoy it enough that i'll want to buy the 20 odd volumes thus far. And I can not afford to spend any more money on comics ATM! My pull list is tiny in comparison to others but my budget is sufficiently smaller, I should imagine.

Looking at the solicitations for next week it seem's I have quite a few titles. Saga#19, The Royals #4, and and The Maxx #7. Blimey!

Recrewt

Quote from: The Adventurer on 28 April, 2014, 10:15:46 PM
2000 AD 1879 - What's pissing me off about SLAINE, is that this woman was kidnapped. But before Slaine can get save her, she just appears on the beach having escaped. And this doesn't appear to be part of some scheme to get at Slaine, she just randomly escaped, swam across open water, and ended up on the same beach as Slaine. This is why I have problems with Pat Mill's writing. Happenstance abound.

You don't find it interesting that every time Slaine thinks about not bothering and going to a party instead, she turns up to lure him to that island? 

BPP

Quote from: Recrewt on 29 April, 2014, 01:59:02 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 28 April, 2014, 10:15:46 PM

You don't find it interesting that every time Slaine thinks about not bothering and going to a party instead, she turns up to lure him to that island?

It also beats 'Slaine, the not very much happens comic because it's hard to hook up 2000 years before cell phones'
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Link Prime

Just a few this week;

Judge Dredd: Mega City Two 4 (judging from comments elsewhere on the forum, a cracking issue awaits).
Origin II 5 (the finale to Gillen & Kubert's mini, pure adamantium compared to Origin I's recycled aluminium).
X-Force 4 (still loving this. Spurrier is delivering a pretty decent read so far. It's the only 'X' book left on my pull list, which speaks for itself).

Annnnd...

Amazing Spider-Man 1 (swore I wouldn't, but my LCS is selling it for a crazy 3 Euro. Sure I had to).