Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: dirk jambo on 07 June, 2014, 08:52:12 PMI only learned of the existence of this today. I'm holding each one of you personally responsible for that - if any one of you had asked me wouldn't you like to read Cormac McCarthy's The Road, except with dogs?, I'd already have been loaning it to friends for months.

Really enjoyed Rover Red Charlie a lot more than recent Ennis outings and the comic books to which it will inevitably be compared - WE3 and Pride of Baghdad - but if it owes anything to literary roots, they would stem from Watership Down more than McCarthy's A Boy and His Dog rip-off.  RRC has pretty much everything from Watership, from the catastrophe the animal cast fail to understand to The General in pursuit, though the internal logic stretches badly thanks to the inclusion of the usual Ennis tropes, particularly the baffling shoehorning of a British accented-character into proceedings, and a direct lift from the Blackadder episode where he pretends to go barmy took me right out of the story and had me asking who the book was aimed at, much like the talking animals cast swearing like troopers, doggy rape, and the inclusion of topless ladies and bestiality in the final issue that will have even the most liberal of parents thinking twice about letting their kids read it, meaning the only audience for what is otherwise a charming Disney-esque romp complete with feelgood ending will likely only be read by Ennis' existing fans.  Hopefully it'll find a wider audience than that in trade form, because it certainly deserves to.

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 June, 2014, 01:52:03 AM
Really enjoyed Rover Red Charlie a lot more than recent Ennis outings ... had me asking who the book was aimed at, much like the talking animals cast swearing like troopers, doggy rape, and the inclusion of topless ladies and bestiality in the final issue that will have even the most liberal of parents thinking twice about letting their kids read it, meaning the only audience for what is otherwise a charming Disney-esque romp complete with feelgood ending will likely only be read by Ennis' existing fans. Hopefully it'll find a wider audience than that in trade form, because it certainly deserves to

It did veer oddly into Sexual Detective Agency territory with Herrmann's origin story, but I suppose Ennis figured all the bits where dogs behave the way dogs actually do had already lost him any potential crossover audience. I genuinely loved this in an uncomplicated and completely sincere way, which meant I bought and was left utterly bereft by the apparent ending, and loved the book with all my heart when it gave me the proper ending. I'm getting the trade to pass around folk who don't understand how brilliant comics can be, and I wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't like this story.

Ennis's negative portrayal of cats can be understood as a necessary corrective to 25 years of cat ass kissing from the Gaiman and Morrison camps.

Hawkmumbler

11/06/14

Thats Because Your a Robot (One-Shot)
: Shaky Kane madness by the looks of it. No doubt Colin will be digging this one too.

The Royals Masters of War #5: Damn sad this is gonna be wrapping up next week. Really is gloriously inovitive.

Weekly Shonen Jump #28:Stealth Symphoney continues to ramp up the pressure, and even at this point alot of the cast are starting to come out of the word work. Blue Exorcist is also a very welcome instalment.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 June, 2014, 01:03:13 PM
11/06/14
The Royals Masters of War #5: Damn sad this is gonna be wrapping up next week. Really is gloriously inovitive.

You're in luck Hawk, it's a 6-parter!

A trio this week;

Royals Masters of War 5 (Quite possibly series of the year for me).
Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland 7 (Final issue of this superior horror mini).
Starlight 4 (Not continuing as strong as the opener. On the chopping block).

Hawkmumbler

Hawkmumbler

And let me also amend my WSJ listing. Blue Exorcist is absent this month, despite it being advertised in the preview from last week.   :(

IronGraham

Sure they will explain why on the podcast
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Hawkmumbler

To be fair though, did anyone see the art in One-Punch Man this week? Jesus on a cream cracker!

