Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 May, 2014, 10:48:32 AM
Remembering the wait for issues of The Kindly Ones was my main reason for deciding to pass on flop0y Overtures.

I was getting it in floppy format back then too Cosh, genuinely don't remember any big lulls in between issues.
Seeing as I was 16 at the time I probably had more urgent concerns, mind!

Davek

One of my favorite issues of Prophet this week, #44, since this re-boot started - bit abstract this issue but probably will give more insight into whats behind the Earth Empire when the series is complete and I read back past issues together.  Best thing about issues of Prophet like this is that it doesnt matter if it makes complete sense - it just feels poetic and magical.  As the series comes to and end soon I am sure this issue will stick out as a highlight alongside #26 (the all Brandon Graham issue).

Colin YNWA

Well you know sometimes when you read things 'monthly' you sometimes feel a bit of a thick twat as you can't really piece all the bits together from last time you read the story well had a few of these this haul... oh go on say you do too and its not just me being a thick twat... ahem... anyway... when this happens its gives you a real good indicator of how much you like a series and I'm pleased to say this has led to a lot of positives.

Firstly FBP 10. I was struggling a little with who was who, cos I was misplacing character in this alternative dimensions fun fest. New secrets were revealed (I think) which led to intriguing stuff. Might well be missing some stuff but really want to go back and get it all straight in my head which is a very good sign.

Similarly Fatale 22 had some nice background on our villian which in turn was revealing stuff about our femme fatale... I think... again looking forward to a good old re-read of this when we're done to see if all the piece I think I have actually do fit together.

Elsewhere Hinterkind 7 didn't exactly throw me but again getting my head straight about the various journeys and plots being had took me a wee bit to get in gear with BUT again looking forward to heading back to get it all in one go. There is one chunk I've not quite related to the rest yet though.

Wonder Woman 31 was great and while all the bits are there this month I'm now really looking forward to Azzarello and kinda Chiang's run ending so I can go back as I think read as one this will give a heck of a lot more?

The Maxx 7 I bloody love but just as I think I'm starting to get my head around things you get a curve ball like this months... what the chuff was all that about... so The Pitt (I think) shows up and they all get small... oh man though this is still great and YEP you guessed it re-read all round at some point.

So it interesting that I'm loving all the stories that are throwing me and calling for re-read some of the others, not always so much. Mercenary Seas 4 is really pretty straight forward and I keep thinking I'm going to drop but always improves just enough issue by issue to keep me hanging in and I still have hope for this one. Nightcrawler 2 likewise doesn't offer enough but to my surprise this Chris Claremont comics rushes to it 3 issue test point with me having high hopes it will somehow get through, all be it by the skin of its teeth. Justice League United 1 (2 really what was the point of calling the first issue 0?) only just makes it to the three issue test point and I really doubt this will get through though this issue is better.

The stuff I got a grip on though ain't all just good (remember if you have a care to my criteria these days is I have to love a comic, not just like it for me to continue with it and there's enough out there to make this work I'm glad to say) some of it is wonderful. The Victories 11 will defo be getting a re-read when this is all done but I'm following it fine and it really is quite fantastic. Rocket Girl 5 if this had been the end of a mini - as I think was originally planned? - then it would have been a little light and unsatisfying. As the end to the first arc it bloomin' superb and I can't wait for this to return in September. So much intrigue!

Finally Flash Gordon 2 is straight forward adventure comics done just about perfectly. From art to story this is just a joyous romp and once again Messes Parker and Shaner get book of the haul. Quite stupendous. This has passed its three issue trial after just 2 issues!

Oh and where's my Cyclops 1? Wasn't with my pulls - boooo

Link Prime

A tumbleweed week;

Batman 31 has been delayed for us UK & Eire readers, so this week it's a solitary;

Trees 1 (I'm going in completely blind on this, but a creepy middle-aged beardie wierdie in a fedora is holding my hand).

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 05/28/14

2000 AD 1883 - Solid. Kind of unsure what's really going on in Indigo Prime, need to give this arc a reread at the end.
THE FUSE 4 - This series surprised me. I like its concept, its characters, and its first arc mystery is pretty good too. Check it out.
TREES 1 - Warren Ellis. High concept Sci-Fi. Give it to me. All of it.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 26 - All You Need is Kill ends next week! On the plus side you can do worse by not overstaying your welcome. But where Kill ends, Hunter X Hunter returns. So the average page count won't change. This issue gives us a double whammy of Yu-Gi-Oh!. So... hooray? One-Punch Man seems to be MIA for the moment. Sad Face.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #12: Gojira battles Manda, Titanosaurus and Gezorah (really!?) and crashes down on the sub-terranians. Fun comic!

Trees #1: Like many, I was rather excited for this. Looks like it's gonna be sweet!

Weekly Shonen Jump #26: All You Need is Kill's penultimate chapter! I cry oceans of tears! It will be much missed. But yay! The return of HunterXHunter!  :D

Colin YNWA

Cameo from me tonight as I just received and read Cyclops 1 it was everything I expected but not quite what I hoped. It was a cool teen drama, a messed up superhero kid, shocked by seeing the man he will grow into has made some tough choices his idealised view of the world doesn't agree with running away to see his cool space pirate dad. So why not a success, well it was all so establishing. It was setting things up perfectly well, introducing characters nicely, setting the back ground for none x-readers like myself... but that was all. The action felt forced and attached and we had so much to set up none of it felt like it got the time it needed. Still now we've done that I have high hopes still for this one.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 29 May, 2014, 09:50:40 PM
Cameo from me tonight as I just received and read Cyclops 1 it was everything I expected but not quite what I hoped.

I expect nothing from this Colin!
The concept of bringing the teen X-Men from 30 years ago into the 'present' Marvel universe (and leaving them there) is one of the worst ideas Bendis has ever hacked up.

Colin YNWA

Yeah but a disillusion young uptight Cyclops fearful for this future cast into high space adventure with his freebootin' poppa - come on that's gold right there. Forget how it came about dunn't matter!

Hawkmumbler

Just picked up Jojo's Bizarre Adventure volumes 2, 3, and 4. This series is.....something else. Like Fist of the North Star is it was utterly self aware if it's over masculinity and utter insanity. The art is something else as well, possibly some of the best i've seen come out of the Jump.

The Adventurer

I'm watching the anime on Crunchyroll, its... a bit nuts. I like how its a generational story too and doesn't stick to one era for very long.

Its definitely cut from the Fist of the Northstar mold.

Hawkmumbler

The coke bottle scene has to be one of the most macho things ever.

"All I hear coming from you is BOLLOCKS, BOBBY!"

It's a shame theirs licensing issues with any arc other than Stardust Crusaders. Though I guess it saves me dabbling in a 100 volume series!

Oh, and while we're at it i'm down for a reprint of Fist of the Northstar. Theirs not enough retro manga on the market from the 80's.

The Adventurer

The licensing thing might have gotten worked out, since Crunchyroll is airing the material that happened before Stardust Crusaders. Hopefully that means more of the manga will be licensed in the future.

Most of Jojo's legal trouble stem from all the musician references and the RIAA being hardasses when it comes to that sort of thing. Fair use and parody be damned.

Hawkmumbler

Well the fact that Dio's henchman being called Vanilla Ice clearly went over their heads! Luckily each arc can be read in their own right, no real interlocking story arc (besides Dio)mso that makes it easier.

Their was also a Rohan spin-off GN which is the only none french comic in the Louvre  collection.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 May, 2014, 10:32:38 AM
Forget how it came about dunn't matter!

I can't forget!

Marvel have made enough of a mess out of the actual Cyclops for me to give a white shite about his time-displaced teen version.