Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

CBR listed it as yesterday though. So does Vertigo's own sight. :|

Link Prime

Who knows Hawk, could be any number of reasons.
Something to look forward to regardless, it's Williams' best non-2000AD stuff since Cla$$war.

Mardroid

I went into my comic shop hoping my order of Royals #3 was there. (It was.) After ordering the 2000 AD I left the shop with the new Amazing Spiderman (an extra long jump on issue) and Original Sin #1 along with Royals. Both on the comic guy's recommendation. He's definitely doing his job! Heh.

I'll let you know what I think of them when I've read them. I spent this evening (well part of this evening. I actually fell asleep for a big chunk of it) reading the FCBD Prog. Rather nice it was too.

Mardroid

Okay. Original Sin is essentially a who-done-it with multiple Marvel characters investigating. One episode in... it's pretty good so far. As was Amazing Spiderman #1 although tonally rather different. Quite amusing in fact. If actually felt more like an anthology housing several other strips. A couple of those involved characters who will turn up later, so their strip really functions as an early POV for that character. Inhumans #1 was also included although I think it will get is own comic next month. It was pretty good too.

That picture of Peter Parker on front cover makes him look like a nutter though. I'm not sure if that's was the artist's intention or not.

Link Prime

A few good uns this week:

Royals: Masters of War 4 (2000AD Droids at their non-Prog best).
Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland 6 (A mighty fine IDW mini, penultimate chapter).
Starlight 3 (Mark Millar's pulpy series has made it to the issue 3 milestone- loving it).
X-Force 5 (I may be the only comic reader on Earth enjoying this, but I don't care! Bodyslide by One).
Afterlife with Archie 5 (I believe this is the end of the first arc- taking its time shipping, but Francavilla is worth the wait).

Hawkmumbler

OK, let's try this again....

Royals: Masters of War #4:.....'Triple checks solicitations' Yup. Defo getting is is week. Can't effing wait!

Saga #19: Finally jumping onto this monthly after catching up via the trades. Goodie good!

Weekly Shonen Jump #24: Just a moment for One Piece please. How is it possible that after fifteen years the same Ussop joke still make's me laugh every time? Damn it Oda, I am not your gag slave!!!

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 May, 2014, 09:45:36 PM

Saga #19: Finally jumping onto this monthly after catching up via the trades. Goodie good!

Don't think it's out til next week!  :-\

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Link Prime on 13 May, 2014, 09:49:16 PM

Once again, CBR fucking me over. Images own sight has set me right. Dammit.

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 05/14/14

2000 AD 1881 - I apparently forgot to buy 1880 last week. So double the thrill power for me this week.
FABLES 140 - The framing of this arc suggests we're going to see the end of Fabletown. The series really is starting to wrap up.
ROYALS: MASTERS OF WAR 4 - At first I wasn't too warm to this series because despite super-humans existing, history wasn't much different from ours.  But now.... all bets are off.
SONIC UNIVERSE 63 - This series is definitely a bit weaker then the main Sonic the Hedgehog comic, but still more enjoyable then a lot of action/adventure comics out there.
STAR WARS 17 - Fell behind, then got caught up with the Dark Horse anniversery sale. Still pretty great space opera. To bad it ends at the end of the year.
THINK TANK: FUN WITH PTSD one-shot - Think Tank is genuinely a really smartly written series. I'm glad to see it back, hopefully season 2 will be starting up soon.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 24 - Hoo-boy, was I missing this title last week. Everything (that I like) was in top form. Also... Toriko can be seriously f-ed up sometime  :o

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

BPP

Quote from: Link Prime on 13 May, 2014, 09:49:16 PM

Are you saying CBR is LYING!

:P
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Hawkmumbler

OK, let's try this again....

Royals: Masters of War #4:.....'Triple checks solicitations' Yup. Defo getting is is week. Can't effing wait!

Mars Attacks First Born #1: Really like me some Mars Attacks. And Sam Kieth is one of my favourite comic artists around ATM.

Weekly Shonen Jump #24: Just a moment for One Piece please. How is it possible that after fifteen years the same Ussop joke still make's me laugh every time? Damn it Oda, I am not your gag slave!!!

Chopped out Saga and added Mars Attacks First Born to my pull list as well. I'm glad i'm getting a greater income ATM!  :o

BPP

Huge week comics wise...

The Field #2
Astro city #12
Royals MOW #4
Walking Dead #127
starlight #3
Stray Bullets Killers #3
shutter #2
Hellboy #6
Abe Sapien #12
Judge Dredd #19
Next testament #9
Minimum Wage #5
Auteur #3
Weird Love #1

Eeks.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mardroid

United States of Murder Inc. #1
Imagine an alternate reality where the Mafia gained power instead of losing it and a big chunk of the USA was actually conceded to them where their activities were legal. An interesting premise following the path of a newly 'made' man. written by Brian Bendis. Drawn by Michael Oeming.

This is their next thing since writing Powers, apparently. The writing sets things up well. The characters talk in a rather caricatured way, yet it works. The art style is rather cartoony, and appears simplistic at first glance, but it fits the noirish tone very well as does Taki Soma's colouring. I forget the correct term, but she uses a lot of fills, employing little in the way of shading and it works.

A double length episode. Highly recommended if you'd like something different. Contains a bit too much swearing for my taste.

Jupiter's Children #1-3. Mark Millar and Frank Quietly. The first issue actually collects the first three, a bargain for £3.00. And its pretty good so far.

[spoiler]It follows the idea that superheroes in this world were introduced as an answer to the Depression of America's 1930s. They set up as an ideal to help the public aspire. But what if in the present world (2013) a large chunk of them got too big for their tights and decided just being an ideal was not enough?

This follows the son and daughter of The Utopian (the leader and greatest of the heroes, the one who set them up and in the first place. Incidentally these kids are already far outside their parents' ideal) and their place in the modern world of superheroes their role in the repercussions...[/spoiler].

Shaping up to be a rather intelligent story. I know there are many Millar dislikers on this board but I think even they might like this if they only gave it a shot...

I picked up the trade of Daredevil: Born Again too. I've yet to read it (I think I got it from the library years ago but I've forgotten it) but very much looking forward to it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 May, 2014, 06:52:59 AM
I picked up the trade of Daredevil: Born Again too. I've yet to read it (I think I got it from the library years ago but I've forgotten it) but very much looking forward to it.

Oh you should be looking forward to it, you should. Classic is a much over used superlative but in reference to Born Again it is well used. For me probably Miller's best work.

Mardroid

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 18 May, 2014, 07:23:02 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 18 May, 2014, 06:52:59 AM

Oh you should be looking forward to it, you should. Classic is a much over used superlative but in reference to Born Again it is well used. For me probably Miller's best work.

I read through it today (I really should pace myself better) and I totally agree. I can confirm I have read it before, but it was a while back and it's great to own a copy.

I think I might prefer this to the Dark Knight Returns but, to be fair, it's been a while since I read it. I seem too get the impression that one went too far down the dark gritty route for my taste.