IronGraham

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 06/11/14

2000 AD 1885 - Enjoying things right now.
ASTRO CITY 13 - Going into year two, I'm just as excited as I want for year one.
ROYALS: MASTERS OF WAR 5 - I really kind of hope Arthur isn't as trasparent as he seems. Caught god damn that guy is just a prick for the sake of being a prick.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 261 - Still a lot of fun. Not enjoying this arc as much as I'd hoped though.
STAR WARS 18 - Still pretty good. Its hard to get excited about it as much, because you know its wrapping up pretty quick.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 28 - Things have sort of coalesced into a standard line-up again. With ONE-PIECE (cool), BLEACH (neat), TORIKO (sweet), STEALTH SYMPHONY(radical), WORLD TRIGGER (enjoyable) HUNTER X HUNTER (keen), NARUTO (meh), and NISEKOI: FALSE LOVE (barf) as the weekly line-up. BLUE EXORCIST (interesting), SERAPH OF THE END (intriguing), and YU-GI-OH! ZEXAL (fartz) as monthlies. And ONE-PUNCH MAN (zarjaz) as kind of... whenever. Basicly. Things are pretty solid right now. Not that doesn't mean I don't want MORE, but you can't go wrong with WSJ right now.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Well there are few new comics coming the way of my pull list soon* as so some others need to be shed... though to be fair those that are going probably would be gone regardless. So Not much more to say about Justice League United 2 and Nightcrawler 3. Some how Batman 31 keeps that title still in the game. For the life of me I'm not sure why?

Elsewhere things are on better form. We have a starter in Infinity man and the Forever People 1, what can I say I enjoyed OMAC by the same team and I'm a sulker for the old Kirby stuff (of course) so always intrigued to see what the relaunches do. Slow to get going but by the end I reckon this one might be okay. C.O.W.L. 1 likewise gave me hope. Its not perfect but interesting enough and the concept is great. The art is fun but Rod Reis probably needs to develop past the Sienkwicz tribute act he currently seems to be... mind you could pick a lot worse influences to wear so clearly on your sleeve! Cyclops 2, now this is what I was expecting this series to be about. Blindin'.

My regulars are all on good form, Sex 13, Hinterkind 8, FBP 11, Jonah Hex 31, The Victories 12, all great if none of them is outstanding in relation to what their respective series can be. The Maxx  8 continues to baffle in the most delightful way. I think I might be making headway with whats going on after this issue... I await getting that flipped on its head next issue then! Douglas Wolk and Ulises Farinas overly long title Dredd Mini 5 ends quite wonderfully, looking forward to re-reading this one. The Massive 23 both worries and delights me. Probably issue of the haul but what is that Something About Mary? Well we'll be finding out soon as this great series enters its end phase.

*So that's whats in the haul. On the way we have:

Winterworld - Chuck Dixon's right wing politics do worry me a little, but he does write a certain type of comic very well. I think this will be that sort of comic.

Ragnarok- Walt Simonson - nuff said

Doctor Who - Eleven Doctor - completing a triple for IDW holding off on the tenth but with with this creative line-up now way I could wait on this one

Dark Horse Comics  - The lower priced relaunch is the perfect time for me to get on board with a series I really should have been getting for a while now!

Fade Out - Well as Fatale bows out another rises to take its place

Copperhead - A very 2000ad premise and a really nice preview has me giving this a go.

So while I'm not over worried about overload, so many of my favourite titles being only semi regular and a few more selling quite low and for which I fear the chop, with this many new editions on the way over the next few months a few titles need to buck up soon!

Hawkmumbler

18/06/2014

Veeeeery quite week.....

Axe Cop American Chopper #2: More slicey, dicey, utterly insane fun from this series. Axe Cop is one of my favourite crack titles, very much in the same vein as Doctor McNinja (which is the greatest thing ever). Looking forward to this in particular.

Weekly Shonen Jump #29: No one asked for a crossover where Nisokoi met an actually half decent rom-com. Do moving on to weather Stealth Symphony is gonna get the can or not....

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 June, 2014, 08:04:25 PM

Ragnarok- Walt Simonson - nuff said

Dark Horse Comics  - The lower priced relaunch is the perfect time for me to get on board with a series I really should have been getting for a while now!

Both on my radar too, Colin.
The latter, I may dip into digitally, the former I simply can't resist. And it'll have to be print format.

This week for me, a solitary Unwritten: Apocalypse number 6.

The Adventurer

Digital Pulls for 06/18/14

2000 AD 1886 - Due to finances, I'm actually a couple weeks behind. Oops.
FABLES 141 - Looks like we're getting back to the A-plot of Rose Red v Snow White. This arc would be really important leading up the end.
MANHATTAN PROJECTS 21 - Still pissed about Oppenheimer, and waiting for some kind of twist.
SAVAGE DRAGON 195 - Loving the flashback opening segments this arc has been giving us. Also, DART!
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 29 - A really Nisekoi heavy issue. Meh. And next week Toriko and World Trigger are on break! Wah!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IronGraham

Weekly Shonen Jump 29: very little to wow me world triggers and Toriko were solid. I really liked the preview for My love story and will pick up volume 1 the crossover was fine.