Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

04/06/14

The Maxx #8- Conclusion to Pitt team up. Even by Maxx standards this is wierd! The tides have turned and the Isz are huge!

Weekly Shonen Jump #27: All You Need is Kill ends the only way it can. Great piece of sci-fi comic going on here that still manages to retain its human interactions. The trade is a must for me.

Link Prime

A square-meal week;

Batman 31 (Get on with it Snyder)
Wake 9 (Good work Snyder)
Judge Dredd: Mega City Two 5 (Didya see how lovely the Darick Robertson 'Magnum Force' variant cover is for this? http://www.pinterest.com/pin/401383385511508962/)
Miracleman 7 (Gift wrapped in a polybag. Thanks Alan!)

Frank

Link Prime

Hawkmumbler

Oooh. A Big Trouble in Little China comic written by Eric Powell? Well go on then!

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 04 June, 2014, 09:30:04 AM
Oooh. A Big Trouble in Little China comic written by Eric Powell? Well go on then!

Any good?

Hawkmumbler

If you enjoy the Carpenter film and/ or The Goon then get in their! It's as close to a sequel we'll ever get and certainly retains the over the top feel of the original.

Link Prime

Sounds like I might like it so.
I've huge nostalgic man-love for the movie, only watched it again recently too.

I'll admit to not having much exposure to Powell's stuff ('The Goon' is on that long list of critically acclaimed comics I never got round to).

Greg M.

I'm a massive Eric Powell fan, so this was a no-brainer for me, and I did indeed really enjoy it. Occasionally it skews more in the direction of The Goon than the source material (mostly the bit about Jack's second marriage) but it's virtually impossible not to hear Kurt Russell's voice when you read Jack's dialogue, and overall it's great fun.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 05 June, 2014, 05:43:24 PM
I'll admit to not having much exposure to Powell's stuff ('The Goon' is on that long list of critically acclaimed comics I never got round to).

Yeah same here. Always loved the art and the idea seemed fun so not sure why I never got to it?

BPP

Lobster Johnson
Caliban
The Wake
City of Courts

Only read Caliban so far, can't touch last weeks conclusion to Rover Red Charlie so felt it lacked a little something. The art is a tad sub-par, too many generic crew that make the dialogue hard to associate with specific characters.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mardroid

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 June, 2014, 05:39:50 PM
If you enjoy the Carpenter film and/ or The Goon then get in their! It's as close to a sequel we'll ever get and certainly retains the over the top feel of the original.

Yep. It's silly cheesy fun like the original film and good for it. Just read it today....

I'll admit, I didn't see that twist with 'Pete' coming...

Frank

Quote from: BPP on 05 June, 2014, 11:20:02 PM
can't touch last weeks conclusion to Rover Red Charlie

I only learned of the existence of this today. I'm holding each one of you personally responsible for that - if any one of you had asked me wouldn't you like to read Cormac McCarthy's The Road, except with dogs?, I'd already have been loaning it to friends for months.

Davek

Took a punt on That's Because You're a Robot next week.  Same artist as Bulletproof Coffin which I haven't read, and written by David Quantico who has been involved in some of some of my fave comedy TV shows.

Less of a punt on Corben's most recent Poe adaptation (Rue Morgue).

Frank

Quote from: Davek on 07 June, 2014, 09:32:05 PM
David Quantico who has been involved in some of some of my fave comedy TV shows

His editor is J Edgar Hover, and the book's published by FBImage comics.