Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Some titles a little off form this haul, others on belting form.

Start of with my newbie being Justice League United 0 like Jeff Lemire, like Mike McKone and really wanted to see what happened to Animal man post his own series, but this was a bit rubbish and much work to be done if its to last past its three issue trial. The Mercenary Sea 3 probably hasn't done enough to get past its 3 issue trial and yet I'm intrigued enough to get next issue. Not much rope left though but a definite improvement on last issue.

Jonah Hex 30 was one of the series rare dip month's for me, still good, just not great and I wasn't as impressed with Staz Johnson's art as I expected to be. We'll see how things go. Oh and even Jose Garcia Lopez's art couldn't really save the back up. Shame.

Wonder Woman 30, Lazarus 8 were solid but not spectacular issues, so again a dip by both series high standards. Batman 30 was good, I guess but christ this series is really trying my patience. I want to last out until Year Zero ends to see what comes up after but I'm not sure I can be bothered.

Stars of the week by far are The Massive 22 with another brilliant issue and The Saviors 4 which is proving a quite superb series, if only they'd get a letter on board!

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 May, 2014, 09:24:51 PM
Batman 30 was good, I guess but christ this series is really trying my patience. I want to last out until Year Zero ends to see what comes up after but I'm not sure I can be bothered.

I'm with you here Colin.
Yeah, it's a well enough told story, yeah it's nicely illustrated by Capullo, but Jayses if it ain't a slog I dunno what is.
IMO it was an ambitious mistake to let this run for a year. I didn't hear anyone clamouring for more Batman back-story, let alone stuff that overwrites pre-Nu-52 classics (ah, why do I even care anymore?).
Anyway, like yourself, I've come this far, I may as we'll finish it- I want to see what's next.

This week:

Wake 8 (HUGE rug-pull at the end of last issue- what the f-ck is going on??? Dying to find out).
Miracleman 5 (New to me, as I know it is to some others. Unsurprisingly great).
Nail Biter 1 (The relentless culls have made space for the odd try-out or two. Previews of this are jaw-dropping, so it gets a look in).

The Adventurer

DIGITAL PULLS FOR 05/07/14

2000AD 1879 - Did somebody say INDIGO PRIME is back?! John Smith madness is always welcome.
ASTRO CITY 12 - First Astro City comic to ever have a guest artist. Will be quite a strange experience.

No WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP this week. My tears run like rivers.

More tiny weeks. There might be a Sonic the Hedgehog comic out (because the digital release scheduled is goofy like that) but I won't know until Wednesday.

Image Comics also gave me like 100 comics for free. So I'm not short for reading material right now. Also SEX, ELEPHANTMEN 51, and DANGER CLUB were all pretty good.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 May, 2014, 10:08:27 PM
Also SEX, ELEPHANTMEN 51, and DANGER CLUB were all pretty good.

Yeah Sex is a very under-rated gem. It may have done itself a disservice by being so bold in the way it handles its eponymous subject. Its does play a part in the series but its not that big a deal and I do wonder if its dissuaded some readers who might otherwise have found out there's a very good comics behind all the tits and pricks.

Link Prime

I do kind of regret giving up on Sex (Har Har) after issue 4.
Will pick up some back-issues as soon as it's on sale.

Astro City & Black Science are also on digital sale-watch.

Hawkmumbler

The Maxx #7 - Hey look, Pitt. Never read Pitt before. I heard it wasn't very good. This was  enjoyable as usual tough.

The Royals: Masters of War #4 - Still bloody good fun. Enjoying this tour of the world super powered monarchies.

No WSJ. Was hoping for an annual but nope.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 06 May, 2014, 10:30:42 PM
The Royals: Masters of War #4 - Still bloody good fun. Enjoying this tour of the world super powered monarchies.

This out Hawk?
Slipped by me, but no doubt I'll be able to pick up a copy tomorrow.

The Adventurer

Then add Royals to the list. Last issue really upped the stakes a bit.

Colin YNWA

I think I'll defo be picking The Royals in trade. I'm hearing so many good things about it, which is hardly surprising given the creative team involved.

Hawkmumbler

Claymore volumes 20 to 24 just landed on my doorstep as well. I'm now up to date. Loving this grungy, fantasy manga too bits. The art has come a long way from being quite unappealing to a work of O'Niel esque beauty.

BPP

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 May, 2014, 10:11:41 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 06 May, 2014, 10:08:27 PM
Also SEX, ELEPHANTMEN 51, and DANGER CLUB were all pretty good.

Yeah Sex is a very under-rated gem. It may have done itself a disservice by being so bold in the way it handles its eponymous subject. Its does play a part in the series but its not that big a deal and I do wonder if its dissuaded some readers who might otherwise have found out there's a very good comics behind all the tits and pricks.

Read the first 5 issues of Sex and found it one of the most boring, dull 1%'er Superhero pap snoozefests committed to paper; pandering in the most dis-empowering portrayals of female sexuality (in what little of it did feature sex, most of it was a man on a balcony having an internal monologue). Mind you, I stayed with it for longer than Sex Criminals, a comic where two middle aged men tell you about the experience of adolescent female masturbation. Icky.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Keef Monkey

The Royals has been brilliant, and issue 3 was definitely a shocker. #4 doesn't seem to be on Comixology yet but will definitely be picking it up. Got the new issue of The Punisher as well, other than that I'm playing catch-up on a bunch of old series so my new comics day tends to be me buying old stuff!

The Adventurer

Astro City isn't on ComiXology yet either. I wonder if there's an issue with Vertigo titles?

Link Prime

Dunno about Astro City, but Royals is definitely due next week according to Midtowns listings.